Boat organization

WNYBuckHunter

I’ve been looking at different ways to organize things in my new boat, particularly soft plastic baits as well as other baits. Currently I use The plastic tackle trays that you can change the compartments around to fit your baits, which is totally fine for hard baits and terminal tackle (hooks, split rings, weights etc, but they aren’t good for soft plastics. I like To keep my plastics in their original bags because of flavor and scent, and have them in a waterproof tub. The problem is, each time I want to change or replace one, I have to get the tub out and rifle through it until I find What I’m looking for. I picked up a worm binder, but that isn’t working well either. 

What are some of you using? I ran across this system and it looks very interesting. 

https://easyviewtackle.com

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

Check out the Z Man Bait Binders. I've used something similar for years, and it works great !

Those are nice. Last I tried ordering a couple and they were on backorder for like a year thru fish USA.  Wanted them for my worm harnesses.  

Those you have there in the attached John look nice. Issue might be leaving them in the boat stuff gets hot and melts.  Hate it when the collars on my spinnerbaits break down from the heat. 

I got so when I fished tourneys I just packed my tackle bag and gear for that location each time.  Kinda a pain but actually worked out alright. Just always took and extra bag of each plastic I knew I would use the most.  It was easier to plan since some places were all largemouth some small mouth, some weedy, some deep water etc.  So I always had all my boxes and gear at home and just loaded up plastic boxes and tackle bags with gear needed.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Always wanted to try a 4 ring binder.  Use a hole punch on the packages for two holes on on side of package.  Then could keep two packs side by side in it and label the binders - worms, craws, trailers, senkos etc.  Thought that might work.  But then stopped fishing tourneys and also realized i prob have too much gear.  Lol. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Those are nice. Last I tried ordering a couple and they were on backorder for like a year thru fish USA.  Wanted them for my worm harnesses.  

Those you have there in the attached John look nice. Issue might be leaving them in the boat stuff gets hot and melts.  Hate it when the collars on my spinnerbaits break down from the heat. 

I got so when I fished tourneys I just packed my tackle bag and gear for that location each time.  Kinda a pain but actually worked out alright. Just always took and extra bag of each plastic I knew I would use the most.  It was easier to plan since some places were all largemouth some small mouth, some weedy, some deep water etc.  So I always had all my boxes and gear at home and just loaded up plastic boxes and tackle bags with gear needed.

Yeah I wouldnt Use it for spinnerbaits or crankbaits, I ordered Specific boxes for those that will drop right into the well with the rest of my 3700 series trays.  I was Thinking of these just for soft plastics, and maybe even just keep the majority of them in my Ziploc tubs, and just take what I need For the tournament out the day before and put them into the boat on these clip organizers, then put them back into tubs after the tournament. I do See what you’re saying as far as melting goes. I havent Run into that issue yet, as my stuff has always been in tackle boxes and bags in the house when I’m not using it.

The ins and outs of storing in the boat is new for me, which is why I’m asking what you all do. I really Appreciate the tips like that. 

39 minutes ago, grampy said:

Check out the Z Man Bait Binders. I've used something similar for years, and it works great !

I bought one just like the Zman binders but from Bass Pro. It’s just as inconvenient to me as my tubs really, and I’d have to have a bunch of them. Probably 2 each for senkos, Ned rig worms, creatures, tubes, jig/spinner trailers, swim baits and misc plastics. Seems like a lot to fumble through. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I just packed my tackle bag and gear for that location each time.  Kinda a pain but actually worked out alright. Just always took and extra bag of each plastic I knew I would use the most.  It was easier to plan since some places were all largemouth some small mouth, some weedy, some deep water etc.  So I always had all my boxes and gear at home and just loaded up plastic boxes and tackle bags with gear needed.

That is pretty much what I always do.  My tackle bag has around 10 plastic boxes inside, for most of the stuff, and 3 big pouches on the outside, in which I keep applicable soft-plastics in their original bags.

While fishing, I usually have one of those plastic boxes out, along with a bag of soft plastic baits, if that's what I am using.  I also have a separate box for spinnerbaits.  All get removed from the boat, when not using, to avoid sun damage.

Weather permitting, I hope to get out on Erie, for the first time this year, a week from Saturday.  I think the water would be a bit too cold and stained this weekend, with all the rain we just got, plus my boat ain't quite ready to go yet.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That is pretty much what I always do.  My tackle bag has around 10 plastic boxes inside, for most of the stuff, and 3 big pouches on the outside, in which I keep applicable soft-plastics in their original bags.

While fishing, I usually have one of those plastic boxes out, along with a bag of soft plastic baits, if that's what I am using.  I also have a separate box for spinnerbaits.  All get removed from the boat, when not using, to avoid sun damage.

Weather permitting, I hope to get out on Erie, for the first time this year, a week from Saturday.  I think the water would be a bit too cold and stained this weekend, with all the rain we just got, plus my boat ain't quite ready to go yet.

Yeah, I dont Have to worry about sun damage, everything goes in the under deck storage and I store My boat in my barn with a lite cover to keep dust and dirt off. Everything except spinnerbaits, buzz baits and soft plastics will just stay in the boat all year round. 

31 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I bought one just like the Zman binders but from Bass Pro. It’s just as inconvenient to me as my tubs really, and I’d have to have a bunch of them. Probably 2 each for senkos, Ned rig worms, creatures, tubes, jig/spinner trailers, swim baits and misc plastics. Seems like a lot to fumble through. 

Just remembered, the ones I have are the red 'Tackle Logic Bag'. And you are right about needing a few, because I have at least dozen of them. I found them to be really handy during tournaments, because I could keep them out on the deck. Have one for each type of bait I would be using, depending on location, like Rob stated. And like Rob, I have WAY too much tackle!!! And still buy more!!

It's a sickness, and I need help!    :this:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Just remembered, the ones I have are the red 'Tackle Logic Bag'. And you are right about needing a few, because I have at least dozen of them. I found them to be really handy during tournaments, because I could keep them out on the deck. Have one for each type of bait I would be using, depending on location, like Rob stated. And like Rob, I have WAY too much tackle!!! And still buy more!!

It's a sickness, and I need help!    :this:

maybe we can form a support group and meet once a month at oh lets say .. bass pro. lol 

Please note this is not bass pro in the pic this is an area in the hunt/fish room. 

IMG_20210430_121119975.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

maybe we can form a support group and meet once a month at oh lets say .. bass pro. lol 

Please note this is not bass pro in the pic this is an area in the hunt/fish room. 

Hi! My name is Dave......I'm a lureoholic.

Yes!!! A support meeting at BPS will good therapy!! Utica is about halfway between us!!

Each time I tell my wife I'm going to Bass Pro, she just rolls her eyes, and gives me that "Really Dave"??? look!....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, grampy said:

I can surely relate Rob!

Hi! My name is Dave......I'm a lureoholic.

Yes!!! A support meeting at BPS will be good therapy!! Utica is about halfway between us!!

Each time I tell my wife I'm going to Bass Pro, she just rolls her eyes, and gives me that "Really Dave"??? look!....lol

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Lol I am already not far behind you, and the delivery trucks have been rolling in all week.

Last year I started Getting this Mystery Tacklebox thing every month, and it has made things way worse. I keep Getting new stuff that I’ve never tried, and then end up ordering more of what works. Problem is, most of what I’ve gotten has worked great so far. 

• Like 2