Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

What a morning.  Got pinned by hens as 2 gobblers approaching from basically same direction as merged together . Both birds henned up and shut down for 20 minutes or so. Semi hit jack brakes and one gobbled again. Went to very soft purrs around side of leg and mostly scratching leaves . Tag #2 punched. Now Samantha comes home this week so hoping to finally get her on her first ever. 3.5” tss 7’s absolutely flatten birds. Stock 2 year old 
92EB6716-F8C2-4818-9B6C-9B2FAA64C33D.thumb.jpeg.92521b2fe4d4f739bd78105956be1dc2.jpeg
7D24227D-028B-487E-9A5D-ECFF7A5F6BDE.thumb.jpeg.c24d83bb8b41aea037a528f3431224c2.jpeg
8C85CBD9-F371-4D05-BDC0-7EF34316FA30.thumb.jpeg.dc3504997816a1dee8b2c49cd37c70af.jpeg
6FCE22B0-30C9-4DC6-80CC-2C852225B063.thumb.jpeg.26f9326d3ac823ad76e1c391cf9f8793.jpeg

Turkeyfeathers = Turkeyslayer!!

Congrats Jay!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5/18/2021-- Worked 2 Gobblers already.
  Gave Tom #1 straight Clucks- followed 5 minutes later with Clucks + Purrs on my Canecreek Poplar Pot with Slate over Glass and a matching African Blackwood Striker.
   He Drifted away.
 Gobbler # 2 was gobbling good. Held his ground out of sight at 60- 70 yards. Soft Clucks + Purrs.He stayed right there for 20 minutes. Then drifted away.
 Now- just before 7am, I  am hearing Coyotes not far off.
  Busy today- Go to my 1st calling area to call again- then slow walk out while Calling.
  They are Pressured- but,I  Love just being out here.
20210518_064914.thumb.jpg.ae51ec96f4167b9260b34ddd55378e50.jpg

You have more patience than me Bill, if I have one hang up that close I’m laying the sneak on him for sure!

Ny bird #1 did just that, it took some time to get close enough to him and I kept having to call him back to where he was comfortable but he ended up on the turkey tote.

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

5/18/2021-- Worked 2 Gobblers already.

Gave Tom #1 straight Clucks- followed 5 minutes later with Clucks + Purrs on my Canecreek Poplar Pot with Slate over Glass and a matching African Blackwood Striker.

He Drifted away.

Gobbler # 2 was gobbling good. Held his ground out of sight at 60- 70 yards. Soft Clucks + Purrs.He stayed right there for 20 minutes. Then drifted away.

Now- just before 7am, I  am hearing Coyotes not far off.

Busy today- Go to my 1st calling area to call again- then slow walk out while Calling.

They are Pressured- but,I  Love just being out here.

20210518_064914.jpg

You and Tf are the true masters of turkey hunting :) Good luck fellow turkey hunter :) 

Edited by WWJD_Hunter

31 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You have more patience than me Bill, if I have one hang up that close I’m laying the sneak on him for sure!

Ny bird #1 did just that, it took some time to get close enough to him and I kept having to call him back to where he was comfortable but he ended up on the turkey tote.

Man this is the #1 thing that I struggle with. Should I stay or should I go. Last Sunday I was just sooooo tempted, but then wondering if he would come in eventually as I wasn't sure if he was still in the tree or not. But then of course when I didn't, I kick myself for not getting up and trying. This is what I love about turkey vs deer though.

• Like 1

I went out this morning only had 3 hours before I had to get back home . I set up near a tree that Bill and I had one in last week . Nope he was in the first field  I tried to get closer . Watched him strut in the field then he went out the way I came in . ugh I should of  went with my first instinct  and wait  just before entering the field  but I was afraid  that if he was in the other field he would see me coming . Oh well  he will be there this weekend 

• Like 1

It felt good to go out on my own today but I missed bill.  Lol he would of had that old Tom walking right to me . But  my clucks and purs and yelping  are still not good enough.  Lol he looked my way 3 times then said  something  is wrong with that hen  lolol

• Like 2

Man this is the #1 thing that I struggle with. Should I stay or should I go. Last Sunday I was just sooooo tempted, but then wondering if he would come in eventually as I wasn't sure if he was still in the tree or not. But then of course when I didn't, I kick myself for not getting up and trying. This is what I love about turkey vs deer though.

I will always swing at strike 3 rather than watch it go by!

• Like 1

Feeling like I let a good opportunity slip through my fingers this morning. I was out on my first solo turkey hunt without my dad. Got to our spot at 5:30 this morning to hear a Tom fly off the roost and start gobbling. I get setup facing his direction and where I thought he’d come from. I could barely hear his responses over the nearby stream, but he’d give a gobble every so often. He eventually made his way from my right, out in front of me, then off to my left. I could still hear him gobbling infrequently. It was when I heard him gobble almost directly behind me I decided I’d have to move trees. I had a tree facing that direction picked out and moved to it (even though I was now sitting really close to the decoy, probably only 10 yards from it). Within a few minutes, he came into sight. He was working the slope of a hill in my direction. He crossed a fallen tree and gobbled. He walked down the hill a bit more and stopped around 30 yards away. I thought he would come down the shooting lane I had picked out so I held off in taking the shot. Next thing I know, he decided something wasn’t quite right, sounded off in the alarm putt, and took off across the nearby stream. I heard him gobble again, but thought it would be in the best interest to pick up and vacate the area. I’m not sure if I could have done too much differently. Do y'all think I should give the spot a few days before going back? I’m not sure how badly I spooked the bird

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Str8Shooter said:

Feeling like I let a good opportunity slip through my fingers this morning. I was out on my first solo turkey hunt without my dad. Got to our spot at 5:30 this morning to hear a Tom fly off the roost and start gobbling. I get setup facing his direction and where I thought he’d come from. I could barely hear his responses over the nearby stream, but he’d give a gobble every so often. He eventually made his way from my right, out in front of me, then off to my left. I could still hear him gobbling infrequently. It was when I heard him gobble almost directly behind me I decided I’d have to move trees. I had a tree facing that direction picked out and moved to it (even though I was now sitting really close to the decoy, probably only 10 yards from it). Within a few minutes, he came into sight. He was working the slope of a hill in my direction. He crossed a fallen tree and gobbled. He walked down the hill a bit more and stopped around 30 yards away. I thought he would come down the shooting lane I had picked out so I held off in taking the shot. Next thing I know, he decided something wasn’t quite right, sounded off in the alarm putt, and took off across the nearby stream. I heard him gobble again, but thought it would be in the best interest to pick up and vacate the area. I’m not sure if I could have done too much differently. Do y'all think I should give the spot a few days before going back? I’m not sure how badly I spooked the bird

You got the whole show! Id hunt him again tomorrow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

It’s 7am and no live posts. Either you’re all sleeping or have a bird wound up all tight and playing the game of chess with him. Good luck if you’re out there. 

this thread is a lot less active then years past. But the board has also dropped off quite a bit too. So not sure if that's why, or just less members after birds this year. I was surprised that even last sunday there was only 3 or 4 of us posting.

• Like 1