Good Hiking Boots

Hey all, Ive always used Muck style rubber boots, LAcrosse, UA, Muck brand, you name it.. no complaints really besides maybe excessive warmth on warmer days and the support gives me shin splints the last couple years when covering ground, especially trying to do so quickly.. I'm looking for a good quality hiking boot to use for Turkey and Most decent days during deer season. And maybe even work outdoors etc.. 

Would like to know what you all recommend or use with pros/cons etc.. 

Thanks in advance! 

Vasque St Elias is what I’ve been using for 5-6 years and they are the best (BEST) boots of this type I’ve ever had.   After about 6 months I bought a second pair, now I rotate them and have doubled their life.  Lol

Really well made, comfortable and as a bonus, they make me look thinner.   :)

• Like 1

There is an outlet mall not far from me that has a Merrels store. I picked up a pair of boots from their sales rack for 40% off. I have bought three more pairs of footwear from there since. They make some very nice hiking style shoes as well that are comfortable for everyday use when you dont want something up over your ankle. They dont break the bank and hold up quite well. None of mine are insulated if that matters. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I'm looking for a good quality hiking boot to use for Turkey and Most decent days during deer season. And maybe even work outdoors etc.. 

For me the boot style that fits the above criteria is a good quality "upland" boot, as Nancy Sinatra would say "these boots are made for walking." Bird hunters do not sit in a stand, they are walking and walking constantly, light weight, comfort and durability are their claim to fame.

All the major boot manufacturers have upland boots in their lines, I have experience with Cabelas, Redhead, Rocky and Weinbrenner and have been happy with all.

Al

I have versatile Danners. They're good and comfortable. 

Con: 1st pair leaked after 1 season. Maybe my fault, I didn't continue to apply conditioner to the leather, etc.

Pro: customer service is very responsive - they sent me a new pair.

You can get most Danner boots in the $150-$200. I wonder what the next step up provides (Kenetrek, Schnee's, Crispi... ~$400)

I alternate between Keen Pyrenees and Irish Setter Ravines and can't decide which I like better. I have both for 3 years now, and wear one or the other almost everyday of the year, and neither is showing any sign of giving up soon. There's a brand new pair of each sitting in the closet for when I eventually need a backup. They can both be found for right around $100-$120 if you catch a sale.

Edited by eaglemountainman