Thoughts on this injury?

Five Seasons

From some other pictures I have, I'm certain this is a buck, I don't know which one as they've all dropped but these are the first I've seen of him with this wound. My first guess is a puncture of some kind, but I don't think arrow and given it just showed up recently I don't think antler.

thoughts?

EK000482.thumb.JPG.d474e1deb56adefb5b176f9fc64e821e.JPG

I think Fibromas are mostly found on the interior of a person / animal, typically masses found on organs or affixed to the chest cavity.  Looks like an old wound.
Cutaneous fibroma in deer are viral, on outside, and only skin deep. Meat and carcass unaffected unless the "warts" cause infection.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Cutaneous fibroma in deer are viral, on outside, and only skin deep. Meat and carcass unaffected unless the "warts" cause infection.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I've seen deer with those warts, doesn't seem to be what I see in the pic.

Edited by NYBowhunter

15 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I've seen deer with those warts, doesn't seem to be what I see in the pic.

I agree,my bow buck last year had those and they didn't look like the picture at all. Do they grow either outside or inside? I could see this being one if it is an "inny".

Edited by BowmanMike

It's small and growing. It'll look like what everyone "thinks" it'll look like by end of summer.

Injuries tend to have lighter skin/flesh coloration IMO - this darker base and the "pushed away" hide tell me its something growing out not from something coming in. 

Again, just my opinion.

if it were a slug hole, I'd think it's be a bit more traumatic looking. Who knows. Maybe it is.

Edited by phade

21 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I agree,my bow buck last year had those and they didn't look like the picture at all. Do they grow either outside or inside? I could see this being one if it is an "inny".

They can grow outside and inside, however those growing inside  would not be visible, the "inny" tumor would either be affixed to an organ or to the chest cavity. The outward fibroma atleast those I have seen don't look like that.

Just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like an exit hole of a bullet wound to me . Now if Belo could get another picture of the other side of the deer.  Im not ruling out Fibroma but it just doesn't look like that to me. Zoom in on it and you will see a white spot in the middle of the brown circle. That would be the exit hole with the dried up shredded meat around it. 

Seen a few of these and shot a couple deer that had that same wound. They survive that one every time. Bullet goes in just above the spine and goes right through the meat just under the fatty layer . It takes quite a while for that wound to heal but it doesn't affect the deer at all. One of the deer I shot that had that looked like at least a month old . It was infected and all crusty leaking out some fluid . No blood showing. Just crusty dried up shredded meat .The deer was fine out chasing Does . Well , he was fine till I shot him LOL . Those wounds look a lot lower on the body than they really are . 

Edited by SportsmanNH

It's hard to know what deer this is without the antlers, but they're pretty patternable right now. He's been hanging with another buck so I'm pretty sure I have pics of his other side and no obvious marks. 

I'm not ruling out bullet or arrow wound. I am leaning towards maybe a puncture from a barbed wire fence or something like that maybe. Also, to phade's point it will be interesting to see if this has just started to fester and will it grow. I'm only leaving 2 cams up to watch for trespassers, but I'm sure I'll get more pics in the future.