Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

i got no decoy

Certainly don't have to have one to get a turkey. So wind might only effect ability to hear one gobble or one sneaking in the leaves. A little wind usually also helps cover the hunters movement but I am guessing your prob using a blind. 

So I wouldn't think it would effect much. I haven't killed a ton of turkeys but wind moving my decoy has helped me before when they started to hang up and it moved in the wind a little that sealed it. 

17 hours ago, mowin said:

Finally sighted in my Burris FFIII today. I like it. Used field loads at 10 yards to get it close, then backed up 20yrds to dial it in. Took two shots with my hunting loads to confirm.  Good to go out to 40. 

Wanted to scout tonight, but its raining hard. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, although it's supposed to be very windy. 

It sounds like you're all set ,i just wanted to mention since you brought up sighting in some new optics . I bought one of those shells with the laser in it and matched my red dot to the laser dot at about 15 yards , first shot at the range yesterday was smidge low at 40 . Highly recommended for the 15 bucks it cost. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Certainly don't have to have one to get a turkey. So wind might only effect ability to hear one gobble or one sneaking in the leaves. A little wind usually also helps cover the hunters movement but I am guessing your prob using a blind. 

So I wouldn't think it would effect much. I haven't killed a ton of turkeys but wind moving my decoy has helped me before when they started to hang up and it moved in the wind a little that sealed it. 

no blind. just sitting against a tree and/or rocks.

Was just out listening for any goblin or fly ups into my pines but holy wind Batman.  My blinds haven’t blown away yet

gonna be cold and they are calling for snow overnight brrr.  Cards showed a hen wandering a few days ago.  

good luck to all that make it out and be safe. 

4B1A5E61-19B3-4C4D-BE05-D889365406D9.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I saw a large conifer fall as I was driving up to the Catskills. 

Just let the fur bags out for a last pinch. 

Wind was stupid.  Hopefully it subsidies like the weatherman says by 6 AM tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Up until yesterday, I intended on carrying the bow, but then it dawned on me that my fathers 11-87 hasn't seen any action now for 15 years. Time to bring it out! That man loved turkey hunting even more than deer hunting...

Far from an ideal morning, but a hell of a lot better than yesterday anyways!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Way colder & windier than expected . Decided to get into blind out of the wind and drop call. It broke. Not i got nothing lol

2ffc0fc53e2c5e4d11ec609fee67b1d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That wire should just need to be slid back in there.  I had that happen with that exact call.  Unless more is broke of course .... 

• Like 1