What’s the best place to sell a used truck ?

luberhill

On 4/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I think that offer sounds pretty reasonable. I buy a new truck every 2 years and this is the math I always use to figure out trade my trade in values. If sticker was 67,000 you should have pod around 60,000 before taxes. The second you drive it off the lot that truck lost 15-20% if we call that 9,000 of what you paid we’re down to 51,000 new trucks depreciate 5% a year for the first 5 years it’s 2 yrs old so that’s 5,000 that puts my math at 46,000$. Markets fluctuate and demand is high so the dealers will ask 52000, take the first 50,000 offer.

You’re in a tough spot, low mileage doesn’t add significantly to value. You’re a couple months from it being 3 yrs old and you had a remodel happen, you’re truck is now the old style.

You might be able to make a little more selling it outright in a private sale but there’s not many people who shop for 50,000$ trucks on Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do you trade in every two years ? What’s a new truck cost every two years after trading in ?

So do you trade in every two years ? What’s a new truck cost every two years after trading in ?

I buy leftovers so I don’t take the big hit up front and trade it.

My last truck cost me 4,100$ to own for 25 months and 34,000 miles. It usually works out to 170$ a month to own a new truck.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My last truck cost me 4,100$ to own for 25 months and 34,000 miles. It usually works out to 170$ a month to own a new truck.

Dang, can't beat that....!

19 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My neighbor trades every year for 8k

36 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Your neighbor ieither has less brains or money than me.

Yea I thought that sounded high , he buys hi end GMC trucks and when he trades them they are spotless !

He washed and waxes his trucks all the time .. all floors and seats are covered .. 

they are like brand new ..miles around 20k

seems like he should be trading for 4 k

34 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My truck I bought in September sticker price was 54,000$ I payed 38,000 out the door, before trade. Carvana trade in offer today was 37,200$

My King Ranch is a 2018 , sticker was 66,500

I paid 53 in 2019...

carvana was 46,500

Yea I thought that sounded high , he buys hi end GMC trucks and when he trades them they are spotless !
He washed and waxes his trucks all the time .. all floors and seats are covered .. 
they are like brand new ..miles around 20k
seems like he should be trading for 4 k

Your trade has very little to do with condition, within reason. If your trading every year or couple years the price you pay has way more to do with cost of ownership.

My last truck I never washed the exterior or cleaned the interior once in the 2 years I owned it. They tried taking 100$ of the trade value for a cleaning fee, I got it back.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Your trade has very little to do with condition, within reason. If your trading every year or couple years the price you pay has way more to do with cost of ownership.

My last truck I never washed the exterior or cleaned the interior once in the 2 years I owned it. They tried taking 100$ of the trade value for a cleaning fee, I got it back.

All they ever care about is the tires lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luberhill said:

Yea I thought that sounded high , he buys hi end GMC trucks

GMC is just a Chevy with all the bolts tightened down .

Prior to buying our 2018 Outback , from ‘77 to 2018 I paid about 60k for every car I bought in that period .

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

GMC is just a Chevy with all the bolts tightened down .

Prior to buying our 2018 Outback , from ‘77 to 2018 I paid about 60k for every car I bought in that period .

Your accounting department at home must be impeccable.   Lol

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nomad said:

60k for that period . In ‘77 I bought a Pontiac Custom S Tempest for $650 . Pretty fast ,went trough flywheels like potatoe chips though .

In 1977, I was hanging out with a group of guys who all had muscle cars. (I was too poor.) Man those days of cruising around all night then meeting up in a drive-in restaurant parking lot to bullshit the night away.

It was Dazed and Confused.

• Like 2

In 1977, I was hanging out with a group of guys who all had muscle cars. (I was too poor.) Man those days of cruising around all night then meeting up in a drive-in restaurant parking lot to bullshit the night away.
It was Dazed and Confused.

Alright alright alright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I need to know how you keep getting 60k+ trucks for 170 a month on average let's call it $200 a month. You must be the world's greatest negotiator and I would like a lesson

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I need to know how you keep getting 60k+ trucks for 170 a month on average let's call it $200 a month. You must be the world's greatest negotiator and I would like a lesson

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Yea I think he made a mistake :)

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Shop around, don’t have a set truck/color/options etc.

Pay cash and be willing to travel.

You have to find a dealer who’s been sitting on the same truck for too long on a day when they need a sale. You have to be willing to say no and not fall in love with a particular truck.

My truck I have now took me over a month to buy, sent pictures of my trade, what I wanted for it and my offer for the truck in an email. The dealer had the truck on their lot for over 200 days so I figured they’d be willing to make a deal. After over a month and probably 20 back and forth emails they accepted my original offer. I never stepped foot in the dealer ship they delivered the truck and picked up my trade the same day.

• Like 1

Shop around, don’t have a set truck/color/options etc.

Pay cash and be willing to travel.

You have to find a dealer who’s been sitting on the same truck for too long on a day when they need a sale. You have to be willing to say no and not fall in love with a particular truck.

My truck I have now took me over a month to buy, sent pictures of my trade, what I wanted for it and my offer for the truck in an email. The dealer had the truck on their lot for over 200 days so I figured they’d be willing to make a deal. After over a month and probably 20 back and forth emails they accepted my original offer. I never stepped foot in the dealer ship they delivered the truck and picked up my trade the same day.

So a huge down payment in the form of a trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A good negotiator can find great deals .I bought my 20 tundra in 19 ,negotiated 9k off the price using end of the year 19 prices ,and got upgrades installed for free .I have 12 k miles on it and it’s going for well over what I paid for it almost 2 years ago .

1936D0D9-BA92-49DF-AC45-1EAC93534B27.jpeg

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1