Sub Freezing Temps & Snow=Mast Production/Fruit Trees

Lawdwaz

We were  pulling fence and fence post last weekend on the pasture .  Notice a lot of the trees are starting to show growth beginning to pop. But I also did notice some tIckes .  It would be nice to see the frost do something about the ticks , at this point the buds are so active I think it would do more hurt to the fruit and flower plants. I guess we’ll see what happens 

Four or five years ago, our area of 4H was hit with a late spring cold snap, and some snow. That fall local apples were down by at least half. Both wild and farm grown. Also, acorns were very scarce that year as well. But it actually made hunting "easier"? As the deer had fewer options, and keyed on the trees that did produce. Once you found the area where those trees were, there was more deer than normal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitetailhobo said:

We were  pulling fence and fence post last weekend on the pasture .  Notice a lot of the trees are starting to show growth beginning to pop. But I also did notice some tIckes .  It would be nice to see the frost do something about the ticks , at this point the buds are so active I think it would do more hurt to the fruit and flower plants. I guess we’ll see what happens 

Likely won’t have much effect of the tick population.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 8:59 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

How about turkeys that have already started nests? Startover?

They will be fine as they are not sitting on them " incubating"yet as long as they dont freeze chilled is ok ground is pretty warm so need below freezing for hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

I planted a few apple trees, and several blackberry, raspberry and blueberry bushes in the past week. Hope they'll be alright... 

If possible, throw a tarp or some plastic sheeting over them for a couple days till the weather warms again. The trees themselves will be fine. Not going to get that cold. But any potential fruit may be nixed this year, if the trees are starting to blossom?

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1