Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So they are all lying saying they aren’t from the blind? And all the videos out there with bow kills on turkeys are fake? And the one @crappyice killed with the bow was fake? And Other forum members too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try it and get back to me........

• Thanks 1

You’re being grumpy. Bill killed 122 turkeys I believe. You don’t think even 50 of them could have been killed with a bow? I doubt every single one would have flown away before he drew & shot.

• Like 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You don’t think even 50 of them could have been killed with a bow? I doubt every single one would have flown away before he drew & shot.

:)

He's killed them on the wing with a shotgun, why couldn't he do it with archery gear?

50 could be low, maybe 75 with stick & string?

He's killed them on the wing with a shotgun, why couldn't he do it with archery gear?
50 could be low, maybe 75 with stick & string?

He would have to answer but agree roughly half seems about right. I’ll say 61 then.

I can say from the 15ish spring birds I’ve killed with a bow zero were from a blind and that is exactly how I learned how forgiving turkeys CAN be to movement.

@Biz-R-OWorld I would say hunting them with a bow without a blind is more than twice as hard probably close to 10x’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I can tell you I have been bow hunting from a tree stand and had turkeys move around me and right under me while I moved around looking at them.  Nobody can predict what a turkey will do.  You just can't figure the birds.  Much like you can't figure fish or any other wild thing.

I've taken many turkey with some slow movement and also walked under many roosted in trees after dawn.  You just cannot say turkey will react in a certain way 100% of the time, because they don't.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

I think it depends on the bird at that time .I’ve followed them into a wood line to only be 15 yards from it watching me and killed them with a bow ,Then other times they get spooked at 40 yards for some unknown reason .

It's almost as if turkeys see movement at 40+ yards they spook and move on. I really think they put so much trust in their eyes that if something moves when they're within 15 yards they think, Ah can't be nothing to worry about, I would have spotted it way before I got here. Sounds crazy but I've had them spot me at twenty yards lifting my shotgun and they stop for a second and carry on.

• Like 6

Just had a big Tom strutting in the yard following 2 hens ,Wife loaded up the kids 30 yards away ,didn’t move ,I ran to the truck to get my bow release ,didn’t budge ,sneak on the patio at 40 yards with bow and release ,Turkey gone lol .I usually get one every year in the back yard with the bow .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You and everybody else are missing the point. 

Making a move on a bird close to you within shooting range is totally different than calling blind from behind a boulder and peeking your head over the top (or sides) as your trying to call a gobbler in.  If you can pull that off, you are the Master. 

If you know a bird is right there and you slide out and pop him, well that's no big deal, a Brownie Scout could do that.

Now if a guy was just resting his gun and call on the boulder and blind calling, hoping for a distant gobble, well that's a different deal but to try and hide behind a rock and peek out once in a while thinking you'll get the drop on an approaching Tom is ludicrous.

thank you, that was exactly the point. Not that it can't be done or isn't possible or that any movement will always result in failure, just that the strategy doesn't make sense. If it was a photo op just say so lol.

11 hours ago, mowin said:

Your missing the point. 

Sometimes you get caught out of position. Many times I've peeked around a tree to keep tabs on a approaching tom. Many times I've had to shift to the right to gain a better shot angle. Ya I try to wait till he's blocked by a tree or a rock, but if your careful and a little lucky, it's definitely doable.  

Just like this opening day. Had two toms gobble behind me.  I shifted around but had a huge oak 6' in front of me. They ended up 12 yrds away directly behind that tree. Had no clue which side of the tree they were going to end up. I picked the right side, they picked the left. I slowly inched my gun to the left a couple feet and shot him at 12 steps. 

see above. having to adjust because you don't have a choice is very different than planning that out as your strategy. No?

11 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So they are all lying saying they aren’t from the blind? And all the videos out there with bow kills on turkeys are fake? And the one @crappyice killed with the bow was fake? And Other forum members too?

i thought you weren't watching bowhunting turkey videos?

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I can say from the 15ish spring birds I’ve killed with a bow zero were from a blind and that is exactly how I learned how forgiving turkeys CAN be to movement.

@Biz-R-OWorld I would say hunting them with a bow without a blind is more than twice as hard probably close to 10x’s.

Right. But you still killed 15. Lawd making it sounds like it's impossible lol

I’m around buckmasters numbers wise shooting turkey with a bow and no blind .I’ve shot more with a bow then gun .And ,I’ve never shot a turkey out of a blind yet .But I’m still trying to figure these birds out as I have not hunted them that long as some of the guys here .I guess I’m unconventional for the most part but I do have some good luck .

• Like 1

Thanks @Biz-R-OWorld so glad to be a part of this intellectual discussion.

The owner of the postage stamp parcel I deer hunt in 3S called me because the Turkey were scraping up his seedlings. I showed up with my bow, saw a flocking 15 birds, parked my car, walked to 20 yards and shot over the back of one...they walked away. I followed, got closer and shot one in the back. Followed it and found it getting pummeled by another Tom that I had to scare away.
Last year I roosted birds the night before on the same parcel and couldn’t get a shot after being there before light, fully hiding myself, etc.
Guess I should have used my car blind and stealthy stalking techniques of the past.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now this past May 3rd when, I  shot that 23lber,I  was indeed standing behind a Big ol Hickory Tree with some lower Branchs to help hide my outline.
  Not really a Decoy guy- but,I  had one out. I stepped out slightly and hammered him.
  To add to this little debate here, I  gave to make it clear that, I  wash all my Camo- Hat included in - SPORTWASH.
  This takes the UV Brighteners  out of your cloths- so you don't  stick out as the- Light Blue Glowing Dude. 
  Once the Gobblers know what to look for- Glowing light Blue Predator- your Toast.
  Buy Sportwash- use it or not and stick with TIDE and get busted on a Field Edge.

Use what ever helps your confidence but I shot both my birds this year wearing firstlite camo pants, a brown and white flannel shirt and a grey hat, no gives or face mask all washed in whatever is cheapest. When I was only using a bow I would wear a leafy shirt but it got ripped and I never replaced it because I never found it to work any better than an earth colored flannel.

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

Thanks @Biz-R-OWorld so glad to be a part of this intellectual discussion.

The owner of the postage stamp parcel I deer hunt in 3S called me because the Turkey were scraping up his seedlings. I showed up with my bow, saw a flocking 15 birds, parked my car, walked to 20 yards and shot over the back of one...they walked away. I followed, got closer and shot one in the back. Followed it and found it getting pummeled by another Tom that I had to scare away.
Last year I roosted birds the night before on the same parcel and couldn’t get a shot after being there before light, fully hiding myself, etc.
Guess I should have used my car blind and stealthy stalking techniques of the past.

sounds like the burbs? Maybe a little different than stewart no?

Tagged out Sunday. Orange County public land. Kind of hate when seasons go as easy as this one. Didn’t get to spend that much time in the woods. Only two Sundays and just a quick walk on Saturday. Guess it makes up for all of the other tough ones. 

B7FB41B8-2765-4C92-9134-5F42E4FC456F.jpeg

46F77D1B-6C81-40AE-B35A-24FF7D496C95.jpeg

• Like 16

17 hours ago, Rowdy10 said:

I bet someone on here heard that shot ring out Sunday morning

3 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

We only heard one shot Sunday lolol

Could be. It’s a huge piece of public that I was hunting. There were some other cars in the parking lot when I got there. 

• Like 2

What a day! Got to camp last night in time to check on some birds. Woke up at 145 am couldnt get back to sleep so I said screw it and threw all my gear in the truck left a note on the table and off to west Virginia I went.
Got to the WMA land at 420 am nobody there so off to the top of the mountain I trudge(them hills were not that steep 40 years ago)
I get up on top by 520 and find thetree to set up on that I found 2 weeks prior. I was not set down 10 minutes when the first gobbler fired off 150 yards out but he sounded jakey. Soon a second bird started gobbling 50 yards to his right.
Now both are gobbling and they both sound mature but the closer one now sounds throatier. Finally it's getting light enough a bird should feel comfortable flying down.
I was sure these birds were the same ones from 2 weeks ago so i knew i needed to be the first bird on the ground. I did a hard flydown with the wing right into some soft clucks and yelps, both birds double gobbled and i catch sight of 1 bird flying down.
I make another soft cluck series and when the second bird flew down it sounded like he took out 3 trees on the way down. A couple purrputts a scratch in the leaves brought another double double gobble.
In under 3 minutes I could see 2 snow white heads coming through the dark woods.
Both birds stepped out into an open area both full fans but the only one strutting was the lead bird. Finally he broke strut at 35 yards looking for the hen and I eased the safe off put the crosshairs on his eyeball and sent a load of tss 7 on it's way.
Dropped him like a bag of potatoes and never even flopped. The other one stood around for a minute then walked back the way they came.
Got him tagged and reported grabbed a quick pic. He is a lightweight at 16 lbs. 1.25" spurs and 10.5" beard.
Headed back down the mountain thinking if I get a move on I can get back to camp early enough to have 3/4 hours to hunt pa. So needless to say I beat feet down the mountain and may or may not have ran with the flow of traffic on 79 and may or may not of been the lead vehicle in the draft lol.
Was back at camp by 830 am and off I go. First spot trolled thru and nothing so I head to the second spot and see no fresh tire tracks anywhere. Gear up and I ease up to the top of the hill and set up against one of my favorite trees.
First 3 series of calls are met with dead silence. Setting there contemplating my next move and figure 1 more series and if nothing I'm outa here like a herd a turtles. Soon after I yelped I get a reply from a hen and she gets vocal and consistant with yelps and clucks so I kept talking and it took her probably 45 minutes to get to a point I could see her on the bench below me.
She was just content now to talk scratch and eat whatever she was scratching up. Every so often she would purr,cluck and I would answer and do a few leaf scratches. I was watching her when I hear wings dragging in the leaves way off to my left, I look as far left as I can with my eyes and can barely see a black ball strutting towards me 30 yards away.
He walks behind a big wild cherry tree and I snap the gun to the left and the hens head flies up and she's looking like what's that.. leafy wear dont fail me now.
He steps out from behind the tree right into the scope and I can see a good beard and full fan, ease the safety off and lights out on gobbler number 2 of the day in 2 separate states 5 hrs. Between shots.

West Virginia bird.

Pa bird ( the one with the small tree log)60950f1fbc073277f88686e7ce97765b.jpg8e38da07c9f1436d1e3fbd99acd78137.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 26