Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

2 hours ago, Otto said:

I'm in, but wondering why! Nothing heard so far. At least i am dry. Just 4 deer walking by.
Good luck!
b9536c2699fb44f8b1fedf5a77879840.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was all ready to go at 4 this morn. It was and still is pouring.  So I bailed so to speak.  Good luck!  

• Like 2

I was all ready to go at 4 this morn. It was and still is pouring.  So I bailed so to speak.  Good luck!  
I'm ready to pack it in. Have not heard anything but rain, but i saw 8 deer, 3 male turkeys, (too far) and one yote. The yote had a patch of fur missing on his back. Came pretty close to me and i had my gun ready.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Helluva morning, even though it started at 9.  Did everything but choot.  Got picked off at 50 by a huge gobbler even though there were 3 jakes beating the crap out of my deek.  Gonna have to hide better for that old boy.  He was totally gonna take all 3 of them.

• Like 1

Is that a gobbler walking away......maybe a decoy would have helped?? That hen may have hurt your chances. She pulled him away from ya by acting all crazy.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Just a stump but I think you’re right about the hen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I finally got  my buddy to see the whole show last Sunday. Tom's were sounding off on roost. Seven hens flew down into the dekes. Hens feeding a couple of yards from us in the blind. Told him not to even blink an eye. Hens looking into the blind at us but my bud is a good listener. He never twitched a muscle. A 5" bearded hen is looking at him square into his eyes. A few minutes later he whispers to me that he can see a white head slowly making its way to us, the dekes and live hens that are all around us. Now the Tom is listening to soft purrs from my slate. The old long beard is getting closer. He slowly struts and saunters to the only jake deke and challenges him. This goes on for 10 minutes but feels like hours. I tell my pal to ever so slowly raise his Remington shotgun loaded with 3" copper plated 4 shot. Then I tell him to wait until I give the Tom a little cluck so he breaks out of his strut and raises his head. BANG! The big old Tom didn't even twitch a feather.

I never saw a guy that excited after the shot before. What a great morning! 9" beard, 1 3/8 spurs & 25 lbs.

May 2, 2021, Sidney, NY, 9 beard, 1 3-8 spurs,  25 lbs.jpeg

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 24

My other buddy called yesterday and said he was bailing on me because it was going to rain. Well, I've had my most memorable turkey hunts in the rain. Turkeys love feeding in green fields during a light rain. I was going to guide myself this morning.

8 3/4" beard, 1 1/8 spurs about 20 lbs

May 8, 2021Sidney, NY, 8 3-4 beard, 1 1-8 spurs.jpg

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So what’s the Cynthia story??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We were sitting in the woods . Nothing going on . Then we hear 2 gobblers I a field  so we make a.move on them  as we move up one bird flew away . The other was out  about mid field . Bill hit the call and he did an about face and started coming right back to us  so fast I didn't have time to get in position I had a tree laying sideways in front of me with an arch in it not very big  didnt have time to get to it so I had to try to shoot threw it well long story short I missed .  So we went up to the top of the hill were he flew  and  we sat and I looked over and  saw the morels  . And was like wow .  First time I ever  found them didn't even know they grew here .  Then heard another bird tried to put the move on thT one but it started to rain .  

• Like 9

On 5/7/2021 at 12:01 PM, blackbeltbill said:

I just Peak my Ugly Mug up a Bit over that Boulder and the Face Mask covers 6+ Decades of Age.

LOL those public land birds sure tolerate much more than private land birds!!

Do they stick around and give you time to level the gun too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've taken a couple of big Toms from behind a boulder on my own land.  I expected them to come in front of me and the boulder was to break up my outline.  When they got behind me, I slowly peeked over the top of the rock and eased the barrel of the gun over it.  They looked right at me but stayed put.  They seem to be looking and asking themselves, "What the heck is that thing on that rock?", just before they get shot in the face.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure on a hott one this morning. Problem is he’s on the the other side of the crick on the neighbor’s. I’ve been much more aggressive with him than I usually am with a rooster bird but I’m hoping after his extended roost he’ll pitch down on my side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

Plenty of wildlife here in Ontario County :) I had a tom this  morning gobbling , but would not commit because he had his girl right there with him. Yesterday was same deal , a tom would not leave the hen.  Good day to be in the woods:) 

0ABB48A6-DAB7-4A0D-90E3-C301E1BAD49A.jpeg

32C83EDE-4122-4329-AEA6-CB16505C29C1.jpeg

piss that hen off. call at her. She yelps 3x you yelp 4. cut at her, cut off her calling. she'll come in looking for a fight and drag ole tom with her

• Like 7

My late "update", nuffin. 

Six days, didn't hear a gobble. (add that to the 12-14? days last year) I haven't heard a bird gobble since May 1, 2019.  I did see a few hens three days in a row, but no company.

Of course I saw birds all over the county, just not where I hunt.