Nuisance Coyote Down

Had a neighbor farmer that had a couple of calves go missing recently.

I took one of the calf killers out the day before the regular season ended, but one got away.

Another calf was found half eaten, so I went up last weekend and took out another coyote that I caught harassing the herd.

The herd was to my left, just out of view.

The coyote and a lone cow were having a Mexican standoff a few moments before I fired.

The Impulse predator and a 70 gr NBT did the job.

Impulse Predator.jpg

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 15

36 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

My neighbors calves are getting pounded on by the local yote population. Trying to get him to call dec and get a permit and allow me permission. Told me to just go up there and kill them but im not going in illegally. 

I believe it is only problem Deer that require special permits, when it comes to farmers protecting their livelihood say like Coons raiding a corn patch, it used to be they themselves or whomever they personally deem to do the job can go in and trap or hunt the offenders at any time no permit necessary, so I am pretty sure you would be legal.

Al

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, airedale said:

I believe it is only problem Deer that require special permits, when it comes to farmers protecting their livelihood say like Coons raiding a corn patch, it used to be they themselves or whomever they personally deem to do the job can go in and trap or hunt the offenders at any time no permit necessary, so I am pretty sure you would be legal.

Al

That is what I've always heard and been told if anything is harassing any sort of livestock/pets you are allowed to remove the threat without any special permits.

Follow these rules and your good to go.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/ENV/11-0523

When Nuisance hunting, I just over watch what's being preyed upon.

I don't use a call, as that would be attracting predators that would've normally stayed out of the area.

Usually the coyote show up very early in the Am to do their dirty work, so I head out around midnight.

Go get them.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 2

I was told by several coyote hunters I associate with that a permit is needed even for coyotes killing livestock. I was always under the impression before this that you could shoot one on your own without permits if livestock was being harmed. But also a friend who is a nuisance trapper through this state said the same thing, DEC must give a permit to allow a certain number to be killed. 

9 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I was told by several coyote hunters I associate with that a permit is needed even for coyotes killing livestock. I was always under the impression before this that you could shoot one on your own without permits if livestock was being harmed. But also a friend who is a nuisance trapper through this state said the same thing, DEC must give a permit to allow a certain number to be killed. 

Section 11-0523Destructive or menacing wildlife; taking without permit

Environmental Conservation (ENV)

6. Raccoons, muskrats, coyotes or fox injuring private property may be taken by the owner, occupant or lessee thereof, or an employee or family member of such owner, occupant or lessee, at any time in any manner.

You can listen to who you want to, but this is how the law is actually written, not hearsay or someone's opinion and no limit numbers.

Get written permission from the land owner and go kill some coyote.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

6. Raccoons, muskrats, coyotes or fox injuring private property may be taken by the owner, occupant or lessee thereof, or an employee or family member of such owner, occupant or lessee, at any time in any manner.

You can listen to who you want to, but this is how the law is actually written, not hearsay or someone's opinion and no limit numbers.

Well Dang, That's how i always thought it was as well.

Guess ill do my own homework(I should anyways) lol. Thanks sir. 

7 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

So I also just went on the DEC website and it says a permit is required to take coyotes threatening or killing private property/livestock.. 

Please correct me if i'm wrong? 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81531.html

When the sheep farm i was hunting was up in running, the local DEC didn't give a crap when I shot a yote on that property.  Got checked many times at night during the summer. I just shine the lots and shoot if I seen one. They knew I wasn't after a deer. Interesting  info, deer will not feed in the same paddock with the sheep. Once the sheep were moved, the deer would hit that field. Never in the 30+ yrs hunting there have I seen a deer grazing alongside or anywhere near the sheep. 

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

So I also just went on the DEC website and it says a permit is required to take coyotes threatening or killing private property/livestock.. 

Please correct me if i'm wrong? 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81531.html

I believe the difference is in if the coyote is deemed "nuisance" or deemed "damaging".

Nuisance - "May cause property damage, is perceived as a threat to human health or safety, or is persistent and perceived as an annoyance. Examples include a skunk or fox living under the porch or shed." A permit is needed to hunt a nuisance coyote.

Damaging - "digs up your yard, eats your landscape plants or vegetable garden, kills or threatens your livestock or pets, fouls your lawn, eats the fish in your pond, damages your home." A permit is not needed to hunt a damaging coyote.

Edited by Crazed98Camaro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crazed98Camaro said:

I believe the difference is in if the coyote is deemed "nuisance" or deemed "damaging".

Nuisance - "If an animal is not causing any concern, for example, it is simply passing by, is observed only once or twice and does not cause any harm, then it should not be considered a nuisance." A permit is needed to hunt a nuisance coyote.

Damaging - "digs up your yard, eats your landscape plants or vegetable garden, kills or threatens your livestock or pets, fouls your lawn, eats the fish in your pond, damages your home." A permit is not needed to hunt a damaging coyote.

Ten four, I guess thats what  i needed. Now that i look at it agan, I guess i was just mis reading the chart. Thanks for the clear up. i appreciate that. 

• Like 1

Follow all law enforcement rules.  That includes encon.   Its simple.  Follow the rules and you wont have a problem.  Cop pulls you over, you follow the rules. Dec has a law.  You follow the rules.  You dont want to follow the rules, maybe one of the many groups parading around these days that feel entitled to break laws would be more fitting.  

Edited by diplomat019

Follow all law enforcement rules.  That includes encon.   Its simple.  Follow the rules and you wont have a problem.  Cop pulls you over, you follow the rules. Dec has a law.  You follow the rules.  You dont want to follow the rules, maybe one of the many groups parading around these days that feel entitled to break laws would be more fitting.  

Good idea, next time I shoot a coyote I’m going to loot the hell out of bass pro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, mowin said:

When the sheep farm i was hunting was up in running, the local DEC didn't give a crap when I shot a yote on that property.  Got checked many times at night during the summer. I just shine the lots and shoot if I seen one. They knew I wasn't after a deer. Interesting  info, deer will not feed in the same paddock with the sheep. Once the sheep were moved, the deer would hit that field. Never in the 30+ yrs hunting there have I seen a deer grazing alongside or anywhere near the sheep. 

That's why I love using thermal, No lights to alert anyone, so no problems.

Now if we could only use suppressors !!!!!

FUAC !!!!

6 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

That's why I love using thermal, No lights to alert anyone, so no problems.

Now if we could only use suppressors !!!!!

FUAC !!!!

Back in the 80's and 90's I don't think they had thermal available. If so it was probably well out of my budget, lol. 

I had it in the late 90's and it was stupid expensive, but still worth it.

As with almost all technology, the newer units have 10 times the resolution and are a 1/4 the size + price now a days.

Thermal or not, I hope LEG will be able to help that farmer out with his coyote problem.