Completed the prep on the first of 2 budget blinds going in this year. I think I've mentioned before that my property access could change at any point, so i don't want to invest heavily. 

This blind was $5 all in and that was the total for the burlap. It stands 40" to all and spans about 10' from tip to tip. It'll wrap around a big tree that i have in mind. I wanted it big enough for me and my son in case he tags along this year.  I'll update another pic one it's setup.

IMG_20210407_184817185.jpg

IMG_20210407_184751473.jpg

IMG_20210407_191215778.jpg

IMG_20210407_191938040.jpg

IMG_20210407_191948648.jpg

Edited by Bolt action
  • Like 7

That's my plan. I want to go out Saturday to get this set up. I'll bring him with me to help me brush it in. Then we'll have a place big enough for him to sit with me on scouting runs. 

Budget blind 2 is going up in another few weeks. That one will be similar, but will have a platform about 8' up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update:

Budget Blind #2 was assembled and erected this weekend. I wanted another option that was large enough for me and my son to sit and enjoy the woods. Since I don't own the land and don't know how long I'll have this access, I don't want to invest much money in permanent structures. Getting the materials out to the location was the hardest part of this one. It's a mile hike from where I can park to where I set it up. I had to haul all of the lumber, tools, and a cooler with me by hand. Once it was there, the assembly was actually easy. I tipped the platform upside down and attached the legs and leg braces. then I dragged it into location and flipped it up. Once it was upright, I used a ladder to climb on top and was able to use a rope to hoist up the sides. 

The platform is roughly 4'x5'. I used 2'x6'pieces that I had laying around. the deck boards were pulled off of some larger pallets that I found. I framed the sides of the upper level using 2'x4' scrap. The walls are 32" tall. I also used a small piece of the 2'x6' installed horizontally between studs to serve as a shelf to hold binos, coffee, etc. The legs are standard landscape timbers. I attached the legs to the platform using 5" bolts with washers and nuts. The sides of the lower level are pallets. The cross braces are pieces of 5/16 decking. I wrapped the top and bottom with camo burlap that I bought awhile ago on sale. To help protect it from strong winds, I ran a length of chain around nearby (healthy) trees and attached them with winch straps so that I could adjust the tension. 

All in cost for this build was about $40 and was spent on hardware, the burlap, and the uprights.

I think I'll dub this one "The Outpost". It sits in the Southeast corner of the field, about 20' in from the field edge. The other side faces hardwoods with pretty good visibility. There is always lots of sign down in this corner and I hope to be able to intercept deer on their way into or out of the field which is usually soybeans or corn. There is no roof over the top, and thee ceiling for the lower level is more than 7'up, so I'll have plenty of room to draw a bow. 

blind5.jpg

Blind2.jpg

Blind3.jpg

Blind4.jpg

• Like 6

Both blinds look awesome! Nice work! The budget cost is an added bonus. Great planning. Will be all good to go, for some quality time with your son in the woods. That is priceless! Best of luck to ya this fall!

• Like 1

It's almost like a challenge that I give myself. I have an idea, and I want to see if I can make it happen without spending more than $X on it. My challenge with this project was to build a safe, elevated blind that was suitable for me + 1 for less than $100. I can't wait to get junior out there with me. I think I'll bring him on scouting missions with me before the season starts.

One thing I noticed was that the burlap doesn't really offer any concealment when the light is behind you on that top deck. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm watching deer in the woods (with the field behind me).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

It's almost like a challenge that I give myself. I have an idea, and I want to see if I can make it happen without spending more than $X on it. My challenge with this project was to build a safe, elevated blind that was suitable for me + 1 for less than $100. I can't wait to get junior out there with me. I think I'll bring him on scouting missions with me before the season starts.

One thing I noticed was that the burlap doesn't really offer any concealment when the light is behind you on that top deck. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm watching deer in the woods (with the field behind me).

To solve the see through burlap problem, just tack up some dead branches on the outside of the burlap, that you find on the ground nearby. Won't cost a thing, and will break up your outline nicely. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, grampy said:

To solve the see through burlap problem, just tack up some dead branches on the outside of the burlap, that you find on the ground nearby. Won't cost a thing, and will break up your outline nicely. 

Cheap and effective. I like it! I'll be back out there in another week or two to clean up shooting lanes and set up cameras. I'll bring along the drill and a few screws to brush in that top level.

• Like 1