Need help from construction/ builder's, or anyone with ideas.

mowin

Had a bow window that was just frigging ugly. Removed and installed a slider. Eventually extending the deck to access the hot tub from that door. 

My issue is the vinyl siding. It's a 2.5" profile, and can only find 4" or larger profiles.  

Any ideas on what to do to make this area not look cobbed together?  

20210428_102015.thumb.jpg.bc04112ea52ddcdf8865d774061b9ef5.jpg

11 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Only thing i can think of is pull the siding off the bottom across the back and use that for the top of and sides of the door and then fill the bottom in with some faux stone or something....

I thought of that.  But very expensive. 

You could add fake columns along either side of the slider with a panel above.  Make them 18" or so wide and use some of the pulled off vinyl to fill in.   You could use cedar 3/8" plywood and wrap cove base trim around it to create the look. 

Or you could pull of the vinyl above the ceiling line (inside the gable area). use those pieces to fill in along side the slider, then add a cap there to delineate, and put another style vinyl above.  A scallop edge would look nice above that cap. 

Unfortunately nothing will be cheap to solve this problem. First picture is exactly what@apexerer said. Second and third picture adds a transom window above the patio door to chew up some of that space then wrap the door with a nice trim complete with a heavy cornice on top. Oh one thing that just popped into my head is to square off the existing vinyl siding so both sides are equal and the top is straight then finish it with board and batten siding. They even make vinyl board and batten now as well. 46d04231f5fd199333be79a277554282.jpg
74b4dea8933de2e6759972e8c60a5f0e.jpg
4b15cdaf2a0dd0ac074c52542c27a777.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otto said:

You could add fake columns along either side of the slider with a panel above.  Make them 18" or so wide and use some of the pulled off vinyl to fill in.   You could use cedar 3/8" plywood and wrap cove base trim around it to create the look. 

Or you could pull of the vinyl above the ceiling line (inside the gable area). use those pieces to fill in along side the slider, then add a cap there to delineate, and put another style vinyl above.  A scallop edge would look nice above that cap. 

I like changing up the top of the gable as well. Pull off enough to infill around the patio door then finish the gable with a different material like a cedar shake vinyl siding, scallop's or board and batt might even look ok up there 

• Like 3

I like the board and batten idea.   

Vinyl board and bat might be the easiest to figure out and the most cost effective. I’d probably just go with it in white. Not a lot of colors will match the yellow siding and white trim already on the house.
a6967b75aa4b4ccac7c7f6aef100070d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Vinyl board and bat might be the easiest to figure out and the most cost effective. I’d probably just go with it in white. Not a lot of colors will match the yellow siding and white trim already on the house.
a6967b75aa4b4ccac7c7f6aef100070d.jpg

Siding is more tan then yellow.  But I agree, white would look good. 

You could run a 36 inch to 48 inch high row of vertical wainscot vinyl panels along the bottom of the house.   The full width of the gable end of the house. the siding that you have removed will easily fill in the area that you have open on the end wall .  Just need to trim that slider door and maybe wrap the trim with metal .   There are a lot of different final panel profiles like wainscot board and batten tongue and groove and etc.  One of those designs may be an accent to what you want for a patio area .

• Like 1

Priced the faux stone panels. Expensive, but still a contender. 

Vinyl B&B is looking better. But struggling with color.  If I do white, is it going to look like I patched it quickly.  If it's dark grey, or a brown, will it look like a accent wall....

Don’t know what it’s called, but my buddy just put on an addition and they boxed out around the kitchen windows that stick out about a foot.  You could frame around for the same look.  The other is my FIL’s where we used accent siding around entry and some windows. 

DF7016C6-2D71-4748-9CE6-C0E7D30D0CEE.png

8BB63224-A0B0-4030-9ADD-A7D96A03836B.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Don’t know what it’s called, but my buddy just put on an addition and they boxed out around the kitchen windows that stick out about a foot.  You could frame around for the same look.  The other is my FIL’s where we used accent siding around entry and some windows. 

DF7016C6-2D71-4748-9CE6-C0E7D30D0CEE.png

8BB63224-A0B0-4030-9ADD-A7D96A03836B.jpeg

Love the first pic..

I'd be tempted to build a screen room off that slider, but it would be small. Maybe  10x12.  

I've got a stamped concrete patio in a "L" shape that's about 375sf. Our plans next yr is to build a 12x16 pavilion on that patio, and to make a screen room on the deck that's to the right of the slider.

26 minutes ago, mowin said:

Love the first pic..

I'd be tempted to build a screen room off that slider, but it would be small. Maybe  10x12.  

I've got a stamped concrete patio in a "L" shape that's about 375sf. Our plans next yr is to build a 12x16 pavilion on that patio, and to make a screen room on the deck that's to the right of the slider.

Two years of my life spent demolishing and rebuilding that house, but it came together nice. 

2B30F1FF-7BE9-4E32-81E5-55357FD09EBF.jpeg

8263C01B-1133-4CEE-8324-638A0F3DDB61.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mowin said:

Priced the faux stone panels. Expensive, but still a contender. 

Vinyl B&B is looking better. But struggling with color.  If I do white, is it going to look like I patched it quickly.  If it's dark grey, or a brown, will it look like a accent wall....

What about a shade of red or a shade of blue? Make it pop and stand out.

• Like 1