Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

Got set up at 4:55. Made a couple soft tree yelps at 5:16, and a tom answered about 60 yrds behind me. Couple hear others gobbling below him, and some I couldn't tell where they were they were roosted because of the wind. Apparently two were roosted on the other side of the field as they came running in. They ended up behind a huge oak that was only 5 feet in front of me. They stayed behind that tree for 5 minutes gobbling, spitting and drumming only 12 yrds from me, but I couldn't see them. Finally one took a couple steps to the left. After the shot the 2nd tom pounced on him and thrashed him for about 30 seconds.  I managed to finally get my phone out and got a video of him as he was waking away, gobbling like crazy.  

Typical 2yr old. 21lbs, 3/4" spurs, 10.5" beard. 

Pic is where he flopped, and got a thrashing from his buddy. 

20210501_055901.jpg

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Father in law got one! Now I got my first strutting turkey to mount. Heard a few gobbles but haven't seen a bird yet. This wind blows!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Congrats to you FIL. If my bird had some nice hooks, I was thinking of having you mount him.  Maybe tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Not a big turkey hunter but when time allows I try to get out. Well this year with the opener on a Sat my young sons were pumped to go out....all week they couldn't stop talking about waking up at 4am. Well last night the youngest was sneezing and couching so that put him on the shelf but he gave his blessing for his brother and myself to give it a try.
We set a blind and camera a few weeks earlier so we knew they was a chance of birds.....just didn't know if it was the day they would be nearby. Well around 5:45 my buddy who was 100 yards away started calling and boom the woods lights up with gobbles and one is 20 yards from us....I tapped my son and he was ready. Well my buddy would call..and they would hammer, then a crow would call and gobbles were coming from what seemed like everywhere. We were ready and just waiting for a fly down and hope they were headed our way. After about ten minutes of silence I did a real light cluck and boom there was a bird on the ground and close. Well I looked in that direction and I see something running full bore at my decoy.....once it cleared a tree I realized it was a hen and she was ticked at that decoy. Well she pecked and posture the decoy for a bit and a crew of birds she had in tow weren't far behind. Once they were around 20 yards I away I could see they were all Jake's but I wasn't letting one leave especially with my son in the blind. What seemed like forever probably was only minutes before this one got far enough away from the others and I let him have it with a 3" 20ga. Size 6 XR.
I few birds scattered.....one of his buddies hung around for a while pecking at him and another Jake strolled by 10 minutes later. They did make their way towards my buddy but got hung up near some blow downs and did a u turn to get outta there. What an aweosme morning with my son in the blind and great day with the crew I was out with. 00ab1afff45602184be20bc37d4793f8.jpg5c131421d61718ba4b82b00ef7ba9b01.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 35

Really needed some woods time . Went to local spot last week to listen. One bird gobbling.  Went back today and hit the owl tube at 5, 5:10 and finally he hit me at 5:20. I climbed almost into his living room. Now he’s gobbling on his own. Maybe 100 yards off. Soon a hen 30-35 yards off starts tree talk then another cutting hard. He’s double and triple gobbling. So I joined the fun and cut hard. This Tom was coming fast. I knew he’d crest a small ridge and boom there he is full display at 60. Hens still tree talking but he’s headed to the one on the ground. Me ! I did not want to get into a pissing match with these gals. I then went soft purrs and scratching only. He’s still coming. More tree talk by others. He comes in to about 40 yards tilting his fan . I’m only scratching leaves now. He comes another 5 yards . Burris fastfire 3 on. Tactacam ready to go on barrel.  Started to get into some thick stuff so aborted tactacam. Red dot on his head. Squeezed off a 3.5 tss 7 and bang no flop. Finally the hens pitch out. Quick hunt but awesome . 20.5 lbs -1” Spurs - 8.75” beard 

2E210689-9133-4222-A1DA-9728F9B34E17.jpeg

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 35

It doesn’t look like your call is broken. All you need to do is turn the striker upside down and put the wire back in it’s original position ( upper corner). Then put the striker right side up.

I did. It wouldn’t work. Maybe stretched out? I let TCIII and Chef fiddled with it Saturday night. They must have broke it. $11 call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

28 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I did. It wouldn’t work. Maybe stretched out? I let TCIII and Chef fiddled with it Saturday night. They must have broke it. $11 call.

They're tom blocking u.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Congrats to those that took a bird.  We had one gobbling at first light and then he shut up so we swung to the corner of a meadow they always pop out.  Right before we rounded the corner I spotted a hen about 150 yards away so we set up and called.  About 30 mins later after getting covered in snow and 15mph wind we saw the flock at about 150yards with 3 stutters.  The hens took them away.  So we jumped around and went back after the Tom's around 10.  We found 5 hens all split up but no Tom's wanted to play.  We will be back at them in the morning.

We had two hammering on the roost. Then they did what they always do, flew down just out of sight and strutted and gobbled until the hens joined them and off they went in silence. Setup for a couple hours and snoozed. On my way home I pulled a Hail Mary at a local spot. I came in from the East and thought I could see him on the gas line. So I crawled out to a tree and setup. Started calling and bam he appears in the field, strutting. Then a hen joined him and I thought it was game over but as he came closer, she'd stay close by eating. This went on for 30 minutes or so. He gobbled twice. He finally broke and came into the tall grass and walked right at me and I crushed him at 40 ish. He went down like I dropped an anvil on him. He came about 325 yards. He's not my best as far as Spurs but he's the biggest by far, just shy of 25lbs 47a0ff87c3fe2707b899dcb218e2937d.jpg0a8527a0ac1183ae542a9a70af11d30f.png22b4ca6d5aa7804612eea4b17d553d53.jpge56efbb06772620b96588bd7e435a37d.jpg6838ffc3689b7351c913d1a49cd8085c.jpgI attempted an in the field timer pic and failed LOL

• Like 37

I never touched it. However we did select a nice combo from Pygmy's generous offering and you chose to leave it at home...

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I never touched it. However we did select a nice combo from Pygmy's generous offering and you chose to leave it at home...

The man named Pygmy has killed more turkeys than Butterball.  There's no way I'm not using a call from him. If you didn't break his other one you prob should have anyway. 

• Like 1

The man named Pygmy has killed more turkeys than Butterball.  There's no way I'm not using a call from him. If you didn't break his other one you prob should have anyway. 

I was there...Tacks pulled off a brilliant slight of hand that would make Houdini proud...at least two of Pygmy’s calls are not where Biz thinks they are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I was there...Tacks pulled off a brilliant slight of hand that would make Houdini proud...at least two of Pygmy’s calls are not where Biz thinks they are!

I have two new slate calls and he's got two new clay pigeons!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I have two new slate calls and he's got two new clay pigeons!

But who ended up with Tacks’ sunglasses?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We had two hammering on the roost. Then they did what they always do, flew down just out of sight and strutted and gobbled until the hens joined them and off they went in silence. Setup for a couple hours and snoozed. On my way home I pulled a Hail Mary at a local spot. I came in from the East and thought I could see him on the gas line. So I crawled out to a tree and setup. Started calling and bam he appears in the field, strutting. Then a hen joined him and I thought it was game over but as he came closer, she'd stay close by eating. This went on for 30 minutes or so. He gobbled twice. He finally broke and came into the tall grass and walked right at me and I crushed him at 40 ish. He went down like I dropped an anvil on him. He came about 325 yards. He's not my best as far as Spurs but he's the biggest by far, just shy of 25lbs 47a0ff87c3fe2707b899dcb218e2937d.jpg0a8527a0ac1183ae542a9a70af11d30f.png22b4ca6d5aa7804612eea4b17d553d53.jpge56efbb06772620b96588bd7e435a37d.jpg6838ffc3689b7351c913d1a49cd8085c.jpgI attempted an in the field timer pic and failed LOL

What a spammer.  Congrats on a fantastic bird. 

• Like 1

So much nicer out this morning.  However campfire and bourbon until almost midnight isn't making this a fun morning....yet. 

If my cousin doesn't show, I just might go to his house and start shooting.  If I'm awake he should be also..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2