Curious... Spraying Winter Wheat

2 weeks ago, the farmer next to me sprayed his winter wheat field. I was wondering if it was gly and he was killing the wheat, preparing to plant corn or soybeans in the next month or why exactly he would be spraying it? If it was gly, the wheat is still growing and as green and lush as it was 2 weeks ago? Any insight into spraying wheat?

For about 2 weeks prior to him spraying, I was getting trailcam pics of several turkeys in the wheat daily. Since the farmer sprayed the field, I've only gotten pics of a single hen. Wondering of whatever he sprayed has any bearing on the lack of turkeys out there now?

My best guess is they sprayed a liquid lime or fertilizer.  No need to terminate winter wheat unless it has gotten a couple feet tall.

Winter wheat was probably the best available food source at the time and then other options like clover appeared.  I have seen that here over the past month.  Early on they were on winter wheat/rye etc because it grows first and is most attractive and nutritious when it is real small.  Now the turkeys are all over in different hay fields.  I didn't see any in the fields when we got 2" of snow yesterday, but they were back out today once it began to melt off.  

I could be totally wrong, but those would be my bets based on my farming experience etc.

• Like 1

Alot of times its liquid fertilizer. But some ground around me was sprayed with gly/ or something as they are dying now.. every farmer does things a little different. And i have yet ot have answers for some of it lol/.. 

I also believe i seen a no till planted corn field yesterday. 

As for the turkeys its probably more due to there being more green growing available grasses and forbs.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wheat is a grass and broad leaf weed killer will not bother the wheat just the broad leafs.  Couple of years ago I did NOT use a weed killer on the field and it was so choked with weeds that the entire field was a loss.  If you spray 2-4D or something like that the field will still be green but with the plants you want making harvest easy.

• Like 1