Crossing Over to the Dark Side

19 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

First of all, I dont even know if this is an accurate account, but more importantly, Why are you bringing this up now? That was a LONG time ago, almost 40 yrs. 

IMHO, Reagan was a great President and a tremendous leader- sure wish we had him now!!

What are you talking about? I've been an active member on this forum for some time and my signature hasn't changed in years.

https://youtu.be/oUpBxCbi5o8?t=6

34 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

NICE.  I've been eyeballing the Avenger in .25 for a while now.  I have a Beeman PCP in .177 and its a fun plinker.  I get 30 shots on a fill.  Hand pump for now, but I think if I finally bite on an Avenger I'll look into getting a tank for fill ups.

Yes a tank is a must. Hand pumping 4350psi would be a chore. I have ordered a Yongheng compressor since I live in such a rural area. 

All the reviews rave about the gun as far as what you get for the price point. I went with wood for the added heft and I'm not a fan of "Tupperware" stocks anyway.

Ballistics with the FX Hybrid slugs is on par with 22rf short.

LINK TO AVA REVIEW

Edited by wildcat junkie

Very cool.  Post up some pics of how it shoots when you get it dialed in.  My Beeman seems to like the JSB 13 grain pellets.  I tried some 20 grain slugs, and it throws them, they seem to tumble as indicated by the holes in the paper targets.  H&N do ok, but they dont group as tight as the JSB's.

Its fun to shoot, and cheap.  Not having to pick up brass is a plus as well. 

I'm leaning towards the .25 if I do get an Avenger as the specs online for the .25 in some of the higher pressure regulated guns is very impressive.  I think the Umarex Gauntlet was performing at a comparable rate to a .25ACP handgun in terms of energy.

Edited by loworange88

2 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

Very cool.  Post up some pics of how it shoots when you get it dialed in.  My Beeman seems to like the JSB 13 grain pellets.  I tried some 20 grain slugs, and it throws them, they seem to tumble as indicated by the holes in the paper targets.  H&N do ok, but they dont group as tight as the JSB's.

The AVA seems to like the 22gr FX Hybrid slugs. Ballistics with the FX Hybrid slugs is on par with 22rf short.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 10:31 AM, loworange88 said:

The .22 AVA is reputed to shoot the 22gr FX Hybrid Slugs with one hole accuracy at 50yds and sub MOA at 100.

Unfortunately my AVA came with little pressure in the chamber and would not expel the tight fitting slugs although it did shoot the Crossman Premiers.

Here is an FX slug that was chambered and then pushed out backward with a ramrod.

From the looks of the rifling engraving, it's no wonder these are accurate in the gun.

3spWBM3.jpg

Although my SCBA tank isn't due for about a week, the YongHeng 4500psi compressor is on the Fedex truck out for delivery. I can at least charge the chamber of the rifle and play around wit it.

Xhgpo6G.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

$1.06 Trigger Job Pays Off

I picked up a M5 - .08 X 15 socket head screw and nut to replace the factory travel adjustment screw. That converted the 2 stage mushy trigger to a single stage trigger and reduced the sear engagement.

Having a crisp clean trigger pull paid off. 

Crosman .22 Premier HP @ 1040fps

Before; .252" c -c at 25yds

nfQqN9I.jpg

After: .033" C-C @ 25yds

BltmZj1.jpg

Granted, the 2nd target only has 3 shots in it, but I still think it's an accurate representation.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1