2021 Lawn Thread

BizCT

4/8/21:

First mow. Zero fertilizer. Not too bad. Avoiding chemicals this year for the baby’s sake.

I’ll do the back yard a little later with a cold beer to celebrate.

0f0b30b6a0aa963e497b69360d6fd7af.jpge34ae530c3b674776a934a0accc3add1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did my first mow on tuesday. I'm #2 in the neighborhood as far as I can tell. But applied my scotts step 1 in mid march when we got our first warm spell, so that fertilizer really kicks things in gear. Hoping it does a better job on the crab grass this year than it did last. 

Waiting on some seed to arrive. Getting close to needing a cut. af6df83330f3c1bd07c24e1aa25aa849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You adding topsoil? Or just scratching it up and spreading some seed. I am in the same boat after the late planting last year. The grass grew....but is real thin.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

You adding topsoil? Or just scratching it up and spreading some seed. I am in the same boat after the late planting last year. The grass grew....but is real thin.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Just scratching and tossing seed down. Bob’s dropping seed off after he gets home from vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, mowin said:

I'm at least 10 days to two weeks out before I start mowing. 

I am with you. Mine is going to need it with all this warm weather but my standing rule is not before May 1st or after October 15th. Once you start your are a slave to it. I would still rather blow it than mow it.

Question for all you " Lawn Gods " . How the heck do you get rid of lawn moss ! I noticed a couple years ago one spot on the side yard started getting it . Now it spread to 4 times the size. I put moss killer on it last year and it did help a little bit. But now its the worst its ever been. I've read to spray laundry detergent or dish soap mixed in warm water on it and it will kill it. The moss killer I used was 20 bucks a bag that only covered 300 square feet and realistically never got rid of it. Now the moss is probably covering 2000 square feet

6 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Question for all you " Lawn Gods " . How the heck do you get rid of lawn moss ! I noticed a couple years ago one spot on the side yard started getting it . Now it spread to 4 times the size. I put moss killer on it last year and it did help a little bit. But now its the worst its ever been. I've read to spray laundry detergent or dish soap mixed in warm water on it and it will kill it. The moss killer I used was 20 bucks a bag that only covered 300 square feet and realistically never got rid of it. Now the moss is probably covering 2000 square feet

This is what I do on my clients lawns. 

I spray with Burnout, or advenger both are a organic weed killer. Spray it good.  Till the area up good, and rake out as much of the roots as possible.  A couple days later I till in some good top soil and reseed. You don't have to till deep as the root system is shallow, but the key is to get as much as possible.  

Moss only grows in shady areas, so if you can eliminate some of the trees/limbs, that will help. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

This is what I do on my clients lawns. 

I spray with Burnout, or advenger both are a organic weed killer. Spray it good.  Till the area up good, and rake out as much of the roots as possible.  A couple days later I till in some good top soil and reseed. You don't have to till deep as the root system is shallow, but the key is to get as much as possible.  

Moss only grows in shady areas, so if you can eliminate some of the trees/limbs, that will help. 

Do you wait a week or so after spraying it before tilling it up ?  I only waited a couple days after putting the moss killer on last time . Then it spread everywhere I tilled over time. I read the instructions afterward that said to wait 2 weeks before doing anything . So I figure I'm the one that spread it around before the chems had a chance to kill it. 

Just now, SportsmanNH said:

Do you wait a week or so after spraying it before tilling it up ?  I only waited a couple days after putting the moss killer on last time . Then it spread everywhere I tilled over time. I read the instructions afterward that said to wait 2 weeks before doing anything . So I figure I'm the one that spread it around before the chems had a chance to kill it. 

I wait at until I see stuff starting to brown up. Its not as effective as roundup, but I won't use the stuff on clients lawns. If you don't mind using roundup, uses that. Get the concentrate and mix a little strong. 

On 4/8/2021 at 4:00 PM, outdoorstom said:

I could never understand using fertilizer on a lawn. Food plots, yes....lawn, no!

I am with you there.  I always look forward to a dry summer and the grass going dormant, so I dont have to cut it twice a week.  I only cut an acre, but there are many other things I would prefer to do with the hour that it takes me.