Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

10 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

How does that usually work with turkeys(miss)?

They have no idea they were shot at. They think thunder or such. Providing you don’t jump up and he sees you you’re good. May need to use different call or cadence on him next time. I whiffed once , changed slate calls  and killed him 3 days later leaning up against same tree 

• Like 2

Got him! Sat on the edge of a field with a Jake and hen deke until about 830. Didn't see or hear squat. Decided to go for a walk. Walked along the top of the ridge along the creek while trying to get one to gobble with a few clucks here and there. Saw some movement at the bottom towards the creek. Turned out to be 2 gobblers and a hen. Hen is moving at a steady pace to my left while the toms are holding back a little and strutting. I crawl back away from the ridge out of their sight and get a head of them a few yards. I'm laying prone on the ridge and they slowly walk in to range going in and out of strut. I think the other bird was bigger but this one was about 12 yards closer and had a beard so he ate the pellets. Guessing a 2 year old, 9 inch beard, 7/8 spurs. Boring hunt turned into a fun hunt real fast!5b0564245320e99adebb79dfe3889af5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 31

Hunted 4P and 4R mostly on DEP land Saturday, Sunday and Monday. 

I got two gobblers going but real hens showed up and stole them away.

I think numbers are down based on field sightings and what I heard in the woods. Only heard one shot.

Some might remember last year two of my nephews scored while I was stuck sick in Florida. One scored again this year on DEP land.

9066E75D-D565-4F99-A653-730CDD118907.jpeg

Edited by mike103
  • Like 16

They have no idea they were shot at. They think thunder or such. Providing you don’t jump up and he sees you you’re good. May need to use different call or cadence on him next time. I whiffed once , changed slate calls  and killed him 3 days later leaning up against same tree 
Glad TF responded....shows how much I know.
I was under the impression they would clear the area for a while.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

My one and only spot I hunt is tough lol,I could pattern and kill them easily if I could hunt the field (a few hedges in it )but I can’t ,I call the from inside the wood line and need them to come in to shoot .This property has 3 different guys who set up the way the property boundary’s are so it’s no easy task .Tom’s at this location have not gobbleed for 3-4 days now .

On 5/5/2021 at 11:13 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just reported my bird online and had to update my password. Its now FOURTEEN CHARACTERS WITH CAPS AND PUNCTUATION!!!! Who is trying to hack into this thing?? Hunter Bidens laptop has less security

Was The_Real_TCIII!!! taken already?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

No Calls even? I use a Decoy sometimes. 

Turkey Hunters have been known to dig Fox Holes in " Private" Fields where Gobblers Cross and wait on them.

Hardly Turkey hunt, I had a easy yelper with me and there’s some round disc thing that ones supposed to scratch with this stick thing . I don’t know a purr from  a cluck from a Yelp ,if used a call, it may bring in a coyote looking for the Turkey in distress.....

• Like 2

All in all it was a nice morning in the woods. I dressed warmer and was drenched in sweat on the way out but comfortable sitting. Classic late October deer hunt lol. The birds on this property do what they always do, but I can no longer hunt where I once did, so I have to rethink the approach or continue to scout and hunt the other property.

So far in 2 sits I'm 2 for 2 for shots at hens with no horny birds in tow. Doesn't look like I'll be out this weekend... not sure about next week either. I'm usually good for 5 sits, so we shall see if I get motivated or not.

Will say that at least I'm hearing more gobbling this year. Last year was a very quiet and unusual year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Got him! Sat on the edge of a field with a Jake and hen deke until about 830. Didn't see or hear squat. Decided to go for a walk. Walked along the top of the ridge along the creek while trying to get one to gobble with a few clucks here and there. Saw some movement at the bottom towards the creek. Turned out to be 2 gobblers and a hen. Hen is moving at a steady pace to my left while the toms are holding back a little and strutting. I crawl back away from the ridge out of their sight and get a head of them a few yards. I'm laying prone on the ridge and they slowly walk in to range going in and out of strut. I think the other bird was bigger but this one was about 12 yards closer and had a beard so he ate the pellets. Guessing a 2 year old, 9 inch beard, 7/8 spurs. Boring hunt turned into a fun hunt real fast!

Congratulations!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm usually good for 5 sits, so we shall see if I get motivated or not.

I suffer from that same malady. After 5 days of getting up at 4:30 and getting home at 7:00 pm or later, that alarm pisses me off on an early weekend morning. Was easier when I was younger. This weekend, I'm going to try the 8:00 to noon shift both days if the alarm pisses me off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I suffer from that same malady. After 5 days of getting up at 4:30 and getting home at 7:00 pm or later, that alarm pisses me off on an early weekend morning. Was easier when I was younger. This weekend, I'm going to try the 8:00 to noon shift both days if the alarm pisses me off.

i think it's easier if the weather is nicer and it's easier in the fall when the reward is a 150+ buck haha.

I agree though, there's nothing wrong with a 9-11 sit. I've had a lot of good action going in later.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Guy that lives behind my spot , goes out after his normal breakfast 9 or later he’s pretty successful  . I do that 50% of the time , and sometimes it’s years between Turkey hunts lol .

I let a young man from down the road Turkey hunt my woods , he hunts just week ends , but who knows how much he calls and moves around in there ,I’ll have to see if he hunts this week end .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

just think soon the alarm will only be going off for hunting reasons!  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

just think soon the alarm will only be going off for hunting reasons!  

5 more months! Just gave a firm (mostly) date - Oct 15th -ish.

And I still plan on buying you lunch before then!

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Let me know when - Thursdays are usually a no-go as I have a weekly 1:00 meeting. There's a couple of halfway decent places on main street.

i will for sure. I am coming done for some safety reviews so dunno if i will have another staff with me- but will let you know - woudl love to meet you!!!  is 13 thru town still a mess?  lol 

5 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

My one and only spot I hunt is tough lol,I could pattern and kill them easily if I could hunt the field (a few hedges in it )but I can’t ,I call the from inside the wood line and need them to come in to shoot .This property has 3 different guys who set up the way the property boundary’s are so it’s no easy task .Tom’s at this location have not gobbleed for 3-4 days now .

Been quiet here too

6 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Got him! Sat on the edge of a field with a Jake and hen deke until about 830. Didn't see or hear squat. Decided to go for a walk. Walked along the top of the ridge along the creek while trying to get one to gobble with a few clucks here and there. Saw some movement at the bottom towards the creek. Turned out to be 2 gobblers and a hen. Hen is moving at a steady pace to my left while the toms are holding back a little and strutting. I crawl back away from the ridge out of their sight and get a head of them a few yards. I'm laying prone on the ridge and they slowly walk in to range going in and out of strut. I think the other bird was bigger but this one was about 12 yards closer and had a beard so he ate the pellets. Guessing a 2 year old, 9 inch beard, 7/8 spurs. Boring hunt turned into a fun hunt real fast!5b0564245320e99adebb79dfe3889af5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Congrats buddy.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Up on a Mountain  in New Jersey Hiding behind a Boulder. No Gobbling yet at 5.53am.

Screenshot_20210507-055132_Gallery.jpg

That’s an interesting setup.  It’s going to be pretty difficult to keep an eye on the approaching gobbler, if one responds.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1