Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

Well I was disappointed with my lack of testinal fortitude yesterday so I made it out today. Will have to be a shorter hunt because of work though.

Birds gobbling same general spots but farther away. Mosquitos super bad and didn’t pack the thermacell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Set up at 5.55am.

Timber Hunter Bill awaits a Grand Appearance 

20210521_055723.jpg

Finally figured out why Bill's pictures are never right side up.  He waits for the turkeys by hanging upside down from a tree limb.  I guess the turkey's think he's a bat and pay him no mind.  LOL

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 6.23.47 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Didn't seal the deal, but a cool hunt this morning. Around 7:30 it's warming up and I'm thinking this is about it for me. I let go a last call, pretty aggressive set of yelps on the box call and I get some yelps in return, not too far from me. I answer back and she's moving in. My hopes of course is that this girl fight attracts some dudes or she has a boyfriend in tow. Well I see her movement about 50 yards in the brush and she's leaving. I call again and she comes back in fuming.

We spend the next 45 freaking minutes together. At one point she came within 5 yards of me. For a good 15 minutes she just nested on a log haha.

I know my calling is average at best, but I didn't know it was gay. I'm 3 for 4 on calling in hens this year haha

• Like 7

Working from home today and got a pic at 9:59am from my cell cam, located ~125 yards from my house! LOL Big friggin' bird!! Been playing cat and mouse with this MOFO all season! My blind is right in the corner of the the field! 

SYFW0003-2.jpg 

He's passes by there quite frequently mid-morning. Might have to pack a breakfast (or 3 :pardon:) of these days and sit out there all morning. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jperch said:

And that is a great way to lure in a wary gobbler!  I just mimic whatever the hen is talking, it seems to tick them off and she gets excited.  If there is a gobbler around he is likely to investigate.

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

I remember  a good 20 years back on a Memorial  Day Weekend- a Hen was looking for the source  of " Cutting"-- me.

She was Yelping + Cutting-- Loud! I called her in twice doing the same thing.

A Gobbler who usually never moved was coming in!

Killed him after that Hen and,I  had a 20 minute conversation. 

I have killed a number of Memorial  Weekend Gobblers over the years.

Throw the Rulebook Out The Window!

yeah that's what I was hoping for, but no dice. Still a cool show though.

• Like 1

Didn't seal the deal, but a cool hunt this morning. Around 7:30 it's warming up and I'm thinking this is about it for me. I let go a last call, pretty aggressive set of yelps on the box call and I get some yelps in return, not too far from me. I answer back and she's moving in. My hopes of course is that this girl fight attracts some dudes or she has a boyfriend in tow. Well I see her movement about 50 yards in the brush and she's leaving. I call again and she comes back in fuming.
We spend the next 45 freaking minutes together. At one point she came within 5 yards of me. For a good 15 minutes she just nested on a log haha.
I know my calling is average at best, but I didn't know it was gay. I'm 3 for 4 on calling in hens this year haha

Could you see her tongue? That always cracks me up when you get them barking literally in your face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Could you see her tongue? That always cracks me up when you get them barking literally in your face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

so close that I could see the bugs coming off when she was preening (is that the right word for bird?)

• Like 3

Not a peep. Unfortunately, that’s typical though. The tom I’m after usually doesn’t come through here until ~7:30-10:00, IF he comes at all. Hope I can hold out that long. Tweaked back + minimal turkey hunting desire = restless Cabin Fever!

The Thermacell is keeping the skeeters at bay anyways!!

TF, be sure to elbow Samantha every once in a while or.... well we all know what’ll happen... zzzzzzzz.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Not a peep. Unfortunately, that’s typical though. The tom I’m after usually doesn’t come through here until ~7:30-10:00, IF he comes at all. Hope I can hold out that long. Tweaked back + minimal turkey hunting desire = restless Cabin Fever!

The Thermacell is keeping the skeeters at bay anyways!!

TF, be sure to elbow Samantha every once in a while or.... well we all know what’ll happen... zzzzzzzz.

Time for that elbow ! Thermacell our friend too. Also nary a gobble 

B71126AE-6A10-47C8-AD81-4FFB9E9318DE.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1