Are shootings of civilians by cops ever justified in today’s political climate ?

I’m sure you’ve heard about one of the latest shootings that’s turned controversial -the one involving a 16 yr old African American girl in Columbus , OH. In this instance , a cop - a white guy , of course- shot the girl 4 times in the chest after making a split second decision that doing so was necessary in order to prevent her from stabbing , and perhaps , killing , another African American girl. To me, the shooting was completely justified as it was executed in order to save the life of another person; moreover , the other girl was unarmed . The  question That I keep asking myself is : if this shooting is not justified , then when EVER would one be ? Why should cops then be carrying firearms if they’re never to use them ? What do you think ? 

11 minutes ago, land 1 said:

99% percent are justified but if u dont have any common sense hate the police no matter what and try to make things about race every minute then in those peoples eyes there should be no police,,,, aka the far left and there BS views .....

Constructive input, great!

How do you know 99% are justified?

I think cops can shoot for self defense and to defend other lives in danger. I don't know that a woman threatening another woman with a knife deserves 4 bullets.  That is kind of going nuclear on a first hand weapon. 

I don't know the details and split second decisions are difficult. In reality we are both second guessing. 

• Haha 1

threatening no she was in the process of  stabbing and possibly killing another person, What if it was your daughter or wife about to get a knife plunged into her what would u want the cop to do?,,, what other options did the cop have no way he could covered that ground in time to stop the stabbing  tazers fail and at that distance unlikely to work anything over say 10feet is a reach even tho they have 21ft of wire, yell stop yeah because thats going to work.and statics show that actually 99% shootings are justified, and your right i wasnt there but i know the from the video the cop had no time to deescalate in the 13 seconds he was there, and i know that this was more then a threat she was going to stab another human being, the suspect actions is what caused the shooting, and it was justified,,, what would you have done instead of going "nuclear"

Edited by land 1
add content
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I think cops can shoot for self defense and to defend other lives in danger. I don't know that a woman threatening another woman with a knife deserves 4 bullets.  That is kind of going nuclear on a first hand weapon. 

I don't know the details and split second decisions are difficult. In reality we are both second guessing. 

cops shoot to stop she was not stopped with one or he was not sure  he hit her with the first few shots because she was still moving probably .

Edited by phantom

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

More people are injured  with knives than guns, no cry to outlaw knives..

Edited by G-Man

Maybe if the government put more effort into a public education campaign that informs people how their idiotic actions can get them justifiably killed, there wouldn't be so many morons doing moronic things where cops have to shoot them.

When police inform you that you are under arrest, that's the end of today's story.  Comply or you might die.  When did people start thinking they could tell a cop they are not under arrest after they have been informed they are?  Doing that creates a case where the cop may be in a life threatening situation, and that gives the cop the RIGHT to shoot that person. Period!

I'm sick of idiots trying to tell police how to do their job, when none of them have ever done, or could ever do, that cop's job.  You cannot have a lawful society when people do not respect the authority of the police.  I'm also sick of the media hiding half the facts of a shooting incident in order to incite hatred of the police and discord in the streets.

There are very, very few cases of unjustified police shootings.  Just because most of the justified shootings are happening to one protected class of Americans that seem to think it's OK to resist arrest, doesn't mean they aren't justified.  It's a cultural thing, and that culture needs to educate itself to respect and comply if it doesn't want people to die.

• Like 6

Fewer and fewer cops, are rushing to a call like that anymore . Frankly I was surprised how fast that cop got there  . I’m on a few first responder forums, many city cops are not in a hurry to respond  , they’re not clearing jobs to take priority one jobs when they come in , they’re not doing traffic stops or stepping out with suspicious persons ,its duck and cover time .

Departments across the county are down 100’s of positions with no end in sight . Rochester is down 60 , from 700 , the mayor has no plans to hire and would like it to drop to 500 , considering the city is currently a cross between the Wild West and Jurassic park, the next few years will be real interesting . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

Fewer and fewer cops, are rushing to a call like that anymore . Frankly I was surprised how fast that cop got there  . I’m on a few first responder forums, many city cops are not in a hurry to respond  , they’re not clearing jobs to take priority one jobs when they come in , they’re not doing traffic stops or stepping out with suspicious persons ,its duck and cover time .

Departments across the county are down 100’s of positions with no end in sight . Rochester is down 60 , from 700 , the mayor has no plans to hire and would like it to drop to 500 , considering the city is currently a cross between the Wild West and Jurassic park, the next few years will be real interesting . 

Seems like the pendulum swings now in the direction of crazy. Dip stick Joe will handle it.

No you can't unless you can figure out some way to convince  the left  shooting violent criminals helps stop global warming then they would not mind ,  because that trumps everything else for those crazy leftist . 

Edited by phantom

I'll say thank God for body cams. I saw the video of that one and the cop was clearly doing the right thing. It makes no sense to me why you'd call the cops and then bull rush a crowd that isn't even being physically aggressive and try to stab two people with a kitchen knife! Shot once and shooting four times is going nuclear?!? Wth 1 shot and maybe she shanks the other and now you have two likely dead.

Then the scumbag calling the cop out for shooting for shooting. Sorry your kick didn't land itself to the other girls face that just got assaulted. Hope they lock his ass up for gang assault and accessory to commit murder.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Anyone see the 13yr old Adam toledo video? Like the real unedited and cherry picked one? If that cop goes away then might get used to life without cops. Watched it half speed. No way the cop could've known if the kid was turning with no gun or the gun that was literally in his hands as he was turning.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Better yet lets do a trial run pick any big city that says they dont want police let the city buy out the peoples property  that want to leave say use the old police budget to do this with then, pull any form of law enforcement out police, DA, jails everything, and say u got your wish and see how that works out,,,, I feel that may open some far left eyes that just maybe law and order is needed

Better yet lets do a trial run pick any big city that says they dont want police let the city buy out the peoples property  that want to leave say use the old police budget to do this with then, pull any form of law enforcement out police, DA, jails everything, and say u got your wish and see how that works out,,,, I feel that may open some far left eyes that just maybe law and order is needed

Didn't they try that in Seattle with the CHAZ thing ?

Seemed to be a successful endeavor.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• Like 1