Sighting in a Red Dot Scope on shotgun

virgil

I just put a Truglo Gobbler Stopper red dot scope on my Benelli SBE.  Planning to sight it in this weekend.  I was planning to use some cheap 3" shells that i have laying around to get in the ballpark, and then switch to the LongBeard XR and Carlsen choke that I hunt with for final adjustments.  Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for a better way?  I don't want to use up the expensive shells to sight in if i don't have to.

I agree on using the light loads...Also,  don't try to shoot over 20 or 25 yards at first...It is much easier to determine center of pattern with a small pattern at close range...Get it dead on at close range with the light loads and then confirm with a couple of your hunting loads at longer range to make any final adjustments, if necessary...

• Like 4

Just now, Pygmy said:

I agree on using the light loads...Also,  don't try to shoot over 20 or 25 yards at first...It is much easier to determine center of pattern with a small pattern at close range...Get it dead on at close range with the light loads and then confirm with a couple of your hunting loads at longer range to make any final adjustments, if necessary...

Agreed, I even start by closer 10 yrds or less to get that tight hole. Put the red dot on top and then you can adjust in another couple of shots out to 40 or 50 yrds

• Like 3

I sighted the one I put on my Savage 301 20 with slugs last fall because it's also being used as a deer gun as well as turkey. Then checked the pattern at 15 and 30 yards with the shot I'm using for turkey. The pattern was fine last fall and still is.

• Like 2

Shooot it at 10 yards to get your pattern dialed in, leave it a few inches low. Then move out. 

To bore sight, You can set it up on a gun sled or tripod and look down the bore of the barrel towards your target and move your reddot to where the center of your bore is pointed if youd like. Same concept as a bore sighter. Or just shoot and adjust.  I have red dots on most of my turkey guns, especially the ones that kick good. Put one on my 410 this weekend and sighted in. Also on my 20ga and 12 ga guns all have them as well.

Luckily my 28ga OU is dead on with a single bead. 

• Like 1