What’s the best place to sell a used truck ?

luberhill

I’m thinking of selling my truck , mainly because I don’t use it. I bought it brand new in 2019.

Its a F150 Ruby red King Ranch. It only has 2000 miles on it . It’s loaded , chrome pkg, parks itself , tow package, heated and cooled seats , massaging seats , power running boards , power folding mirrors ..tons of other stuff.

Ford soft tonnue cover , Ford mud flaps , Ford bed mar, Ford wheel well liners ...

It’s never even been rained on . I keep it in my pole barn covered. The sticker was over 67k

I’ve been told take it to a car dealer and they will buy it , but probably not pay near what it’s worth .

Do these places like CArvana etc pay fair value and are they legit to deal with ?

My daughter took her Toyota Corolla to Carmax, they gave her $1500 more than Toyota dealer would give her on a trade in. They gave her a check on the spot. I'm sure you can try seeing if the dealer where you bought it will buy it but check Carmax b4 you give it away. jmho

3 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I’m thinking of selling my truck , mainly because I don’t use it. I bought it brand new in 2019.

Its a F150 Ruby red King Ranch. It only has 2000 miles on it . It’s loaded , chrome pkg, parks itself , tow package, heated and cooled seats , massaging seats , power running boards , power folding mirrors ..tons of other stuff.

Ford soft tonnue cover , Ford mud flaps , Ford bed mar, Ford wheel well liners ...

It’s never even been rained on . I keep it in my pole barn covered. The sticker was over 67k

I’ve been told take it to a car dealer and they will buy it , but probably not pay near what it’s worth .

Do these places like CArvana etc pay fair value and are they legit to deal with ?

Definitely a sellers market right now. Normally a dealer isn't going to pay much. You would be lucky to get trade in value. It wouldn't surprise me if they are willing to pay a higher price at the moment. Trucks are hard to come by. Trucks at dealers are sparse.

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

Definitely a sellers market right now. Normally a dealer isn't going to pay much. You would be lucky to get trade in value. It wouldn't surprise me if they are willing to pay a higher price at the moment. Trucks are hard to come by. Trucks at dealers are sparse.

ESP with the f150 specifically as the chipset shortage is impacting that model.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I checked CArvana, they offered 45,200

The truck sticker was 67k

At two years old I think youre in a tough spot, private sale is your best option and with warranty it should be too difficult to find a buyer. I know when I sold a red F-150 years ago I had firemen beating down my door for it

• Like 3

I agree with the others. If you want what it's worth you will have to sell it privately. Carmax, Carvana etc.....They want it at a price they can make money......Trucks are a hot item right now. Throw it on Craigslist and Facebook market place...

• Like 1

I agree with the other..  Private sale is your best bet..

Part of the issue (and I have been in this situation in the past myself) is that despite the very low mileage, you have the look at the remaining term on the warranty.   It is over after 36 months no matter what the mileage is.

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

I agree with the others. If you want what it's worth you will have to sell it privately. Carmax, Carvana etc.....They want it at a price they can make money......Trucks are a hot item right now. Throw it on Craigslist and Facebook market place...

Thx

I checked CArvana, they offered 45,200
The truck sticker was 67k

I think that offer sounds pretty reasonable. I buy a new truck every 2 years and this is the math I always use to figure out trade my trade in values. If sticker was 67,000 you should have pod around 60,000 before taxes. The second you drive it off the lot that truck lost 15-20% if we call that 9,000 of what you paid we’re down to 51,000 new trucks depreciate 5% a year for the first 5 years it’s 2 yrs old so that’s 5,000 that puts my math at 46,000$. Markets fluctuate and demand is high so the dealers will ask 52000, take the first 50,000 offer.

You’re in a tough spot, low mileage doesn’t add significantly to value. You’re a couple months from it being 3 yrs old and you had a remodel happen, you’re truck is now the old style.

You might be able to make a little more selling it outright in a private sale but there’s not many people who shop for 50,000$ trucks on Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I agree with the other..  Private sale is your best bet..

Part of the issue (and I have been in this situation in the past myself) is that despite the very low mileage, you have the look at the remaining term on the warranty.   It is over after 36 months no matter what the mileage is.

Well the bumper to bumper is over in another year ... but the power train is good for another 3 yrs

5 hours ago, left field said:

It's a strange new world.

Ha , my father in law was a farmer . He drove two wheel drive pickups ,with a bench seats , rubber floors , that I’m not sure he ever washed . If he wanted comfort he drove the Caddy .