Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

mowin

I went to Little Valley yesterday. When I pulled in Wed evening there were 2 red heads in the field not 40yds from my blind. Got up and listened at first light no gobbling. Sat in the blind and 2 hens showed up and I got 1 cranked up, she cucked and yelped at me for almost an hour! Not 1 gobble. Went for a stroll around 10 and never heard anything.  My buddy went back to the blind and had 1 gobble 4x behind the blind but it wouldn't come out to the field.  Oh well that's turkey hunting, It was a beautiful day to be in the woods!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

I went to Little Valley yesterday. When I pulled in Wed evening there were 2 red heads in the field not 40yds from my blind. Got up and listened at first light no gobbling. Sat in the blind and 2 hens showed up and I got 1 cranked up, she cucked and yelped at me for almost an hour! Not 1 gobble. Went for a stroll around 10 and never heard anything.  My buddy went back to the blind and had 1 gobble 4x behind the blind but it wouldn't come out to the field.  Oh well that's turkey hunting, It was a beautiful day to be in the woods!

Where in little valley thats where I'm from

I haven't got my mom a gift yet, but I just thought up a perfect one.  I should have an hour or so to kill (litteraly), prior to church on Sunday.  

My wife and kids were not crazy about it, the last time I brought home a shot-up wild turkey.  Something about the blood and guts turned them off I guess. 

Maybe I can kill a tom for mom, on Mothers day morning behind her house, with the little .410 that grandpa bought for her when she was a little girl. 

Wouldn't that be a "special" gift ?  I will remove the breast and hand it to her in a zip lock bag.  Tentatively, I am planning on fishing Saturday morning (maybe she will also get a fresh lake Erie walleye).

I am going to at least give turkey hunting one more shot on Sunday. We gave my nephew permission to turkey hunt our place, so I dont want to horn in on his action at home.  He did a great job on the concrete work in my new pole barn.  I might get one last shot at spring turkeys, up in the Adirondacks, when we visit the in-laws on Memorial day weekend.

• Like 6

I haven't got my mom a gift yet, but I just thought up a perfect one.  I should have an hour or so to kill (litteraly), prior to church on Sunday.  
My wife and kids were not crazy about it, the last time I brought home a shot-up wild turkey.  Something about the blood and guts turned them off I guess. 
Maybe I can kill a tom for mom, on Mothers day morning behind her house, with the little .410 that grandpa bought for her when she was a little girl. 
Wouldn't that be a "special" gift ?  I will remove the breast and hand it to her in a zip lock bag.  Tentatively, I am planning on fishing Saturday morning (maybe she will also get a fresh lake Erie walleye).
 I am going to at least give turkey hunting one more shot on Sunday. We gave my nephew permission to turkey hunt our place, so I dont want to horn in on his action at home.  He did a great job on the concrete work in my new pole barn.  I might get one last shot at spring turkeys, up in the Adirondacks, when we visit the in-laws on Memorial day weekend.

My mom would freeze that, put it in a pillow case, and beat me half to death with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wow....only one member reporting in the woods on the second weekend of the season.
Knock one down Biz....!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Update: I sat in blind again. heard nothing. Legal shooting 513am so I waited for 520am and called. Before I could finish 3rd strike a Tom long gobbled to my left, so where I came from. I put call down. He gobbled every minute or so, then every 30 seconds or so. This went on for like 20min. Then mayhem broke loose. I herd a hen for first time. Or another hunter? It was like 20-25 yelps in a row. The Tom kept gobbling but the hen or hunter wouldn’t stop. Then another Tom gobbled off in the distance. Nothing since 545am. I just tried calling again at 6. No response.

• Like 3

Update: I sat in blind again. heard nothing. Legal shooting 513am so I waited for 520am and called. Before I could finish 3rd strike a Tom long gobbled to my left, so where I came from. I put call down. He gobbled every minute or so, then every 30 seconds or so. This went on for like 20min. Then mayhem broke loose. I herd a hen for first time. Or another hunter? It was like 20-25 yelps in a row. The Tom kept gobbling but the hen or hunter wouldn’t stop. Then another Tom gobbled off in the distance. Nothing since 545am. I just tried calling again at 6. No response.

Pretty cool to have all that sounding off and you in the middle of it.
I thought you were kindly instructed to throw the call away if he cuts you off?!?!
Tacks will NOT be pleased by the 6:00 call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought you were kindly instructed to throw the call away if he cuts you off?!?!

Couple soft yelps after fly down were advised just for good measure

Last week was better- 2 turkeys seen, 1 coon seen, 1 res fox seen.