Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

23 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

So yesterday ,I Biked in and set out a Cheap Feather Flex Decoy in a Huge Field.

Around 7am- a Hen came in the Field and stood next to my Decoy for about 10 minutes. She moved off and,I  called her back with low Clucks on my Slate over Glass. She answered in kind- low Clucks.

She moved off but stayed in that Field for 1 Hour. No Gobbler appeared- but 2 Young Turkey Hunters did later on.

Pulled the Decoy and left after someone tripped over the old slippery Log Blind 50 yards down the like from me. That is where the sound came from. 

So- why was,I  in that Pressured  Field on the last Day. A lesson that David Hale wrote in Ultimate  Turkey Hunting. He wrote- he would always hunt those very Pressured  areas when a few weeks of heavy pressure  were off.

And,I  did see 2 Monster Gobblers there 3 days ago that easily survived the Pressure  and the Fake Super Raspy Diaphragms  that,I  heard yesterday  too.

One Gobbler was dragging a 12" Beard at least! I al.ost got him in the rain.

Next Spring, I  have some super areas in Sterling Forest that,I  will be Hiking all Summer. Much Tougher Terrain as well.

Up to 122 Turkeys now. Old Bill is still motivated. A Fall Gobbler would be nice. That's next as well as Stewart Pheasant Hunting.

Pheasant Hunting-- cant wait and Plenty of long walks for ABBEY to get her ready.

That field has extremely heavy foot traffic. It’s a popular thoroughfare to a certain water feature. But to each their own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Indeed we have crossed paths at Stewart before.. As well as a few more new Forum members as well. 

That said I have 3 other areas to hunt as well. Been Hiking + Hunting  22,000 acre Sterling Forest since 1990. Know every mountaintop + Swamp.

That said, I could be at Stewart at any time or place on the map. Pheasant Hunting is next at Stewart and you are right that Field is popular  with Pheasant Hunters as well.

Yea it is. Pheasant hunters are a pain in the ass usually taking the spots I’d like to deer hunt but there’s plenty of other options so it’s not the end of the world. 

47 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I knew that problem  would arise at Stewart when the early Deer Archery Season In the Southren Zone was moved back from October  20th or so to October 1st when Pheasant Season also opens. 

That was back in 2015 . At the same time the Fall Turkey Season  was moved back near by 3 weeks to about October  20th from October  1st- again- in 2015.

Basically a Switch took place.

Archery Deer Hunters + Pheasant Hunters want the same parking spots now.

I am so glad that I hunt in an  area where I don't have to compete for parking spots....

The second day of spring season this year I drove around a nearby 900 acre  plot of state game land...There was one truck parked there ( with PA plates)....It is prime turkey woods, also..

Must be most guys are are not interested in hunting these poor, stupid, naaive  private land and lightly hunted  public land gobblers...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

I knew that problem  would arise at Stewart when the early Deer Archery Season In the Southren Zone was moved back from October  20th or so to October 1st when Pheasant Season also opens. 

That was back in 2015 . At the same time the Fall Turkey Season  was moved back near by 3 weeks to about October  20th from October  1st- again- in 2015.

Basically a Switch took place.

Archery Deer Hunters + Pheasant Hunters want the same parking spots now.

Didn’t know it was an early season. I rather refer to it as archery season. Not sure where you’re getting that from. 

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I am so glad that I hunt in an  area where I don't have to compete for parking spots....

The second day of spring season this year I drove around a nearby 900 acre  plot of state game land...There was one truck parked there ( with PA plates)....It is prime turkey woods, also..

Must be most guys are are not interested in hunting these poor, stupid, naaive  private land and lightly hunted  public land gobblers...

It’s not too big of a deal if you are a decent enough woodsman or know what you’re doing. Just gotta make the best of it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rowdy10 said:

Oh hell yea, gotta love the challenge of pressured game -especially getting that elusive fall turkey in that short 2 week season and after they been chased for 3 weeks by pheasant shooters and their best friends
Personally feel that fall turkey should be left alone since population is so very low
-But some turkey desperados cant seem to get it (but it's legal so be it) most don't seem like they get any anyway -its no fun when there is a October 1st opener and Turks are acting like dumb or dumber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the heck is a pheasant, and what the heck do they have to do with fall turkey hunting  ??

Youse guys must live in a different woild......Hehehe...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...