If Rifle Were Legal?

Five Seasons

I would go with my Ruger 10/22 if it was legal.  I have killed dozens of crows with that and it is very effective at ranges to about 125 yards.  I dont eat them, but I have not noticed excessive meat damage, using high velocity, Rem yellow jackets.

I would be very reluctant to use a centerfire rifle, based on a single experience many years ago with a 150 gr 30/06 soft point and a ruffed grouse.  It was struck near center of mass.  The bird basically exploded on impact, yielding very little edible meat, from a few of the larger chunks.  

Maybe a rimfire, (trying to stay non serious) lol.. Or I would use a close range pistol. Taking head shots only.

Otherwise absolutely not.. A turkey's head hardly ever stays still.. and a body shot with a centerfire probably would lose meat.. 

So i guess, no? lol 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I think like a few others mentioned, a shotgun would probably still be more effective. Like brining your bow into regular season for deer. Or even better, bow hunting turkey's today.

I used my bow more then my shotgun a few years ago for Spring turkey. I had one of the best days out I've had in a long time. I called a nice tom in, he hung up about 10 yards out of what I felt my effective range with the bow was. Even typing this my heart is thumping from memory. It felt so much more exciting to be at full draw waiting on that bird to just take a few more steps towards me. He finally strolled off and I let the bow down. It felt like hours passed but was only a few minutes. The toughest part was trying to deal with motion. Once getting eyes on the bird setting the call down and getting the bow up and ready. I can't use mouth calls so it makes a bit more of a challenge.

I take the bow out a few times each Spring now. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I used my bow more then my shotgun a few years ago for Spring turkey. I had one of the best days out I've had in a long time. I called a nice tom in, he hung up about 10 yards out of what I felt my effective range with the bow was. Even typing this my heart is thumping from memory. It felt so much more exciting to be at full draw waiting on that bird to just take a few more steps towards me. He finally strolled off and I let the bow down. It felt like hours passed but was only a few minutes. The toughest part was trying to deal with motion. Once getting eyes on the bird setting the call down and getting the bow up and ready. I can't use mouth calls so it makes a bit more of a challenge.

I take the bow out a few times each Spring now. 

I've always wanted to try it. I think we're all in agreement that there's no harm in challenge oneself, I was just trying to answer grouses question on why one wouldn't use a rifle if they could.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

I've always wanted to try it. I think we're all in agreement that there's no harm in challenge oneself, I was just trying to answer grouses question on why one wouldn't use a rifle if they could.

I wasn't trying to give any crap, just sharing that I have come to enjoy using my bow once in a while now for turkey. I'll probably do a few summersaults if I kill a bird with it. You should give it a go Belo.

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I wasn't trying to give any crap, just sharing that I have come to enjoy using my bow once in a while now for turkey. I'll probably do a few summersaults if I kill a bird with it. You should give it a go Belo.

yeah i know. Shit man, i have a hard enough time getting them to come within 30 haha

• Like 1

Back in the 60s my old man used to blow their backs off with a .222. From what I know now I think that was overkill. A .22 mag would fit the ticket perfectly. No head shots. Right straight up the leg 2 inch's below the back would take the spine out, no big mess, and breast meat you can't eat. Never liked pulling lead shot with the feathers it pulls thru in my Turkey cutlets.