Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

Killed a gobbler around 7:30 Saturday morning.  Set up on a pasture next to a big hay field, but the bird gobbled way over on the neighbors.  I made a move to get closer, but he was still 200 yards out in a field.  I got him to answer me and then worked away from him on a snow machine trail.  He continued to answer and seemed interested.  I worked back toward him, soft calling and scratching in the leaves until I was right up to the stonewall that is the property line.  After a few minutes of the silent treatment he gobbled much closer.  I couldn't see him because there was a brushy streambed between us and some spruces and the stonewall.  I got out the slate and gave him some purrs and clucks and soft yelps.  He gobbled some more.  I peeked over the stonewall and he was in half strut about 80 yards away.  I watched him work around me along the brook, looking for a place to cross.  Then he was behind a bunch of brush.  I crawled along the stonewall to get a little closer, then got my gun up and ready.  He came in silent the rest of the way, but came crashing through the stonewall, breaking sticks.  I got a kick out of that.  He popped out at 15 yards and I shot over him, but stoned him with the follow up after he ran a few yards.  I was pretty pleased.  Bird numbers seem to be down around that area, but I filled a tag and had a cool hunt.  I didn't weigh him.  I believe he weighed 18-19 pounds.  Beard was thin, but nearly 10" long.  He had a short spur and a 7/8" spur.  I hunted a few more hours at 2 other properties and never heard or saw a bird.  Lousy picture, but I'm lucky if I remember at all cuz I'm so excited.

KIMG0143.jpeg

• Like 21

20 minutes ago, mowin said:

Was mowing a clients lawn the other day, and what do I see laying in a freshly seeded area? A turkeys beard. Somewhere there's a nice tom without a beard, lol.

20210503_105204.jpg

How the heck did he loose his beard?

Regardless, he’s got a free pass for this year (and maybe forever??) as a spring gobbler MUST have a visible beard.  Lol....I hope the rest of ‘em don’t figure it out.   :)

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

How the heck did he loose his beard?

Regardless, he’s got a free pass for this year (and maybe forever??) as a spring gobbler MUST have a visible beard.  Lol....I hope the rest of ‘em don’t figure it out.   :)

Could be it was loose from the winter ice and snow, and as Bill said, he or maybe a hen stepped on it and it pulled off. I top soiled and seeded that area 5 days before it took this pic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mowin said:

Could be it was loose from the winter ice and snow, and as Bill said, he or maybe a hen stepped on it and it pulled off. I top soiled and seeded that area 5 days before it took this pic. 

Doesn't look like the same thing as this picture, does it?  This came from at least a 4 year old Tom, with 1 7/8" Spurs.

20140525_062422.jpg

16 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Doesn't look like the same thing as this picture, does it?  This came from at least a 4 year old Tom, with 1 7/8" Spurs.

20140525_062422.jpg

Looks like your bird lost some of his beard during the winter, which is common.  This guy lost it shortly after may 1st. Maybe he looked at a calendar and purposely had a hen step on his beard. Lol

• Like 1

Looks like your bird lost some of his beard during the winter, which is common.  This guy lost it shortly after may 1st. Maybe he looked at a calendar and purposely had a hen step on his beard. Lol

He will probably wait until Movember to grow it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 1:42 AM, blackbeltbill said:

OL Larry-- we have been " Nipping at each others Tailfeathers" since,I  joined here back in 2014.

OK- I will take your Bait again- LOL.

But if you are trying to tell me that Private Land Toms are much more Wary then Public Land Toms-- then, I  have a Bridge to Sell you in Brooklyn- LOL!

i think that was the point... a private land bird will always freak at any sign of movement, so the thought of a public land bird not doing the same seems almost impossible given the added pressure. 

I don't question your hunting ability bill, but it struck me as odd as well. I was brushed in well behind a blind and was busted once with my gun already raised and all I did was lower my head to look through the site lol.

17 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Killed a gobbler around 7:30 Saturday morning.  Set up on a pasture next to a big hay field, but the bird gobbled way over on the neighbors.  I made a move to get closer, but he was still 200 yards out in a field.  I got him to answer me and then worked away from him on a snow machine trail.  He continued to answer and seemed interested.  I worked back toward him, soft calling and scratching in the leaves until I was right up to the stonewall that is the property line.  After a few minutes of the silent treatment he gobbled much closer.  I couldn't see him because there was a brushy streambed between us and some spruces and the stonewall.  I got out the slate and gave him some purrs and clucks and soft yelps.  He gobbled some more.  I peeked over the stonewall and he was in half strut about 80 yards away.  I watched him work around me along the brook, looking for a place to cross.  Then he was behind a bunch of brush.  I crawled along the stonewall to get a little closer, then got my gun up and ready.  He came in silent the rest of the way, but came crashing through the stonewall, breaking sticks.  I got a kick out of that.  He popped out at 15 yards and I shot over him, but stoned him with the follow up after he ran a few yards.  I was pretty pleased.  Bird numbers seem to be down around that area, but I filled a tag and had a cool hunt.  I didn't weigh him.  I believe he weighed 18-19 pounds.  Beard was thin, but nearly 10" long.  He had a short spur and a 7/8" spur.  I hunted a few more hours at 2 other properties and never heard or saw a bird.  Lousy picture, but I'm lucky if I remember at all cuz I'm so excited.

KIMG0143.jpeg

looks like a hell of a jelly head on that 2nd shot though, congrats!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

i think that was the point... a private land bird will always freak at any sign of movement, so the thought of a public land bird not doing the same seems almost impossible given the added pressure. 

I don't question your hunting ability bill, but it struck me as odd as well. I was brushed in well behind a blind and was busted once with my gun already raised and all I did was lower my head to look through the site lol.

Turkeys have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to movement lol. A deer will stand there and stomp, bob its head and try to figure out what you are while a turkey just heads for the next zip code

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Turkeys have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to movement lol. A deer will stand there and stomp, bob its head and try to figure out what you are while a turkey just heads for the next zip code

which is why more than a few of us were surprised to hear that someone would just raise their head over a rock, then still have time to raise their gun and shoot lol

• Like 1

Finally got out yesterday morning. Heard gobbling on roost which is always exciting. Mid morning had 4 long beards following a hen around the big field. Never came closer than 100 yds and could careless about my calling. It was great to be out.....Although that 3 am alarm clock ringing sucks....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Yet when seasons closed and your hunting deer ,they will circle you ,walk within feet like you’re not even there .

Shot my biggest buck of my life 2 minutes after 8 turkeys spent 20 minutes within 10 yards of me doing circles around my tree stand. 

• Like 1

I don’t necessarily agree. I’ve stood up and shot birds that came in from behind me. I’ve also had turkeys get spooked at me blinking my eyes.

I’ve had way better luck with slow steady movement that fast movement when I had to move to kill a bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t necessarily agree. I’ve stood up and shot birds that came in from behind me. I’ve also had turkeys get spooked at me blinking my eyes.

I’ve had way better luck with slow steady movement that fast movement when I had to move to kill a bird.

If a turkey sees a head bobbing up and around a rock, he’s history.   Don’t tell me they’ll tolerate it.   

Oh sure, you can slowly pick your gun up and kill a bird but you only have one shot at it before the gig is up.   

To be “hiding” behind a VW sized Boulder and peaking out, while watching for an approaching LB is an amateur move.  

I think Bill was just looking for a photo opportunity and wasn’t really doing what he said.....

If a turkey sees a head bobbing up and around a rock, he’s history.   Don’t tell me they’ll tolerate it.   

Oh sure, you can slowly pick your gun up and kill a bird but you only have one shot at it before the gig is up.   

To be “hiding” behind a VW sized Boulder and peaking out, while watching for an approaching LB is an amateur move.  

I think Bill was just looking for a photo opportunity and wasn’t really doing what he said.....

I don’t agree, the first bird I got this year I rolled over to a knee and killed him because he came in on my left side and I shoot lefty. He watched me do it from inside of 20yds all he did was pick his head up, putted and got killed, I guess you’re kind of correct because he is now history.

I have no idea what bill’s intentions with the photo were and do not care. But I can say from my experience and the 50+ turkeys I’ve killed movement isn’t always a deal breaker. I will never let a turkey walk because they’re behind or on my strong side I’ll always make a move because I’ve killed lots of birds doing it.

• Like 2