Small stream fly outfitt

rachunter

I'm looking to pick up a fly outfit for fishing the small streams up in the ADK.My current set up is a 5wt. 8'6" 2pc. I'd like to get something more packable and a lighter wt. class. From the videos and reading i've done a smaller rod seems the wat to go.Even though i have no real experience fly fish having only caught a few sunny i'm ready to add this advantage to my list.

I wanted to get this set up but it always out of stock ll bean 

Any suggestions would be appreciated,I'd like to keep it around the $300-400 mark

I will start out  by saying I have alot of fly rods . Varying in line weight  and length. No rod does it all . Small streams ... 1 to 3 weight would be my guess. Brush lined streams  belive it or not a longer rod is your friend ... if its really  thick you will dap more than cast... more little flips and roll casts. I would say 7 to 8 foot rod .  Longer rods work as well in bigger water. Are you looking for dry flies smaller fish brookies browns in the 12 inch or less  one weight to three weight . Bigger fish ... bigger flies bigger water 3 weight to 5 weight. Big flies  windy days 5 weight . Thats a pretty simplified answer. Not taking in your style of casting or preference in action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking a shorter 3wt myself for the small ADK streams that are often choked with alders and around beaver dams.

I've been "shopping" for a while and hope to find a 3wt in the 6' range and haven't found what I want as of yet. The trout streams I would use this rig in are only 8' wide at most and casting would be tough in the traditional sense.

Now you've fueled my shopping fever and the streams will be warming soon....

Keep me posted on your selection.... 

• Like 1

A long rod for small streams is bang on. But I also have a 6' to 7' 2 and 3 wts for fun.

Rac, what do you mean by outfit? Rod, reel and line only? Do you have a preference in rod action - fast, med, slow? 

There are a lot of options in your price range. I would probably cross shop a few brands. 

Rac if your relatively  new fly fisherman ..  a faster action rod will mask alot of newbie mistakes .  If you find yourself where  your fishing smaller brush choked streams and your casts are to short for a decent amount  of line out to load the rod  just step up a line size or two . This will help load the rod . I also recommend picking up a spare spool for the reel you choose so you can set up extra lines for different rods or situations .

• Like 1

I am not much of a fly rod fisherman, I'm still learning. But I have an Orvis 5wt, 8 and a 1/2ft 4 piece rod, that is so easy to cast, mend, and flip on small streams. And so easy to carry when broken down into it's case. We were at Orvis in Manchester Vt. and the pro there told me that this set up will be perfect for the small to medium streams I fish. And that it will be a great set up to learn on. He was spot on. Those guys out there are world class.

• Like 2

Just now, grampy said:

I am not much of a fly rod fisherman, I'm still learning. But I have an Orvis 5wt, 8 and a 1/2ft 4 piece rod, that is so easy to cast, mend, and flip on small streams. And so easy to carry when broken down into it's case. We were at Orvis in Manchester Vt. and the pro there told me that this set up will be perfect for the small to medium streams I fish. And that it will be a great set up to learn on. He was spot on. Those guys out there are world class.

That's the Remington 870 of the fly fishing world, AMERICAS ROD!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, left field said:

Rac, what do you mean by outfit? Rod, reel and line only?  

Yes it seems to me anyway that the combo's are the way to go.That's why i was looking at the double L outfit

Double L Fly Rod Outfits, 3-4 wt. (llbean.com).My current set-up is a two piece i want a small set-up to hook to my backpack on the way in most of the streams/creeks are small with brook trout.

Pretty spot.

So, that's pretty open and a perfect place for a longer rod that you can just water load downstream and flip up. I would go 7'6" to 8'6" rod in a 3 or 4 wt.

There are so many options. I like my Redington Classic Trouts - always on sale somewhere and good medium action paired with a DT line like Cortland's 444 Peach.

The reel is less important. Orvis Battenkill is pretty sweet and classic.

• Thanks 1

Just picked up a 7'6" 4wt. cabela's stowaway it's a 5pc. super light and i got it on the cheap from Craigslist.Now to order a reel and line.I can't believe how expensive the line is WOW!!!! I always bought the complete set-up[rod,reel&line] It seems Cabela's is out of stock everytime i need something.No wonder i have a ton of cabela bucks.