Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag "NWTF" model

Water Rat

Yes This will knock them over for sure.  No need to change the choke that comes with this.  I have a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 scope on top of mine and leave it at 1.5, a great combo.  With the 3.5 inch #4 Winchester Supremes, just be careful  no birds are10 to 20 yards behind the one you are shooting at, or they will be on the ground as well.

• Like 2

My 835 must be 30 years old now.  Got it when they first came out.  It has a camo paint job that is real primitive too.  More turkey and geese have fallen to that gun than I can count.  Adding weight to the hollow fiber butt stock really cut down on the kick.  Of course I always use a sling. 

Everyone was buying 10 gauge Browning BPS pumps when they first came out and I tried to tell them the 3.5 inch twelve gauge was a better option.  You can use any non-slug twelve gauge shell in it, from low brass target loads to 3.5 inch 00 Buck, and it will always shoot perfectly.  (No slugs though in the back bored barrels, but slug barrels are available)  Plus the gun, extra barrels and ammo all cost less.  Most of those 10 gauge pumps are never used anymore, but the 835 still in the field many days every year.  It's one of the most versatile firearms I own.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

My 835 must be 30 years old now.  Got it when they first came out.  It has a camo paint job that is real primitive too.  More turkey and geese have fallen to that gun than I can count.  Adding weight to the hollow fiber butt stock really cut down on the kick.  Of course I always use a sling. 

Everyone was buying 10 gauge Browning BPS pumps when they first came out and I tried to tell them the 3.5 inch twelve gauge was a better option.  You can use any non-slug twelve gauge shell in it, from low brass target loads to 3.5 inch 00 Buck, and it will always shoot perfectly.  (No slugs though in the back bored barrels, but slug barrels are available)  Plus the gun, extra barrels and ammo all cost less.  Most of those 10 gauge pumps are never used anymore, but the 835 still in the field many days every year.  It's one of the most versatile firearms I own.

I bought a slug barrel for mine it was so in accurate i wound up dumping the barrel.I have 1 3.5" shell left from the day i bought the gun 25-30 years ago.I put the 3.5" shell in for the first shot then the 3" shells behind for a follow up if needed.After that last shell is gone i'm sticking with the 3" shells.Great gun for sure!!!!

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

My 835 must be 30 years old now.  Got it when they first came out.  It has a camo paint job that is real primitive too.  More turkey and geese have fallen to that gun than I can count. 

Got the same - camo paint has chipped and scratched, but oh well it's not a show piece.   I've pulled a lot of mud and junk out of it over the years, and it's never failed to function.  Only used 3" shells.

• Like 2

My original Mossberg 835 Ultimate-Mag had the Woodland camo design on it. Like others have said , the paint began to fade away after nearly 30 years of use. I sent it out to be “camo dipped “ and it came out great. Last year I found another original one on GunBroker and purchased it as a backup.

1F54AEEF-3E81-4CCB-8614-0FFFDCFBFB6F.png

BB9FD78E-1E31-4A03-820D-AAD8C784A7DA.png

• Like 2

I bought a used one 15 years ago and love it . Easy to handle, easy to carry. I shoot 3.5" #4 Winchester XR's. Mows them down. Noticeably lighter Thamn my semi auto. 
Screenshot_20210421-095234_Photos.thumb.jpg.8a8f0bf437da04faddfcdc219227e5b2.jpg

Yep my 835 and 535 shoot Winchester xr #4 awesome even thru the factory choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also own the 835 util-mag. But not the nwtf model. Mine came with the turkey and the bird barrels. Only change outside of optics that I recommend is the limbsaver but pad. With 3.5" shells this thing kicks like a mule and you'll appreciate the bored out chamber and that extra padding.