Myrtle Beach (South of) Looking for things to do, places to see, food to eat, drinks to drink...

Otto

We will be staying on Surfside Beach which is a little south of Myrtle Beach for a week in mid-May.  We have been to MB before, not really our cup of tea.  But someone gifted us a week at this resort and we could use a vacation.  (Not too happy it is in the middle of turkey season, but oh well). 

Shoot me some advise or tips on places to go, things to do, restaurants, bars, etc.  Also, I am hoping to do some near shore fishing in that area, there are several guides close by, but this forums advice and experience is always spot on.  

Bonus, if you can tell me of some LGS that may have any trap load 12 gauge, either down there or on the way!

We're going to MB in June. Growing up in an east coast beach city, most of them are the same up and down the coast until you get into GA/FL. I get what you are saying about the crowd.

I have been told Aspen Grille is a popular/respected restaurant.

One seafood based-place is Captain George's - technically it is a chain with four locations, but it's family run and they have one there, VB, KDH, and Williamsburg, VA. They family is from Virginia Beach and the original location was out in the middle of nowhere in the backwaters of the intercoastal - and it'd be packed every evening with cars and boaters. I suspect the MB one is just as good if you like seafood.

And if you're taking 95 down, there are a few BPS and Cabelas on the way. That said when you start getting down into VA/NC there are local, regional stores with massive inventories (current state aside). You'll likely see advertisements on billboards for them. Dunham's is a Dick's-like store that should have some stuff. I believe there is a BPS around Richmond that is usually pretty good, too. The one in MB is a bit north of you and the hustle/bustle of MB proper.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

We've been to MB several times. My in-laws have a condo in North Myrtle Beach. We are not into the touristy stuff. Mostly just play golf and go to the beach when we are down there. We like eating at the Flying Fish at Barefoot Landing in NMB. Barefoot Landing has a bunch of other restaurants and shops. Alligator Adventure is pretty neat for a half day activity. We have been to Hampton Plantation (south of Myrtle Beach) which is a state run historical site and was pretty cool. I always pick up a couple pairs of sneakers at the New Balance store at the Tanger Outlets. Of course, if you golf, there are hundreds of courses. Oh, and if you are driving, you have to bring back some fireworks.

Edited by MPHunter
  • Like 1

My sister had a condo there for 40 years or so, they just rent it out , and go down a little bit to play golf, which I guess is good down there. They go end of Aug when water is warm and kids there are in school .

I recall going to the store ,where they’d give you junk chicken pieces ,and we’d put them on a hook and line ( no pole ) and walk across the road ( condo was on the ocean ) and throw the baited hook in those channels over there , some sort of crab would grab ahold and you’d pull them up ,take them home and cook them up .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nomad said:

My sister had a condo there for 40 years or so, they just rent it out , and go down a little bit to play golf, which I guess is good down there. They go end of Aug when water is warm and kids there are in school .

I recall going to the store ,where they’d give you junk chicken pieces ,and we’d put them on a hook and line ( no pole ) and walk across the road ( condo was on the ocean ) and throw the baited hook in those channels over there , some sort of crab would grab ahold and you’d pull them up ,take them home and cook them up .

Assuming blue crab. Quite popular. 

It is popular in VB, too. Did that as a youth alot and would make $$$ selling them backchannel to the restaurants. We had a neighborhood where my then girlfriend lived, very wealthy place with a dock on a backwater channel. Nobody fished it. we used to crush them crab. Ended up catching a shark there on a crab line. Because of the murky water color, I didn't see it until it was about 6 inches from my hand and I will never forget that moment in life. Total crap my pants. Ended up being a 3.5 foot Sandbar shark. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

By each

It's a quick drive south  umbrella inlet check out marsh walk ,Huntington state park good fishing off the hefty ,Brookhaven garden  a good day trip is Charleston it's about an hour and a half south of Georgetown that about half hour from surfside there are party boats or rental boats,and music rentals from marsh walk or public fishing from several piers in the area the heart of myrtle beach  is hectic either North of south ends are totally different

• Like 1