Upstates 2021 Foodplots

Oddly enough, everything worked with no issues today.  Weird.  Old Fergie started right up, took 5 gallons of diesel, 2 quarts of oil, and a gallon of hydraulic/gear fluid then ran hard for 3 hours.  First plot is disced, plot K1 in results below.  This week will be fertilizer and another discing, planting clover and oats in a couple weeks!

IMG_20210410_182047.jpg

IMG_20210410_182039.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-211852.png

Screenshot_20210410-211806.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

Gotta love those wti soil samples. 

If I may ask why oats this time of year? 

Two reasons really

#1) it's a destination feeding plot, I just want them to Chow down spring and summer and fatten up.  Definitely keeps them in the area.  

#2) Frigging turkeys go bananas for it all of May!  

Mainly it's just to feed the deer.

• Like 4

On 4/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, onlybrowning said:

Where do you get your fertilizer? I’ve gone the custom mix route before, but it was very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean's Mills, Freehold.  Sure isn't cheap but at least I don't pay sales tax as I buy it with the farm account.

Had to drive all the way to Cobleskill to get the 15-15-15 required, but got the fertilizer on and disc'd yesterday afternoon.  800 lbs of 15-15-15 and 400 lbs of 0-20-20.  On the way back from the field, my dad was driving the disc harrow through a stream, disc came off the pin (no idea what he did, maybe rock popped it out?) and he didn't stop.  Busted the hydraulics in like 4 places on the disc.  Going to have to take the hydraulic ram to a welder with an easy out to get the threads out, and replace at least 3 lines + the coupling on the tractor.  I don't have the heart to tell him not to use the equipment, but man..........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Had to drive all the way to Cobleskill to get the 15-15-15 required, but got the fertilizer on and disc'd yesterday afternoon.  800 lbs of 15-15-15 and 400 lbs of 0-20-20.  On the way back from the field, my dad was driving the disc harrow through a stream, disc came off the pin (no idea what he did, maybe rock popped it out?) and he didn't stop.  Busted the hydraulics in like 4 places on the disc.  Going to have to take the hydraulic ram to a welder with an easy out to get the threads out, and replace at least 3 lines + the coupling on the tractor.  I don't have the heart to tell him not to use the equipment, but man..........

I've done that on a 5 bottom plow and snapped both lines off my Oliver more than once, things happen... go.easy on the old man. I've since gone to a locking hitch pin havent done it since ( knock on wood) made my own easy out from. A old chisel I ground at angle.to fit inside 3/4 in pipe, did the trick in minutes..  keep it in tractor tool box as  it always happened in middle of field...

Edited by G-Man

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

I've done that on a 5 bottom plow and snapped both lines off my Oliver more than once, things happen... go.easy on the old man. I've since gone to a locking hitch pin havent done it since ( knock on wood) made my own easy out from. A old chisel I ground at angle.to fit inside 3/4 in pipe, did the trick in minutes..  keep it in tractor tool box as  it always happened in middle of field...

Look at how far he plowed the hitch into the ground!  We need a better hitch made anyway, 2 clevises linked is what we were using.

IMG_20210413_185750.jpg

5 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Look at how far he plowed the hitch into the ground!  We need a better hitch made anyway, 2 clevises linked is what we were using.

IMG_20210413_185750.jpg

I didnt.take photos of my incident but heavy equipment will go deep for sure,  just need longer hoses is all give a little slack if it happens again .. like maybe 8 ft extra... ;)

• Like 1

I like the old "drag" style disks that don't have wheels and hydraulic cylinders (so long as they dont need to be transported on the road).   

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

I didnt.take photos of my incident but heavy equipment will go deep for sure,  just need longer hoses is all give a little slack if it happens again .. like maybe 8 ft extra... ;)

Edited by wolc123

Was thinking about putting in some Pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds in an open field on my property just for the Hell of it . Not really going to go picking any , maybe a couple but the field has never had any crops its just an open field . Should I just plant them spread out and wait and see what happens ? And when should I plant them ?

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Was thinking about putting in some Pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds in an open field on my property just for the Hell of it . Not really going to go picking any , maybe a couple but the field has never had any crops its just an open field . Should I just plant them spread out and wait and see what happens ? And when should I plant them ?

Most pumpkins do not compete with weeds well you will need to spray area to kill them off 2 or 3 seed in a spot , each spot 4 to 6 ft apart. They take 120 to 130 days on average to mature  so if you go backwards 4 .5 months from oct 1..  would be mid may planting time so you can spay a few spots to plant a couple times before you plant.

• Like 1

Got her out, back to the cabin.  Had to crack the line to release it, got a nice covering in hydraulic oil.  My dad is supposed to be taking the ram to his buddy with an easy out.  Shouldn't be awful to get these threads out, they're pipe taped and only a year old.  Hopefully he can fabricate something to replace the ghetto double clevis hitches.

IMG_20210417_133633.jpg

IMG_20210417_135451.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Looks like planting this coming Saturday, fertilizer will have had 10 days and some rain, and supposed to get a good rain in Sunday.  Having the oats in a week before turkey season starts would be sweet!  Almost makes me want to get a blind and set it up there.

between bare dirt and oats that will have birds in it for sure 

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, stubborn1VT said:

Oats do fine in cool weather.  They hate hot and dry worse.  Unless they sit in the cold and wet to the point of rot, they shouldn't fail.  How big a plot for 200 lbs?

2 acres.  The 4th bag was something my buddy at Deans Mills threw on, new brand he wanted me to test out.  Was only planning on 3 bags.  I'll see if there's anything in 2 weeks or so.

Spent about 3 hours brush hogging yesterday, widened up a main trail and chopped it down, blasted a trail through 8 foot + brush around the perimeter.  It's almost like a tunnel with how high the brush has gotten in this, what used to be a hay field.  I think the plan is to plant something in the path up the middle, and something in the little 75x120 plot in the middle.  More for my dad and his buddy to play around with, and test the quad planter than anything else.

There's apple trees I'm trying to bring back from the brink near the kill plot in the east, and more on the north side.  

Hopefully the logging gets going soon and I can turn my attention to some bigger kill plots on the side of the hill.

image.thumb.png.e9794f92bd047c960d4390390b13c5f7.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...