Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

2 hours ago, reeltime said:

What a day! Got to camp last night in time to check on some birds. Woke up at 145 am couldnt get back to sleep so I said screw it and threw all my gear in the truck left a note on the table and off to west Virginia I went.
Got to the WMA land at 420 am nobody there so off to the top of the mountain I trudge(them hills were not that steep 40 years ago)
I get up on top by 520 and find thetree to set up on that I found 2 weeks prior. I was not set down 10 minutes when the first gobbler fired off 150 yards out but he sounded jakey. Soon a second bird started gobbling 50 yards to his right.
Now both are gobbling and they both sound mature but the closer one now sounds throatier. Finally it's getting light enough a bird should feel comfortable flying down.
I was sure these birds were the same ones from 2 weeks ago so i knew i needed to be the first bird on the ground. I did a hard flydown with the wing right into some soft clucks and yelps, both birds double gobbled and i catch sight of 1 bird flying down.
I make another soft cluck series and when the second bird flew down it sounded like he took out 3 trees on the way down. A couple purrputts a scratch in the leaves brought another double double gobble.
In under 3 minutes I could see 2 snow white heads coming through the dark woods.
Both birds stepped out into an open area both full fans but the only one strutting was the lead bird. Finally he broke strut at 35 yards looking for the hen and I eased the safe off put the crosshairs on his eyeball and sent a load of tss 7 on it's way.
Dropped him like a bag of potatoes and never even flopped. The other one stood around for a minute then walked back the way they came.
Got him tagged and reported grabbed a quick pic. He is a lightweight at 16 lbs. 1.25" spurs and 10.5" beard.
Headed back down the mountain thinking if I get a move on I can get back to camp early enough to have 3/4 hours to hunt pa. So needless to say I beat feet down the mountain and may or may not have ran with the flow of traffic on 79 and may or may not of been the lead vehicle in the draft lol.
Was back at camp by 830 am and off I go. First spot trolled thru and nothing so I head to the second spot and see no fresh tire tracks anywhere. Gear up and I ease up to the top of the hill and set up against one of my favorite trees.
First 3 series of calls are met with dead silence. Setting there contemplating my next move and figure 1 more series and if nothing I'm outa here like a herd a turtles. Soon after I yelped I get a reply from a hen and she gets vocal and consistant with yelps and clucks so I kept talking and it took her probably 45 minutes to get to a point I could see her on the bench below me.
She was just content now to talk scratch and eat whatever she was scratching up. Every so often she would purr,cluck and I would answer and do a few leaf scratches. I was watching her when I hear wings dragging in the leaves way off to my left, I look as far left as I can with my eyes and can barely see a black ball strutting towards me 30 yards away.
He walks behind a big wild cherry tree and I snap the gun to the left and the hens head flies up and she's looking like what's that.. leafy wear dont fail me now.
He steps out from behind the tree right into the scope and I can see a good beard and full fan, ease the safety off and lights out on gobbler number 2 of the day in 2 separate states 5 hrs. Between shots.

West Virginia bird.

Pa bird ( the one with the small tree log)

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

awesome read. thanks for sharing and congrats!

Was headed to the local diner this morning,  and seen a hen 30 yrds out in a field.  As I slowed down to get a look, she squatted down into the tall grass. Only time I've seen that is if she had poults. Seems a little early, but ya never know.  April was rather warm. 

Edited by mowin

19 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Was not aware they removed the one bird per day restriction.

19 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Was not aware they removed the one bird per day restriction.

I don’t think they did...

17 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

He must have taken another on a earlier day. New member- 2 posts.

Exactly. One on the first Sunday and one last Sunday. He must’ve missed the part where I said I went out on multiple days. 

Edited by Bodhi_308
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

All he stated was that he tagged out Sunday ,not that he killed 2 birds Sunday 

No need to get your panties in a bunch. You had to look close to see it was two different pictures.  It was a honest mistake >Lighten up.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:26 PM, Belo said:

no issues hunting the burbs. Just that i think we can all agree that they act differently than a big woods public land bird is all.

Years ago i shot a nice Tom across from Wilink middle school , never heard him as they were having gym class outside and the kids were noisy. 

• Like 2

I have not heard one gobble on my land, or any of the adjoining properties around my land, the entire month of May.  This is Delaware County.  In the end of April I had two hens and one Tom in my backyard once, but that's all I have seen.  Checking the local farms around my area shows very few birds around, where there used to be big flocks of birds.  I've seen 3 or 4 Toms in nearby fields with a few hens, but that's all.  Nobody knows what happened to them, but everyone agrees the numbers are way down.

Maybe things will improve as the month progresses, but I'm not really expecting much.

20 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

All he stated was that he tagged out Sunday ,not that he killed 2 birds Sunday 

14 hours ago, Steve D said:

No need to get your panties in a bunch. You had to look close to see it was two different pictures.  It was a honest mistake >Lighten up.

Don’t think anyone’s panties are bunched but implying that I poached a bird isn’t cool. I get it. Honest mistake. 

• Like 1

I  didn,t hunt this morning because I had to take my Louisiana guest to the airport....It was only the second time this season I wasn't in the woods before daylight.. I was a little bummed not being able to be out there on such a nice morning , but now that hardly anybody is hearing anything, I don't feel so bad... Maybe they'll gobble tomorrow...

• Like 3