A Mathews upgrade

Otto

I am grateful that left handedness runs in my family! My cousin is giving me a great deal on his 5 year old Mathews Halon 6, all decked out with HHA single pin adjustable sight. It's set around 65 lbs right now with a 29.5" draw length. I plan to have that dialed down into the 50s somewhere. I need to get a quiver for it too.

I'll start shooting this over the summer and probably use it this fall. I plan to keep my Denalin for backup.

81ac4ec174af955a51a654ee732c2996.jpg

eaa83b4fbd4b443d359acd1a4afc9a66.jpg

77f7b613cd61fd1e734be6932b7ce0f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 17

My daughter is a true lefty and in the shooting world it’s a curse and a blessing at the same time. Curse because it’s hard to come by used guns/bows but a blessing because a lot of time they are cheap because they are hard to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

They're a lot of fun, shooting out to 80-90+ yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just really like that style of sight with the one pin and scope type view.  I don't think I would want the adjustable sight,  just a one pin setup for 30 yards.  Shot 3D with a guy at Cassity hollow a couple times and he was great with his and I liked the open view as opposed to multiple colored pins. 

• Like 1

His friend has the same sight, but didn’t like the three fins, so he cut them out and left just the pin.  I have not shot it enough to determine if I would do that, but it is a world of difference looking through the single pin than through my three pin sight on the old bow.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I just really like that style of sight with the one pin and scope type view.  I don't think I would want the adjustable sight,  just a one pin setup for 30 yards.  Shot 3D with a guy at Cassity hollow a couple times and he was great with his and I liked the open view as opposed to multiple colored pins. 

I switched to a single pin last year and love the sight picture. I shot a great round of 3d two weeks ago with the sight set at 26 and not changing it.

And that is a nice bow @Otto,I have the halon x which is a little longer which I like for my longer arms. Good luck with it.

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 2

I am grateful that left handedness runs in my family! My cousin is giving me a great deal on his 5 year old Mathews Halon 6, all decked out with HHA single pin adjustable sight. It's set around 65 lbs right now with a 29.5" draw length. I plan to have that dialed down into the 50s somewhere. I need to get a quiver for it too.
I'll start shooting this over the summer and probably use it this fall. I plan to keep my Denalin for backup.

Stop copying me....I bought chef’s halon and love it...guess what sight I’m putting on there when life slows down enough to get it done...yup- single pin!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Youll have to mess around with yardages but IMO you dont want 30 yards. How far is your average shot at a deer? For me its under 20, and when I screw up I ten to hit high. When I hunted with a single fixed pin I set it at 24, that had the best results for holding dead on from 15-30. Beyond that Id hold high but only ever did once, shot a doe at 38 holding at the top of her back. I can still see that arrow fly! Obviously every bow is different

I could never get used to Mathews. Not sure why. But people love them and they make good bows.

I prefer a single stack vertical pin for hunting as I believe it allows for quicker target acquisition and arrow release for me. I've been using a Trophy Ridge V3 on my Synergy for a while now. I don't think the second and third pins are as accurate as shooting a traditional horizontal pin (speaking minutia here) due to the pin covering the target spot but in a hunting world, it works fine. That top pin on a single stack, which makes up 80% of my shots...whoooooo boy. She's deadly.

Enjoy that new bow! It's a fine one. You may need to new sight tape given the changes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phade said:

I could never get used to Mathews. Not sure why. But people love them and they make good bows.

Enjoy that new bow! It's a fine one. You may need to new sight tape given the changes.

For me it was always the grip, but I admittedly havent shot one in over ten years

Phade, I shot it 12 or so times before I decided to buy it and at 20 yards I was just a couple inches low and left of the bull.  I will probably try to adjust the scope a bit, but first I need to get the poundage down to my level.  I can draw it, but shooting more than 20 arrows is going to hurt.  

Tacks, I never loved the grip on my old Mathews, although I have not shot enough other brands to know better.  I looked into new grips, but they were not available for the Drenalin, they may be for the Halon, just need to research some more. 

I looked into the quiver - $170 on Mathews website!  I may rethink that.  Or not.  First things first, and that is get to shooting it. 

• Like 1

Phade, I shot it 12 or so times before I decided to buy it and at 20 yards I was just a couple inches low and left of the bull.  I will probably try to adjust the scope a bit, but first I need to get the poundage down to my level.  I can draw it, but shooting more than 20 arrows is going to hurt.  
Tacks, I never loved the grip on my old Mathews, although I have not shot enough other brands to know better.  I looked into new grips, but they were not available for the Drenalin, they may be for the Halon, just need to research some more. 
I looked into the quiver - $170 on Mathews website!  I may rethink that.  Or not.  First things first, and that is get to shooting it. 

I wonder if anyone makes custom grips for bows
[mention]The Jerkman [/mention]

Anything with a Matthew's logo cost double LOL, that's just science

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Youll have to mess around with yardages but IMO you dont want 30 yards. How far is your average shot at a deer? For me its under 20, and when I screw up I ten to hit high. When I hunted with a single fixed pin I set it at 24, that had the best results for holding dead on from 15-30. Beyond that Id hold high but only ever did once, shot a doe at 38 holding at the top of her back. I can still see that arrow fly! Obviously every bow is different

I usually have my kill zones at 25 yards and that seems to be about my average..  But have shot a few deer including last year at 37.5 yards.   But my bow shoots little difference at 20-30 so maybe 25? Then know the drop for 35? 

Aw hell my bow is a killer, I'm not touching it. Lol.  Maybe the next one. 

20 hours ago, Otto said:

Nice rig.  Is that the no doe shooting version that Biz has?  

• Like 1