2021 Lawn Thread

BizCT

[mention=871]Biz-R-OWorld[/mention]
[mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention]
My opinion is YES, stick with ethanol free on your small engines.  Overtime it will deteriorate plastic, and rubber components in the engines fuel system, which will create buildup, etc...this buildup can clog filters, accumulate in the carb bowl, and in the jets, and so on.  If you decide to stick with regular gas(w/ethanol) try to keep the gas tank full when not in use(especially winter storage) I like to run them out of gas as ethanol slowly absorbs moisture, which can overtime start rusting/corrosion of carburetors...etc.  Same goes for your gas can you fill your equipment with...took a class on this stuff as I am a Parks Dept Foreman of 17 years.  Not an expert, but this is correct info.

I whipped up a nice batch of ethanol free and Seafoam for my outboard this year. My buddy is a boat mechanic and he's seen motors that ran like a watch for literally 75 years done in after just a couple with ethanol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

I whipped up a nice batch of ethanol free and Seafoam for my outboard this year. My buddy is a boat mechanic and he's seen motors that ran like a watch for literally 75 years done in after just a couple with ethanol

Yes sir, not good lol.  That’s proof right there in your story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Interesting my ‘84 Johnson has run on nothing but ethanol , since whenever it came out . I did rebuild the carbs last year . Good for another 35 years ! 

Also put new carbs on my ‘72 Arian’s snowblower a couple years back .

Not an engine guy never knew I should not run ethanol. 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

Interesting my ‘84 Johnson has run on nothing but ethanol , since whenever it came out . I did rebuild the carbs last year . Good for another 35 years ! 

Also put new carbs on my ‘72 Arian’s snowblower a couple years back .
Not an engine guy never knew I should not run ethanol. 
They didn't start adding ethanol to gas until the late 80's.....so you have had a good run.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

City planner?

If it makes you feel any better I paid way to much money and way to many years off my life to also have a degree in urban planning and city design..........................................................................................................

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Must not be a Weber?

nope, Dont need a Weatherby to kill a deer nor a Weber to cook it. 

I just dont trust them after 4 years. Hoses etc.  Had one many years ago with a leak on my deck and sister in law was using it.  All was ok but a little of a scare.  I buy one for $100 every 4 years, does the trick.  

• Like 2

I'm a non ethanol guy in small engines regardless of age or when I got the machine .

Side note anyone contemplating getting a zero turn just do it . My 20 year plus JD mower threw a rod in the fall. I ended up getting a smoking deal on a Ferris zero turn. Didn't get to use to much in the fall but its been stellar this spring .  Soon as I can mow my entire lawn ,some spots pretty wet I bet I can shave a solid 45 minutes off . Nothing but non ethanol in it for sure 

• Like 2

nope, Dont need a Weatherby to kill a deer nor a Weber to cook it. 
I just dont trust them after 4 years. Hoses etc.  Had one many years ago with a leak on my deck and sister in law was using it.  All was ok but a little of a scare.  I buy one for $100 every 4 years, does the trick.  

Weber lasts a lifetime. They’re amazing. I bet you bought one already, especially If you are buying a grill every 4 years. My current Weber grill is from 2007.

Fun Fact - I’ve never bought a Weatherby, all hand me downs. And never bought a Weber- prior homeowner asked if they could leave it during sale
Of house. I agreed to take it off their hands.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Weber lasts a lifetime. They’re amazing. I bet you bought one already, especially If you are buying a grill every 4 years. My current Weber grill is from 2007.

Fun Fact - I’ve never bought a Weatherby, all hand me downs. And never bought a Weber- prior homeowner asked if they could leave it during sale
Of house. I agreed to take it off their hands.

Yes I have owned a weber. Def good grills.  Just hackin on ya.  

But I don't want to have to replace parts and worry bout hoses cracking .  

• Like 1

Saturday I got everything back together. Blades replaced after a decade of mowing (I sharpen them each season), everything all greased, oil and filter changed, and a slow leak in the front tire fixed.

Wind rows were coming along until the rain came. Guess I can't bale it for hay now, but maybe mulch.
20210501_200442.jpg20210503_190633.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What is "ethanol free" gas? serious question. i've heard of it, but where do you buy it?

I just fill up my 5 gallon tank with 87 and run snowthrower and lawnmower on it every year without issue. For each machine I run it empty end of season and drain oil. 

Just be prepared to pay a lot more for it too

17 hours ago, Moho81 said:

The short quick version your standard 87 you use is ethanol which has about 10% plant in it (think corn) Ethanol free is 100% oil. 

Ethanol in your vehicle is not a big deal but ethanol in your small mower/snowblower engine can cause issues with the carburetors and fuel lines and it will gum these up over time especially when they sit for months at a time without being used. 

I think newer small engines fair better than the older models. I also think the amount of use is important. So something like a mower and snow blower used frequently and stored properly is less at risk of gumming up. But maybe a leaf blower, chain saw, string trimmer, pressure washer etc that is used only seasonally and less frequently can cause issues.

I use ethanol free in everything and also store everything full in the off season with sta-bil.

17 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Run 87 all summer and before storing it for the winter put some fuel additive in it like seafoam and run it for a while before putting it away. 

I have been running the same mower for 750 hrs./11 years, trimmer, snow blower, and ATV, with no fuel problems whatsoever using this. When I put them up for the winter or summer I add some sta-bil Amazon.com: STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabilizer - Guaranteed To Keep Fuel Fresh Fuel Up To Two Years - Effective In All Gasoline Including All Ethanol Blended Fuels - For Quick, Easy Starts, 4 fl. oz. (22205): Automotive  to the tank.

Everything starts second or third time after sitting for months at a time and run good for the season with no carburetor issues or repairs. I put fresh plugs in every year and an occasional fuel filter.

Available @ Walmart, Lowes, Runnings, Tractor Supply and others. Only takes about 2ozs. per 5 gallons of gas.

fuel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

937bafd5a5394f4802f8433f2e1b1488.jpg

What’s causing half my tree to die? I know it’s tough to see it with the background trees but the main branches to the left are totally dead and an off shoot to the right is dead too. Any tree guys (@TreeGuy ) out there with knowledge if this can be saved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

My yards looking decent. Love the ferris thus far, it kinda reminds me of a carnival ride its so fun! Lots of work to do still and not a ton of time to do it! The flag pole red put in is fantastic and is a real statement piece!!

F532A0CC-4F81-4A4C-815A-F7DAE97FEC54.jpeg

• Like 8