Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

7 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

I think it depends on the bird at that time .I’ve followed them into a wood line to only be 15 yards from it watching me and killed them with a bow ,Then other times they get spooked at 40 yards for some unknown reason .

I do know that over the years, I have done EVERYTHING WRONG, at times and still killed a bird. Lucky I guess?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

If a turkey sees a head bobbing up and around a rock, he’s history.   Don’t tell me they’ll tolerate it.   

Oh sure, you can slowly pick your gun up and kill a bird but you only have one shot at it before the gig is up.   

To be “hiding” behind a VW sized Boulder and peaking out, while watching for an approaching LB is an amateur move.  

I think Bill was just looking for a photo opportunity and wasn’t really doing what he said.....

how do a gazillion turkey get killed every spring with a bow (no blind)- just drawing and shooting?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My greatest feat ever on Turkeys was calling one in with a beer bottle and a set of car keys.  Of course i was on a mower and not hunting but impressive still! As far as calling them in with a shotgun in hand......on occasion. 

31 minutes ago, grampy said:

I do know that over the years, I have done EVERYTHING WRONG, at times and still killed a bird. Lucky I guess?

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Thanks Buckmaster- Belo put out the Bait Twice for me. Too tired to play that game today. 

Jesus man why is everything a fight with you? I've never met someone like you who views any slight disagreement or even a question as a challenge to fight. 

This is a forum. People make points and agree and disagree. Buckmaster is showing exactly how that's possible without getting his panties in a bunch.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

But I can say from my experience and the 50+ turkeys I’ve killed movement isn’t always a deal breaker. 

didn't say it was a deal breaker either, but certainly if movement happens it's not by design right? One doesn't go out turkey hunting and setup with a plan to have to move prior to the shot. Sometimes it happens just like you said, and sometimes it works, but it should be avoided if possible no? The whole crux of the argument was that the setup required him to move, not that it might happen and was his plan b. Does that make more sense?

1 hour ago, grampy said:

if we can leave turkey hunting for a second this is 100% the case for all hunting and fishing isn't it? We've all completely screwed up and been successful, we've all done it textbook and failed. That's what makes it great.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

how do a gazillion turkey get killed every spring with a bow (no blind)- just drawing and shooting?

Not sure we could prove each other wrong, but I don't think a gazillion turkeys are killed by bow, let alone a bow outside a blind...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mowin said:

I've killed several birds that came in on my right, by quickly switching to shoot left handed.  No different then slowly peeking over a boulder. 

You and everybody else are missing the point. 

Making a move on a bird close to you within shooting range is totally different than calling blind from behind a boulder and peeking your head over the top (or sides) as your trying to call a gobbler in.  If you can pull that off, you are the Master. 

If you know a bird is right there and you slide out and pop him, well that's no big deal, a Brownie Scout could do that.

Now if a guy was just resting his gun and call on the boulder and blind calling, hoping for a distant gobble, well that's a different deal but to try and hide behind a rock and peek out once in a while thinking you'll get the drop on an approaching Tom is ludicrous.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

First off watching YouTube or TV hunters hunting from blinds or from behind a tree out west is a far cry from hunters trying for an eastern gobbler the same way.

You're the last guy here to be questioning anything spring gobbler related........ :)

• Like 1

Maybe you should just go hunting Lawd.  I don't see what your goal is here.  I get what you're saying about peeking UP over a boulder, but you certainly can peek around a piece of cover.  How is this any worse than sitting against the front of a tree?  I'm sure you have shot more toms than I, but I guess I don't see your point (other than tweaking Bill). 

I have gotten away with all sorts of movement over the years.  What I've learned is that you need to take your time.  I find that if I move slowly I get picked off less and I shoot better.  

Hope your back gets better so you can get out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First off watching YouTube or TV hunters hunting from blinds or from behind a tree out west is a far cry from hunters trying for an eastern gobbler the same way.
You're the last guy here to be questioning anything spring gobbler related........

I can honestly say I haven’t watched a hunting show on TV in 5+ years. And never a Turkey show. I just meant all the ones I see in NY on Instagram killed with a bow, bowsite, etc. maybe they are all liars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I can honestly say I haven’t watched a hunting show on TV in 5+ years. And never a Turkey show. I just meant all the ones I see in NY on Instagram killed with a bow, bowsite, etc. maybe they are all liars?

Shot from a blind........big difference Robin Hood.

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You and everybody else are missing the point. 

Making a move on a bird close to you within shooting range is totally different than calling blind from behind a boulder and peeking your head over the top (or sides) as your trying to call a gobbler in.  If you can pull that off, you are the Master. 

If you know a bird is right there and you slide out and pop him, well that's no big deal, a Brownie Scout could do that.

Now if a guy was just resting his gun and call on the boulder and blind calling, hoping for a distant gobble, well that's a different deal but to try and hide behind a rock and peek out once in a while thinking you'll get the drop on an approaching Tom is ludicrous.

Your missing the point. 

Sometimes you get caught out of position. Many times I've peeked around a tree to keep tabs on a approaching tom. Many times I've had to shift to the right to gain a better shot angle. Ya I try to wait till he's blocked by a tree or a rock, but if your careful and a little lucky, it's definitely doable.  

Just like this opening day. Had two toms gobble behind me.  I shifted around but had a huge oak 6' in front of me. They ended up 12 yrds away directly behind that tree. Had no clue which side of the tree they were going to end up. I picked the right side, they picked the left. I slowly inched my gun to the left a couple feet and shot him at 12 steps. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mowin said:

Your missing the point. 

Sometimes you get caught out of position. Many times I've peeked around a tree to keep tabs on a approaching tom. Many times I've had to shift to the right to gain a better shot angle. Ya I try to wait till he's blocked by a tree or a rock, but if your careful and a little lucky, it's definitely doable.  

Just like this opening day. Had two toms gobble behind me.  I shifted around but had a huge oak 6' in front of me. They ended up 12 yrds away directly behind that tree. Had no clue which side of the tree they were going to end up. I picked the right side, they picked the left. I slowly inched my gun to the left a couple feet and shot him at 12 steps. 

I guess I have.........

Shot from a blind........big difference Robin Hood.

So they are all lying saying they aren’t from the blind? And all the videos out there with bow kills on turkeys are fake? And the one @crappyice killed with the bow was fake? And Other forum members too?