Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

4 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

How often do you call, when there doesn’t seem to be a turkey around for miles? Seems like I give a few yelps every ~15min. Don’t want to over call, but I get bored...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I call every 10-15 minutes or so. Very rarely do I ever Yelp . I   Stay with soft clucks n purrs. If he’s not hammering he’s coming in silent and I’ll be like oh crap where did you come from. 

• Like 2

I call every 10-15 minutes or so. Very rarely do I ever Yelp . I   Stay with soft clucks n purrs. If he’s not hammering he’s coming in silent and I’ll be like oh crap where did you come from. 

What he said! Unless a bird is hung up or very excited I almost never Yelp, neither do real hens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What he said! Unless a bird is hung up or very excited I almost never Yelp, neither do real hens.

For the last 2 weeks I have had single mature hens come in to my fields in 2 separate locations that are 10 miles apart. Both of these hens walked in from the far end of the fields and we're clucking and cutting loudly. They would stop every so often and give out a very short low volume yelp followed immediately with clucking. We actually recorded the hens calling so that we could use the recordings for practice. There is no better calling teacher than a real hen on the move. Several years ago I heard the worst turkey calling ever from a neighbor's woods. I was convinced it was one of the neighbor's kids walking through the woods with a newly purchased call. The calls were way too loud and we're too frequent and off key. I waited for the kid to exit the woods and to my surprise saw a mature hen come out still calling. I learned a lesson. It is not what the call sounds like to a human but what it sounds like to a bird that counts.    valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 4

So while Bill and I were getting ready to go out today we meet a fellow  member  in the parking lot . Hi Chris.  It was awesome to talk to you .  Had a little gtg.
20210522_083036.thumb.jpg.c518b477dbefe30531b5ec5e7cb9f4e7.jpg

Hi Cynthia and Blackbeltbill just got home to Long Island. It was amazing meeting you guys and blackbeltbill can’t thank you enough for the impromptu lesson, I could pick your brain all day. I’m going to practice at work today.

Heard a gobbler today going off.... never came by my decoys or me. When I left my spot I ran into him 5 feet off the road. First time I have seen a turkey while hunting this is my first year. I’ll try again soon. Can’t thank you enough Cynthia and blackbeltbill it was so much fun today.

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Nothing gobbling on our lease or the state land around the corner so rather than go mobile or go to the ground I decided to go fishing. Next time I'm skipping the 3am wakeup and just going fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#fugturkeys

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:42 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

idk man early in the morning I hear real yelps all the time. After 7 though you're right I never hear yelps.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:17 AM, CharlieNY said:

For the last 2 weeks I have had single mature hens come in to my fields in 2 separate locations that are 10 miles apart. Both of these hens walked in from the far end of the fields and we're clucking and cutting loudly. They would stop every so often and give out a very short low volume yelp followed immediately with clucking. We actually recorded the hens calling so that we could use the recordings for practice. There is no better calling teacher than a real hen on the move. Several years ago I heard the worst turkey calling ever from a neighbor's woods. I was convinced it was one of the neighbor's kids walking through the woods with a newly purchased call. The calls were way too loud and we're too frequent and off key. I waited for the kid to exit the woods and to my surprise saw a mature hen come out still calling. I learned a lesson. It is not what the call sounds like to a human but what it sounds like to a bird that counts.    valoroutdoors.com 

Yep. Over the years I have heard many terrible sounding hunters that turned out to be live turkeys. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got a shot on the gobbler I’ve been chasing for a week. My dad and I set up around 20 yards away from each other. He called the Tom into the field I was watching over. He hung up in the field around 35 yards, give or take 5 or so. I was confident enough in my patterning to take the shot. I put my sights on his neck and squeezed the trigger. Next thing I know he’s in the air flying in the opposite direction 150 yards until he was out of view. We inspected where I shot and found only one feather. Hopefully he isn’t mortally wounded. I know this happens to everyone if they hunt long enough, but I’m still devastated at what happened. Gonna give it a few days off before getting back out

A little late here but figured I would update, my brother and I have chased this one bird all season. He is visible from the road and there are very few houses on this rd. SO Id imagine he gets called to and most certainly tresspassed on when  we arent around even though we have it posted. We've caught people trying to get on this bird, and others in the past few years form the road. 

Anywho, My brother has worked like hell to pattern this bird and did so opening week, He Got in early where he was roosted. But got to close. He was right underneath him.. bird flew down(away from him) at close to the max range he wants to shoot. So he took a shot and missed as he was working away towards the property line.. boom, miss, bird flew away..  

After that the bird changed his roost patterns, when my bro had time he'd run an hr south to the lease and try and roost this bird as much as possible. He picked up his new roost pattern and for a half dozen sits we tried to get this bird dead. Close every time but could not seal the deal. We finally found the exact tree he was roosted in and my brother went back in a few days later. Bird flew down almost into his lap and started putting immediately... he let him get out a bit further and took a shot.. and missed again.. bird flies away. 

That was Friday and he said Saturday and Sunday the bird was back in the same general location early am.

This bird will not come to calling. Will gobble no problem.. he has 2 jakes and 3 hens he hangs with on and off all day everyday. Pretty sure hes a younger tom.. For me the bird gets the pass til next year. but my brother is going to try and connect with him this weekend again. If he lives hes gonna be a smart a$$ bird lol

He likes to roost on a beautiful ridge and in one of the prettiest hardwood ridges ive seen.. his 2 typical go to roost spots.. about 300 yards apart 

End of rant. lol. bird numbers sure seem low as noted before... 

• Like 2