Here is where our taxes go for Education

Wow.its over.that was brutal..I am an overpaid teacher who loves his job and works hard in adistrict with a salary and step freeze that was voted on with yes by 90 percent of our faculty.we didn't riot or screw kids over or really complain.society has been dealt a shit sandwich and don't worry teacher haters, we will get our bite also..I am also a home owner and tax payer and am going to to go to bed now with a wife who works for a fortune 500 company who pays her 55 grand after 15 yrs and a quality college education. cut her health benefits all together and she's working 60 hrs and gets home just in time to help tuck our 2 yr old in just so the ceos of her company can maintain there incomes.greed is everywhere.that was just brutal.my 1st day here and 1st post..looking forward to shed hunting this wknd and relaxing..I suggest we all do something if we can...it could be worse.we could all be non hunters...what kind of life would that be.

Wow.its over.that was brutal..I am an overpaid teacher who loves his job and works hard in adistrict with a salary and step freeze that was voted on with yes by 90 percent of our faculty.we didn't riot or screw kids over or really complain.society has been dealt a shit sandwich and don't worry teacher haters, we will get our bite also..I am also a home owner and tax payer and am going to to go to bed now with a wife who works for a fortune 500 company who pays her 55 grand after 15 yrs and a quality college education. cut her health benefits all together and she's working 60 hrs and gets home just in time to help tuck our 2 yr old in just so the ceos of her company can maintain there incomes.greed is everywhere.that was just brutal.my 1st day here and 1st post..looking forward to shed hunting this wknd and relaxing..I suggest we all do something if we can...it could be worse.we could all be non hunters...what kind of life would that be.

You wife should have become a teacher. The starting pay here on LI is $50K and a steep pay rate is contracted.Almost every, I MEAN EVERY teacher in my district makes over $110K a year for part-time work. Not sure what CEO's have to do with teaching Stop comparing the private sector to the public sector, it is apples and oranges. The private sector generates money, that the publicsetor then wastes.

No one is forced to buy a product from a private company that pays a CEO, but we are forced to give away our children's future savings to fund your pension.

• Like 1

Icepalnk

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the views of people in this particular forum. I have found that most people at this website are good people and care about hunting.

However, there are always going to be jealous people no matter where you go. Its been said here many times by many different people that life is what you make of it. Anybody could have followed the same path and received the same benefits that we worked hard for. It's definately easier however, to blame us for their short comings!

Woofer.I am not aguing with you.But to label us all bad teachers and scum is ridiculous .I can see how you are pissed.I would give my summers off for 2 weeks during the rut.when I started teaching 22 yrs ago for 20 grand I didnt care about pay and I am not teaching for a paycheck now.and neither do most of my colleagues..the american schools system gave us summer off and nys communities taxed people to pay our salaries and retirement...not me ! Vent away if need to but the more pissed and vindictive you get toward 'us" the less you seem to be focusing on the real source of the problem...and as far as the quality of teaching,you would be hard pressed to find teachers who want to teach to standardized tests instead of teaching students life skills and skills to compete on a global scale.that is politicians telling us what to do.raise test scores or no money....its all.f...ed up! Go off on someone who can make changes...instead of making stereotypical comments about people.I don't know what the hell is going on long island.my comments about my wifes job had nothing to do with your response to it.I shared that because I am aware of what's going on in the private sector and its my opi.nion that because of that all of us scummbag teachers will eventually have to take cuts as well.maybe not on long island but its coming..and many of us scummbags will deal with it because there are worse things then losin money,like not being able to teach anymore..

Icepalnk

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the views of people in this particular forum. I have found that most people at this website are good people and care about hunting.

However, there are always going to be jealous people no matter where you go. Its been said here many times by many different people that life is what you make of it. Anybody could have followed the same path and received the same benefits that we worked hard for. It's definately easier however, to blame us for their short comings!

You are still missing the point... this is not about jealousy.. and it has already been said that many would take the same opportunities if offered... this is about the public sector taking private sector money and doing with it what they will without the permission of the people that gave them the money... If the people provide the money and say that teachers should make 100K a year.. then so be it... but the people don't have a say... what the people have said is that they are sick and tired of paying out money to the private sector for things that they don't get for themselves... its that simple.. and not hard to understand. Well, for any rational person!

Hey Iceplank, didn't mean to attack you personally. You may be a good teacher earning a fair salary, but here on LI the salaries are out of control. We have Kindergarten teachers making $115K a year and basically every grade after that making the same.

I do have to take issue with the standardized issue. Get over it! A standardized test is just that, a stanardized test. It will be given to all students equally in the state and everyone is on teh same on the playing field. If your curriculum is so far off the norm then that is exactly what the test should show. Please save the "we teach life skills". That is NOT your job and you are NOT teaching life skills. Have you ever had to interview todays students? They are clueless idiots who know how to you use the internet for everything but how to conduct themselves on a job interview. I have been talking with numerous teachers over the past years and my comments appear far from stereotypical. Just the opposite, they all seem to quote the union newsletter they get and think they are the most important people in the world. Teaching attracted people truly interested in children and teaching when the salaries were lower. Heck why else did they take the job, it wasn't for the money. Sadly the inverse is true now. Your union has ruined it for the public and as a result will ruin it for teachers, Remember, "you reap what you sow"

I should have known better then to get on a topic that would raise my blood pressure and get involved in never ending arguments that no one is going to win..so one more bash to the dying horse of a topic...I think I stated that we SHOULD be teaching skills to the kids so they can function in the real world..but we don't because they are busy learning to take test.how does learning to take a test prepare kids to contribute to society or compete on global level.your right about the kids interview skills.where are tbey going to learn that? Don't tell me home...ask most of my kids about home...if they have a stable one at all...our future is in jepordy because no one is being taught leadership skills or working skills or even how to manage money..but they sure can fill in bubble with a number 2 pencil..dead horse!!!

I should have known better then to get on a topic that would raise my blood pressure and get involved in never ending arguments that no one is going to win..so one more bash to the dying horse of a topic...I think I stated that we SHOULD be teaching skills to the kids so they can function in the real world..but we don't because they are busy learning to take test.how does learning to take a test prepare kids to contribute to society or compete on global level.your right about the kids interview skills.where are tbey going to learn that? Don't tell me home...ask most of my kids about home...if they have a stable one at all...our future is in jepordy because no one is being taught leadership skills or working skills or even how to manage money..but they sure can fill in bubble with a number 2 pencil..dead horse!!!

What we don't see is teachers standing up against any of what you have just pointed out... they just continue to buy into what ever is handed to them... All of what you have said is true... but what are you doing about it... the rest of us taxpayers are voicing our opinions, while the teachers just go along with the status quo... you are the ones teaching kids to fill in bubbles... and not teaching kids about life skills.. how much louder do taxpayers have to scream before your precious unions and school boards pay attention... if you're so concerned, then you should be screaming just as loud, but we all know you're not... what the teachers are good at is "take the money and run" and crying about how tough their part-timee job is..

..but we don't because they are busy learning to take test.how does learning to take a test prepare kids to contribute to society or compete on global level.your right about the kids interview skills.where are tbey going to learn that?

Let's end the myth now about test taking. If the school districts are so great on LI then they should welcome the standardized tests. It would be vindication for how well they are teaching. You don't have to teach someone how to take a test. They are taking tests since 1st grade, TAKING A TEST IS NOT SOMETHING NEW!!! Stop the BS.

When I was in school the teacher would say put away your books today we are taking a special test. In shock we would ask why, we didn't study or know we had a test today. The reply was simple, "It does not count against or for your grade, just answer the questions to the best of your ability". Much to our surprise the test was actually pretty simple. As we found out later it was a standardized test and simply show our student ranking in the state.

It seems to me that the politicians have successfully deflected blame for thier spending across the board so that teachers and workers are now to blame for tax rates. Sure tax rates are way too high but it is the politicians and their unchecked spending that is to blame and not your friends and neighbors. Heck State troopers base salary is 90 + grand and I beleive they retire after 20 years regardless of age. I don't see anyone upset about that but I'm guessing that is because the politicians haven't directed rage in that direction. Don't let the smoke screen fool ya, look for the real problems and not the ones the politicians want you to see. Hell there are virtually thousands of political patronage jobs across the state all at 100 grand or more and we don't hear a single complaint about that. How come?

It seems to me that the politicians have successfully deflected blame for thier spending across the board so that teachers and workers are now to blame for tax rates. Sure tax rates are way too high but it is the politicians and their unchecked spending that is to blame and not your friends and neighbors. Heck State troopers base salary is 90 + grand and I beleive they retire after 20 years regardless of age. I don't see anyone upset about that but I'm guessing that is because the politicians haven't directed rage in that direction. Don't let the smoke screen fool ya, look for the real problems and not the ones the politicians want you to see. Hell there are virtually thousands of political patronage jobs across the state all at 100 grand or more and we don't hear a single complaint about that. How come?

Not yet...

Ther gym teacher at out our local high school makes $160,000. a year. I guess getting hit by a stray basketball warrants such high pay. Sounds much more dangerous than a State Troopers job, NOT!!!

The teachers are their own worst enemys, their greed will be their undoing.

Vote, NO, NO, NO, and drag every family member and nieghbor and co worker who isnt connected to a public union with you!!! ask the elderly in your town if they can use a ride to cast their vote! if your kids are of voting age get them down there, VOTE NO!!!!!

talk to people at your church, gun club, bridge club or anywhere there are people you can persuade! lay the facts on the line about ever increasing taxes and union greed!....Vote NO, NO, NO!!!

the pompous attitudes of the teachers on this thread is more than evident!! they simple dont give a crap about the suffering and loss tax payers in their very towns face! they couldnt care less about about elderly people on fixed incomes in our state who lose their homes they have lived in for 40 years because they cant pay their school tax bill..they simple couldnt give a crap about anyone but themselves and will continue to take, take, and take....use the power of the VOTE!!!!

in the hudson valley where i live a house that was worth 650k seven years ago cant even be unloaded for 325K today. and the yearly tax bills for houses like that are 12K. now if that aint some crappy math i dont know what is. my family is located on long island mostly nassau county, and have yearly tax bills of 15 and 17K. whens it going to stop teachers???? can you imagine we are paying more in a single month in TAXES than most states pay in a freakin YEAR!!!

i really dont know anybody in NY state that still works in the private sector, went to a new years party and out of 30 people 5 were cops, or NY state troopers, about another 5 or so were correctional guys, 2 dot workers, 4 teachers, 2 or 3 nyc firemen and a bunch of town employees???

I do, but not sure for how long :)

in the hudson valley where i live a house that was worth 650k seven years ago cant even be unloaded for 325K today. and the yearly tax bills for houses like that are 12K. now if that aint some crappy math i dont know what is. my family is located on long island mostly nassau county, and have yearly tax bills of 15 and 17K. whens it going to stop teachers???? can you imagine we are paying more in a single month in TAXES than most states pay in a freakin YEAR!!!

Ouch, I live in Nassau, I'm not paying 15k for taxes, granted mine are high, not that high though. Then again, I live in Levittown, so a majority of our taxes are subsidized by the big businesses along Hempstead tpk... Regardless, I agree, its out of control.

heres one for you, a house (one of hundreds i can show you ) that would have sold for 750k easy 5 years ago with an 8000 yrly tax bill. now this poor soul will be lucky to get 300k for it, but really who is going to buy a house for 300k with a 12k yrly tax bill.

you see the whole thing with teachers salaries is its knocked things completely out of kilter here in NY state...in another 3 years this house will have a tax bill of 15 thousand bucks no doubt....but whos gonna pay it after the owner forecloses and you have a vacant mansion sitting there?????heee, heeee, ...the system will correct itself and the teachers unions will collapse and yes all hell will break loose in NY. i cant wait for it to happen!!!

here......http://www.org.interealty.com/PropSearch/PropertyDetail.asp?Code=&ML=521461&AgentID=

Edited by sits in trees