Mossberg 835 turkey barrel length

Enigma

Didn't want to hijack @Water Rat's thread so a question for those that run 835 turkey guns. What barrel length do you use? I have a 935 semi and am in need of a shorter barrel for turkeys. Mossberg lists both a 22" and a 24". Pro's and cons to either? Thanks. 

Edited by Enigma

If you are hunting from a popup blind, I think shorter would be better.  I had a 28" on my 870 Saturday in one and it was waaaaay too long.

Fortunately, no tom showed up, so I didn't have to stick it out the window to shoot.  Are .410's legal for turkeys ?  If so, I have a nice little, full choke Winchester model 20 that would fit perfect in there.  I have plenty of high brass 4s and 6s for it. If that ain't legal, I will go with my Barnett Recruit crossbow next time.

20210502_181412.jpg

Edited by wolc123

If you are hunting from a popup blind, I think shorter would be better.  I had a 28" on my 870 Saturday in one and it was waaaaay too long.
Fortunately, no tom showed up, so I didn't have to stick it out the window to shoot.  Are .410's legal for turkeys ?  If so, I have a nice little, full choke Winchester model 20 that would fit perfect in there.  I have plenty of high brass 4s and 6s for it. If that ain't legal, I will go with my Barnett Recruit crossbow next time.

20210502_181412.thumb.jpg.6b3a0b5d8536d9b98a63a4c879b1680e.jpg
WOLC, .410 guns are very popular right now using TSS loads. Accurate and deadly past 50 yards, or so i have read.
Not sure about using the lead ammo you have, but you can certainly test it out!
I have a 28" on my BPS, it does stick put when shooting out of a blind, but I have not been busted when doing so. Just go slow and watch where the bird is focused.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WOLC, .410 guns are very popular right now using TSS loads. Accurate and deadly past 50 yards, or so i have read.
Not sure about using the lead ammo you have, but you can certainly test it out!
I have a 28" on my BPS, it does stick put when shooting out of a blind, but I have not been busted when doing so. Just go slow and watch where the bird is focused.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the really fun .410 loads are
Illegal in NY. #9 shot. I'd love to setup a
.410 for turkey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

.410 is legal. TSS is the best option, but I think it's only available in #9 shot in .410 which isn't legal. 7 shot is the smallest shot legal in NY.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mowin said:

.410 is legal. TSS is the best option, but I think it's only available in #9 shot in .410 which isn't legal. 7 shot is the smallest shot legal in NY.

I have lead, high brass 4's and 6's.  My .410 is a full choke single shot.  Which of those two shot sizes would you recommend ? I might go with it next Saturday. 

It would be cool to hunt with that, because my grandpa bought that gun for my mom (who never took to hunting much like our own girls didn't). I will be hunting on his farm Saturday, where my mom and dad live now.

I am leaning towards the 4's because I like the 6's for squirrels.  I also have some target load 9's but it sounds like those are out based on the law.

I cant be first on the forum to kill a turkey but maybe with a .410.  

27 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have lead, high brass 4's and 6's.  My .410 is a full choke single shot.  Which of those two shot sizes would you recommend ? I might go with it next Saturday. 

It would be cool to hunt with that, because my grandpa bought that gun for my mom (who never took to hunting much like our own girls didn't). I will be hunting on his farm Saturday, where my mom and dad live now.

I am leaning towards the 4's because I like the 6's for squirrels.  I also have some target load 9's but it sounds like those are out based on the law.

I cant be first on the forum to kill a turkey but maybe with a .410.  

Pattern at 20, 25, and 30 yrds. See what you effective pattern is. 

30 yrds I'd only use 4's if it's a killing pattern. Otherwise I'd use the 6's but keep shots to 25 or under if it's a killing pattern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

20210502_181412.jpg

I've got a steevens single my dad bought for my oldest brother. Was handed down to me from my middle brother. I've given it to my young nephew, but its still in my safe because he's too young.  I've got no clue what the barrel is choked at. Killed many a tree rat and bunny's with that shotgun. 

19 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've got a steevens single my dad bought for my oldest brother. Was handed down to me from my middle brother. I've given it to my young nephew, but its still in my safe because he's too young.  I've got no clue what the barrel is choked at. Killed many a tree rat and bunny's with that shotgun. 

I am definitely going to go with it.   Another reason, is that I already have killed a turkey with my 28" barrell, 12 ga 870 (a hen in the fall from a treestand).  

I really dont see a need to pattern my .410, given the number of tree rats that I have taken with it, and the number of clay birds it has broken for me.  I probably will go with the 6's and set my decoy at 23 yards, to keep the shots close.

I am very confident in that .410 and I know its limitations.  I used to shoot on a trap league and we always had a .410 week at the end of the season.  Some of the guys regularly outshot me with their 12's, but nobody did with their .410's .

The key, on those clay birds with the little gun, was to get on them fast and break them close.  I dont think the other guys ever figured that out.  They just shot the same as they always did with their 12's.

I needed some excitement to get back into turkey hunting, after not seeing it hearing anything yesterday.  Were it not for that .410, I probably would have chased walleyes on the cold, muddy waters of Lake Erie instead.

• Like 1

I think the really fun .410 loads are
Illegal in NY. #9 shot. I'd love to setup a
.410 for turkey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Still use #8 but yea. I know if at least one forum member that loads 410 with tss.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

No smaller than #8 I thought.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I am definitely going to go with it.   Another reason, is that I already have killed a turkey with my 28" barrell, 12 ga 870 (a hen in the fall from a treestand).  

I really dont see a need to pattern my .410, given the number of tree rats that I have taken with it, and the number of clay birds it has broken for me.  I probably will go with the 6's and set my decoy at 23 yards, to keep the shots close.

I am very confident in that .410 and I know its limitations.  I used to shoot on a trap league and we always had a .410 week at the end of the season.  Some of the guys regularly outshot me with their 12's, but nobody did with their .410's .

The key, on those clay birds with the little gun, was to get on them fast and break them close.  I dont think the other guys ever figured that out.  They just shot the same as they always did with their 12's.

I needed some excitement to get back into turkey hunting, after not seeing it hearing anything yesterday.  Were it not for that .410, I probably would have chased walleyes on the cold, muddy waters of Lake Erie instead.

Even with a 12g, open choke, the key was to get on the clay ASAP when shooting trap. Some would let it sail a little before shooting. Not me. Pull..bang.

Humm.  You might be correct.  #8 isn't very common though. 
Yea I don't buy loaded tss ammo. Too expensive. If you reload though it does come in that size. Might even be half sizes too but not sure of that.

• Like 1

No expert here either, but it's my understanding that the shorter barrels were meant for the run and gunner. Easier to maneuver through thicker stuff, less of a profile and lighter. If you're hunting  a spot where you're pretty stationary and even when you do move, your travels are pretty open or easy then just stick with a 24 or even longer if you'd like a little more accuracy. 

There is no "correct" barrel length for turkey, it's up to your style of hunting. Mine came with a 24 and it's been fine, even in a blind, but my blinds are brushed in so I sit in a corner (back corner that is up against brush with windows closed), not the middle. 

Note that they make a bunch of sub 20's I think. I don't think the tradeoff of accuracy is worth it there unless you're not hunting fields at all.

• Like 1

I have two barrels for my Camo 835.  One is 28" and used for geese.  The other is a ported 24" with an extra full screw in choke that extends out of the barrel and adds another inch to it.  I like the longer sighting plane on both of these barrels, which aids accuracy, especially on long shots.  I've never found either barrel to be too long for the hunting I do with them and have even hunted turkey with the 28" barrel in the past.  When running and gunning for turkey, the balance of the gun comes into play.  The shorter barrel moves the balance more towards the butt. The longer barrel cuts down on the muzzle blast too.  I'm not opposed to a 22" if I think I need it that short to fit in a blind, but don't think it's needed for most turkey hunting applications.

• Like 1