Dandelion Season

GreenDrake

If I am really lucky I will find a field with wild mustArd greens. They look like little broccoli florets. There is a weed that looks just like them but have rough rather than smooth leaves.  Pick just the floret. Sautéed they are phenomenal. If there is even a hint of yellow starting to show in the head don’t eat them.  They go from sweet to BITTER immediately 
Rapini! The cultivated version is called broccoli raab, at Wegmans. Those are good too and likely what all those old Italians on the roadside were picking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Otto said:

Rapini! The cultivated version is called broccoli raab, at Wegmans. Those are good too and likely what all those old Italians on the roadside were picking.

Rapini is wild Broccoli. Usually pick those in the fall. Mustard looks the same, usually referred to as "Luccia", but is very similar. Store versions are nowhere near as sweet or tender.

I had my dandelion salad tonight. No chunk of parmesan, so i settled for grated. It was as tasty as i remember as a kid.
I picked enough for another salad, but may pick more so i can try it sauteed. c92980ceb9144415c5c2ba23da823ca6.jpg

• Like 2

I didn't get to saute dandelion greens. My cousin started some in our greenhouse so I might try it when those are ready. But thankfully, last week ramps were perfect. A olive oil, salt and pepper dressing and some time on the grill. Truly my faviorite wild forage!

551007c3e9d464778c39acbc3c7c51c0.jpg03334553205991e1524b4a8175786c88.jpgf6424335f341a80cb3e725241869cbf7.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a topic I do not understand, mostly because of the conflicting information. Some people/websites say eat them before they flower (as in this thread). Others say after they bloom. 

Last year I steamed a whole bunch of their leafs (with some other vegetables), all picked from plants with full bloomed flowers, they were not bitter. This spring I picked some, all pre-flower and they were terribly bitter to to point of being uneatable.  

I'm starting to wonder what is fact and what is people's incorrect ideas. (I have no good answers) 

I’ve never tried them after they flower.  We have always picked them well before flowering.  That time has long passed by now in my area. 

The flowers can be picked to make wine.  I’ve tasted it before, pretty good.  But I’ve never made it.