Discovery channel new series

outdoorstom

Interesting and I'll check it out.

I'm hopeful that this new series will emphasize the importance of "first shot placement" and all the other parts and pieces that go into a hunt before and after the shot.   Having access to tracking dogs isn't always possible as many of us know.  The remoteness of our hunting area or the demand of the trackers during the arrow flinging season can end up in disappointment for the hunter when a dog isn't available.  

A wounded animal and possibly lost is a very sensitive and personal part of hunting and I don't know if this can be portrayed via HD cameras and editing rooms......... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm hopeful that this new series will emphasize the importance of "first shot placement" and all the other parts and pieces that go into a hunt before and after the shot.   Having access to tracking dogs isn't always possible as many of us know.  The remoteness of our hunting area or the demand of the trackers during the arrow flinging season can end up in disappointment for the hunter when a dog isn't available.  

A wounded animal and possibly lost is a very sensitive and personal part of hunting and I don't know if this can be portrayed via HD cameras and editing rooms......... 

I agree. It's going to be interesting how they portray the hunters when they made a poor shot. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I believe the importance of ethical shots will be stressed. I know these two trackers and they discuss that with hunters, as do I.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, outdoorstom said:

I believe the importance of ethical shots will be stressed. I know these two trackers and they discuss that with hunters, as do I.

Since you know these trackers, do you know what areas this will be filmed in? 

I hope the show emphasizes the percentage of wounded deer that need to be tracked a long way, or are not found, is low in comparison to the total number of deer taken.  Otherwise the public is going to think the majority of deer taken by hunters die like this.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, outdoorstom said:

As blood trackers, our primary reason for being there is to help recover the deer, if possible. But.....we always try to educate on the benefit of taking a high percentage shot. Not talk down to anyone, but try to educate where it may be appropriate.

As hunters, we all know that at some point in our hunting careers, something can and probably will go wrong. It is absolutely, without a doubt, the worst feeling a deer hunter can experience! When for whatever reason, a wounded deer can not be found. That is where a trained dog and handler, can be the difference between a lost deer, or a recovered one. The average percentage for recovery, for even an experienced team is usually only about 35%. Because many times the deer is simply not dead. Perhaps it will recover to be seen again? Perhaps not? There are so many factors to a bloodline, and no two are exactly the same.

But being part of the dog human team, working together to put the pieces of the recovery puzzle together. To find another hunters deer, is as rewarding, if not more so than shooting one yourself.

It takes a dedicated individual to become certified, train and certify a dog, or dogs. And to "volunteer" your time and resources, to help other hunters! There is never enough to fill the void for tracking calls. Perhaps a show like this will inspire some new tracker teams? I hope so.

Great thread Tom!!

• Like 2