Upstates Trail Camera Pics 2021

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is that fella in the first 3 pics a nice 2 year old, or a bad 3 year old?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Based on the general lack of mass + the way his rump is higher than his shoulders, I'd say he's a nice 2 year old, and hope he survives the year.  My neighbor says the "brothers", whom I had on camera alot last year, are now both wide 10's from 8's last year.

15 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Is that fella in the first 3 pics a nice 2 year old, or a bad 3 year old?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Based on the general lack of mass + the way his rump is higher than his shoulders, I'd say he's a nice 2 year old, and hope he survives the year.  My neighbor says the "brothers", whom I had on camera alot last year, are now both wide 10's from 8's last year.

I would agree with 2 year old accessment . High hips.small shoulders is easy to pick out.

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I would agree with 2 year old accessment . High hips.small shoulders is easy to pick out.

They certainly look fat & happy though right?  Early sprint next year I need to do some serious apple trimming, weather & snow permitting.  Other than getting some plots on my hillside I think we're pretty established now in that regard, but looking this year you can see the disparity between the good apple trees that I trimmed in 2020 and the ones I missed/need the canopy thinned.

5 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

They certainly look fat & happy though right?  Early sprint next year I need to do some serious apple trimming, weather & snow permitting.  Other than getting some plots on my hillside I think we're pretty established now in that regard, but looking this year you can see the disparity between the good apple trees that I trimmed in 2020 and the ones I missed/need the canopy thinned.

I try and do my pruning in February.  Did a whole woods thinning this past winter over 700 trees dropped to open canopy and create cover.. so worth it when you go back a week later and are kicking deer bedded all thru the woods every 50 yards vs seeing nothing but seeing 300 yards..

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I try and do my pruning in February.  Did a whole woods thinning this past winter over 700 trees dropped to open canopy and create cover.. so worth it when you go back a week later and are kicking deer bedded all thru the woods every 50 yards vs seeing nothing but seeing 300 yards..

Yeah.  What I really lack is time. Theres 4 very large groves (probably 1/2 an acre each?) of mature quaking aspen that are slotted to get dropped and left where they lay.

The 3500 hemlock about to come off my hillside 130 is going to be interesting.  Supposedly starting in the next week or so.  Need to save my pennies to grease the loggers palms and open up a few logging roads to 30x100 on those benches.

It also seems like the guy who bought the neighboring property has absolutely no plans of brush hogging or cutting anything on his property, so around 50 acres of field is going to turn into scrub in the next few years.  It's already well on its way.

• Like 1