Unofficially....Live from the woods 2021 turkey hunting thread.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a very interesting morning. Snuck into woods early. Looked around and said. That doesn't look like a turkey. Yup, it's a bear. 5 seconds later this bear ran straight at me. I can't post the video

7th Day out and,I  am finally on Board!  Had this Field to myself- ( not Stewart).   23lb Gobbler-- 1"+ Sharp Spurs, + a 10" Beard.  Bobbing Hen Decoy was out. Used a " Flydown Fla

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Probably  a a few Hundred Hunters at least as well..

Yea. You’re right. Probably wouldn’t set up on that field on the last day of the season. I wonder how many hunters walk that field on the first two weekends alone....

1 minute ago, Bodhi_308 said:

Yea. You’re right. Probably wouldn’t set up on that field on the last day of the season. I wonder how many hunters walk that field on the first two weekends alone....

Great spot as you know- 1st day + last. 

27 minutes ago, Bodhi_308 said:

Great, not so sure. Pressured, yes. 

I want to do more Spring Hunting in Sterling Forest next year. I know it like the back of my hand. 

Congrats to all the succesful and everyone else who stuck it out through the season.This was the first season I had to sit it out in a long time.Looking forward to next year when i'll have more time to hunt the birds of spring.

• Like 1

My first turkey season is over and it was a success, not because I got a bird (I didn’t ) but because I learned a whole bunch and had fun doing it. Cynthia is was a pleasure meeting you, blackbeltbill thank you for the hip pocket class. This season, I learned how to hunt from the bare ground and a blind. I learned how to cut, purr and Yelp with a pot call( which I need to practice). Thank you guys for the knowledge and I enjoyed reading the posts. Maybe we can get together and do some pheasant hunting in the fall. For all the vets thank you for your service and for the fallen you are not forgotten. Have a great summer everyone see you in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Threw in the towel about 10:00 AM  ....This was my 49th  NY gobbler season  and I never took my safety off...

I had  several  chances to shoot  the same three jakes and passed...I named them Keith, Larry, and Dumbhead after three of my buddies at the Legion... Lots of hens seen in early and mid season ( 9 in one day)  so I hope they are busy incubating little turkeys for next year...I only missed being in the woods before daylight 6 times this season... Time to go fishing....

• Like 12
On 5/30/2021 at 5:24 PM, cynthiafu said:

I didnt get out  my daughter and grandsons are here from Iowa  . Spent time with them before they go to their dads and my daughter go's home . Which is where I am now at Mahoneys steak house  just put my daughter on the train back to Iowa 

a train to iowa... sounds like a line in an old country song :)

• Haha 1
On 5/3/2021 at 6:17 AM, mpavlus said:

Had a very interesting morning. Snuck into woods early. Looked around and said. That doesn't look like a turkey. Yup, it's a bear. 5 seconds later this bear ran straight at me. I can't post the video but these screens shots show how close he came before I stood up and scared him away. The morning hunt went well too.

Screenshot_20210502-054511_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-080734_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-060805_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-060818_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-054612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-151403_Gallery.jpg

20210502_101042.jpg

Hunted one more time this final weekend. Back to the bear spot. Birds were there but not interested. Had a nice walk in the green woods before the rain started. Was a good season. Now time to fish. See ya all next season. 

20210530_071316.jpg

20210530_071414.jpg

20210530_071603.jpg

20210530_072001_02.jpg

• Like 2

So yesterday ,I Biked in and set out a Cheap Feather Flex Decoy in a Huge Field.

Around 7am- a Hen came in the Field and stood next to my Decoy for about 10 minutes. She moved off and,I  called her back with low Clucks on my Slate over Glass. She answered in kind- low Clucks.

She moved off but stayed in that Field for 1 Hour. No Gobbler appeared- but 2 Young Turkey Hunters did later on.

Pulled the Decoy and left after someone tripped over the old slippery Log Blind 50 yards down the like from me. That is where the sound came from. 

So- why was,I  in that Pressured  Field on the last Day. A lesson that David Hale wrote in Ultimate  Turkey Hunting. He wrote- he would always hunt those very Pressured  areas when a few weeks of heavy pressure  were off.

And,I  did see 2 Monster Gobblers there 3 days ago that easily survived the Pressure  and the Fake Super Raspy Diaphragms  that,I  heard yesterday  too.

One Gobbler was dragging a 12" Beard at least! I al.ost got him in the rain.

Next Spring, I  have some super areas in Sterling Forest that,I  will be Hiking all Summer. Much Tougher Terrain as well.

Up to 122 Turkeys now. Old Bill is still motivated. A Fall Gobbler would be nice. That's next as well as Stewart Pheasant Hunting.

Pheasant Hunting-- cant wait and Plenty of long walks for ABBEY to get her ready.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:49 PM, KBUsmc0311 said:

My first turkey season is over and it was a success, not because I got a bird (I didn’t ) but because I learned a whole bunch and had fun doing it. Cynthia is was a pleasure meeting you, blackbeltbill thank you for the hip pocket class. This season, I learned how to hunt from the bare ground and a blind. I learned how to cut, purr and Yelp with a pot call( which I need to practice). Thank you guys for the knowledge and I enjoyed reading the posts. Maybe we can get together and do some pheasant hunting in the fall. For all the vets thank you for your service and for the fallen you are not forgotten. Have a great summer everyone see you in the fall.

Look forward to a get together with this group in the summer  so stay tuned .  I can't wait for the next season . Still need some bow time but I will get there .  Have a good  summer all.  

• Like 2
23 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

So yesterday ,I Biked in and set out a Cheap Feather Flex Decoy in a Huge Field.

Around 7am- a Hen came in the Field and stood next to my Decoy for about 10 minutes. She moved off and,I  called her back with low Clucks on my Slate over Glass. She answered in kind- low Clucks.

She moved off but stayed in that Field for 1 Hour. No Gobbler appeared- but 2 Young Turkey Hunters did later on.

Pulled the Decoy and left after someone tripped over the old slippery Log Blind 50 yards down the like from me. That is where the sound came from. 

So- why was,I  in that Pressured  Field on the last Day. A lesson that David Hale wrote in Ultimate  Turkey Hunting. He wrote- he would always hunt those very Pressured  areas when a few weeks of heavy pressure  were off.

And,I  did see 2 Monster Gobblers there 3 days ago that easily survived the Pressure  and the Fake Super Raspy Diaphragms  that,I  heard yesterday  too.

One Gobbler was dragging a 12" Beard at least! I al.ost got him in the rain.

Next Spring, I  have some super areas in Sterling Forest that,I  will be Hiking all Summer. Much Tougher Terrain as well.

Up to 122 Turkeys now. Old Bill is still motivated. A Fall Gobbler would be nice. That's next as well as Stewart Pheasant Hunting.

Pheasant Hunting-- cant wait and Plenty of long walks for ABBEY to get her ready.

That field has extremely heavy foot traffic. It’s a popular thoroughfare to a certain water feature. But to each their own. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bodhi_308 said:

That field has extremely heavy foot traffic. It’s a popular thoroughfare to a certain water feature. But to each their own. 

Indeed we have crossed paths at Stewart before.. As well as a few more new Forum members as well. 

That said I have 3 other areas to hunt as well. Been Hiking + Hunting  22,000 acre Sterling Forest since 1990. Know every mountaintop + Swamp.

That said, I could be at Stewart at any time or place on the map. Pheasant Hunting is next at Stewart and you are right that Field is popular  with Pheasant Hunters as well.

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Indeed we have crossed paths at Stewart before.. As well as a few more new Forum members as well. 

That said I have 3 other areas to hunt as well. Been Hiking + Hunting  22,000 acre Sterling Forest since 1990. Know every mountaintop + Swamp.

That said, I could be at Stewart at any time or place on the map. Pheasant Hunting is next at Stewart and you are right that Field is popular  with Pheasant Hunters as well.

Yea it is. Pheasant hunters are a pain in the ass usually taking the spots I’d like to deer hunt but there’s plenty of other options so it’s not the end of the world. 

16 minutes ago, Bodhi_308 said:

Yea it is. Pheasant hunters are a pain in the ass usually taking the spots I’d like to deer hunt but there’s plenty of other options so it’s not the end of the world. 

I knew that problem  would arise at Stewart when the early Deer Archery Season In the Southren Zone was moved back from October  20th or so to October 1st when Pheasant Season also opens. 

That was back in 2015 . At the same time the Fall Turkey Season  was moved back near by 3 weeks to about October  20th from October  1st- again- in 2015.

Basically a Switch took place.

Archery Deer Hunters + Pheasant Hunters want the same parking spots now.

47 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I knew that problem  would arise at Stewart when the early Deer Archery Season In the Southren Zone was moved back from October  20th or so to October 1st when Pheasant Season also opens. 

That was back in 2015 . At the same time the Fall Turkey Season  was moved back near by 3 weeks to about October  20th from October  1st- again- in 2015.

I am so glad that I hunt in an  area where I don't have to compete for parking spots....

The second day of spring season this year I drove around a nearby 900 acre  plot of state game land...There was one truck parked there ( with PA plates)....It is prime turkey woods, also..

Must be most guys are are not interested in hunting these poor, stupid, naaive  private land and lightly hunted  public land gobblers...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I am so glad that I hunt in an  area where I don't have to compete for parking spots....

The second day of spring season this year I drove around a nearby 900 acre  plot of state game land...There was one truck parked there ( with PA plates)....It is prime turkey woods, also..

Must be most guys are are not interested in hunting these poor, stupid, naaive  private land and lightly hunted  public land gobblers...

HA- Good to hear from you Dan.

You are lucky it's outside of Blackbeltbills management zone -because he sure would definitely make it more popular

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Didn’t know it was an early season. I rather refer to it as archery season. Not sure where you’re getting that from. 

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

It’s not too big of a deal if you are a decent enough woodsman or know what you’re doing. Just gotta make the best of it. 

• Like 1
It’s not too big of a deal if you are a decent enough woodsman or know what you’re doing. Just gotta make the best of it. 

Oh hell yea, gotta love the challenge of pressured game -especially getting that elusive fall turkey in that short 2 week season and after they been chased for 3 weeks by pheasant shooters and their best friends
Personally feel that fall turkey should be left alone since population is so very low
-But some turkey desperados cant seem to get it (but it's legal so be it) most don't seem like they get any anyway -its no fun when there is a October 1st opener and Turks are acting like dumb or dumber