The New Box Call

DirtTime

I picked up a Quaker Boy box call recently, it's been a long time and I don't remember box calls being so loud. I guess I got used to the more subtle tones from pot calls.

I was wondering if anyone has ever put a coat of stain on a box call?

It's unfinished so I would like to add something to the exterior as a way to protect the call from splitting or cracking in changing weather conditions.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

You might change the Tone of that Box slightly by applying  Stain.

Thanks for the reply.

Have you done this Bill? I'm just curious as to how you think it would alter the tone enough to present a problem. Which is why I asked if anyone had actually stained the outside of a box call, to get an answer if it would alter the sound or not.

46 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I'd look into a water sealer intead of staining it.Something like shellac try the bottom to see how it comes out.I never did it to a turkey call,but have saltwater lures[wood] that have stood the test of time with shellac.Hopefully a woodworker can help you out on a good sealer.

My waterproof wizard has a clear coat on it.It's also 22 years old and still works and looks like the day i bought it.

• Thanks 1

Rob....I have never stained or otherwise treated any of my box calls, so I can't answer your question regarding whether doing so would affect the sound..

However, it has been largely a non-issue with me, since I never recall having any of my boxes get soaking wet, and I have several that are over 50 years old... I   either keep them in a water resistant pocket or in a plastic bag....If they get damp I dry them gently at room temp...Never had an issue with warping or cracking..

• Like 2

Many years ago, I had Quaker Boy box call. It was originally a bit high pitched for my taste. So I applied just a bit of Thompsons clear, water seal with a rag, using just my index finger. Only a light coat on the top, sides and bottom. Nothing inside! After applying the sealer, it mellowed it out very nicely, and became one of my favorite calls. I still have it somewhere? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know Quaker Boy always finished their calls, may it be a flat polyurethane or something like that does not make it looks finished maybe? Whatever you do stay away from the striking portion of the lid and the rails, that will jack it up in a hurry.

15 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Arn't they made out of cedar ? Isn't that one of the most weather resistant woods beside teak ? 

The call I bought is made of poplar, with a maple top. Poplar is very soft and doesn't do well in not so great weather. It expands and shrinks a lot if it's not stabilized in some way.

I think I'll try some very light colored stain on the very top, sides, and bottom. I wasn't planning on doing the inside or the bottom of the lid. I thought about just using clear wood hardener, but I would say the odds of that altering the sound would be pretty high because that stuff actually changes the wood to a certain degree.