Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a very interesting morning. Snuck into woods early. Looked around and said. That doesn't look like a turkey. Yup, it's a bear. 5 seconds later this bear ran straight at me. I can't post the video

7th Day out and,I  am finally on Board!  Had this Field to myself- ( not Stewart).   23lb Gobbler-- 1"+ Sharp Spurs, + a 10" Beard.  Bobbing Hen Decoy was out. Used a " Flydown Fla

Posted Images

Saw a lone big Tom yesterday at 10am ~100 yards away in a field. I called to him, but he just turned to look, gobbled, and continued on his way. He could care less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often do you call, when there doesn’t seem to be a turkey around for miles? Seems like I give a few yelps every ~15min. Don’t want to over call, but I get bored...

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

How often do you call, when there doesn’t seem to be a turkey around for miles? Seems like I give a few yelps every ~15min. Don’t want to over call, but I get bored...

I call every 10-15 minutes or so. Very rarely do I ever Yelp . I   Stay with soft clucks n purrs. If he’s not hammering he’s coming in silent and I’ll be like oh crap where did you come from. 

• Like 2
I call every 10-15 minutes or so. Very rarely do I ever Yelp . I   Stay with soft clucks n purrs. If he’s not hammering he’s coming in silent and I’ll be like oh crap where did you come from. 

What he said! Unless a bird is hung up or very excited I almost never Yelp, neither do real hens.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

DAF out here...

We just tapped out. We can hunt Monday thru Saturday plus Memorial Day. Lots of days left for her. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What he said! Unless a bird is hung up or very excited I almost never Yelp, neither do real hens.

Gonna have to disagree with that. I hear real hens yelping ALL the time 

• Like 7

Well Cynthia had some action. That Tom would  not come in to my calls though. And She was Purring on a Slate.

Tom kept walking..

So while Bill and I were getting ready to go out today we meet a fellow  member  in the parking lot . Hi Chris.  It was awesome to talk to you .  Had a little gtg.

20210522_083036.jpg

• Like 15
2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

For the last 2 weeks I have had single mature hens come in to my fields in 2 separate locations that are 10 miles apart. Both of these hens walked in from the far end of the fields and we're clucking and cutting loudly. They would stop every so often and give out a very short low volume yelp followed immediately with clucking. We actually recorded the hens calling so that we could use the recordings for practice. There is no better calling teacher than a real hen on the move. Several years ago I heard the worst turkey calling ever from a neighbor's woods. I was convinced it was one of the neighbor's kids walking through the woods with a newly purchased call. The calls were way too loud and we're too frequent and off key. I waited for the kid to exit the woods and to my surprise saw a mature hen come out still calling. I learned a lesson. It is not what the call sounds like to a human but what it sounds like to a bird that counts.    valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 4
So while Bill and I were getting ready to go out today we meet a fellow  member  in the parking lot . Hi Chris.  It was awesome to talk to you .  Had a little gtg.
20210522_083036.thumb.jpg.c518b477dbefe30531b5ec5e7cb9f4e7.jpg

Hi Cynthia and Blackbeltbill just got home to Long Island. It was amazing meeting you guys and blackbeltbill can’t thank you enough for the impromptu lesson, I could pick your brain all day. I’m going to practice at work today.

Heard a gobbler today going off.... never came by my decoys or me. When I left my spot I ran into him 5 feet off the road. First time I have seen a turkey while hunting this is my first year. I’ll try again soon. Can’t thank you enough Cynthia and blackbeltbill it was so much fun today.

• Like 13
3 hours ago, KBUsmc0311 said:

Hi Cynthia and Blackbeltbill just got home to Long Island. It was amazing meeting you guys and blackbeltbill can’t thank you enough for the impromptu lesson, I could pick your brain all day. I’m going to practice at work today.

Heard a gobbler today going off.... never came by my decoys or me. When I left my spot I ran into him 5 feet off the road. First time I have seen a turkey while hunting this is my first year. I’ll try again soon. Can’t thank you enough Cynthia and blackbeltbill it was so much fun today.

You are welcome. You have that " Turkey Addiction ".  It does not go away- lol!

Keep practicing  on that good slate.

• Like 1

Went for quick hike this morning on public, there was a bird that wanted to die on the mountain. He gobbled 50 times from the roost and was still gobbling as I was headed back to the car.

• Like 2

Birds are still Gobbling off of Pulaski  Highway.

Cynthia had a Gobbler that marched back and Forth to either ends of a Strut Zone Gobbling as he went. 

We set up in another area-but he was " Gobbled out.

Nothing gobbling on our lease or the state land around the corner so rather than go mobile or go to the ground I decided to go fishing. Next time I'm skipping the 3am wakeup and just going fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Nothing gobbling on our lease or the state land around the corner so rather than go mobile or go to the ground I decided to go fishing. Next time I'm skipping the 3am wakeup and just going fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#fugturkeys

• Like 2
  • Haha 1