Just got into camp yesterday!

First-light

Haven't been here since mid January. I'm pleased to report everything is working fine!! Took out the mowers checked oil and gas and they started right up! Got a mow in before the rain. Having my morning coffee thinking in a little over a year from now this will be home. Feels good!

• Like 17

Outstanding !

It's always good to  lay eyes on camp after a bit away and winter especially. My only causality this winter was the snow came off the woodshed roof farther than normal and crushed my old Coleman canoe and bent up the aluminum frame beyond repair.....

Enjoy your camp time !

• Like 1

Outstanding !
It's always good to  lay eyes on camp after a bit away and winter especially. My only causality this winter was the snow came off the woodshed roof farther than normal and crushed my old Coleman canoe and bent up the aluminum frame beyond repair.....
Enjoy your camp time !

Learned that lesson the first winter. I put the riding mower against the house it looked like a tank ran it over in the spring. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, rachunter said:

Learned that lesson the first winter. I put the riding mower against the house it looked like a tank ran it over in the spring. Lol

In five years never had snow hit that far out from the shed.....not pretty !!!

Neighbors cousin and Dad was up also. There he is at 83 going out hunting down a turkey. The Dad is a man I respect so much. You go through life and think you have met some pretty awesome people and then a guy like him shows up. I've known him now for 13 years seems like forever. Maybe because we took a piss in the woods together today! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, First-light said:

Neighbors cousin and Dad was up also. There he is at 83 going out hunting down a turkey. The Dad is a man I respect so much. You go through life and think you have met some pretty awesome people and then a guy like him shows up. I've known him now for 13 years seems like forever. Maybe because we took a piss in the woods together today! 

I met a guy like that when I was 16 and started going to my uncles hunting camp. He's a guy that I respect more than anyone and am super grateful for his friendship 25 years later even though he's a grumpy old man now.

• Like 2

My

8 hours ago, luberhill said:

How many acres are your camps ?

What areas ?

Could the camps be year round houses ?

Are they on lakes or water front ?

id like to buy land with a house / camp that I could use year round

My camp is on 70 acres in Steuben county. I have all services to the house. I would probably upgrade the heating system. Right now a wood and propane stove. I'll be living here in a little over a year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First-light said:

My

My camp is on 70 acres in Steuben county. I have all services to the house. I would probably upgrade the heating system. Right now a wood and propane stove. I'll be living here in a little over a year. 

How far away do U live ?

7 hours ago, luberhill said:

How far away do U live ?

6 hrs.....yes 6 hrs. I've had camps in the Catskills in the late 80's but sold. Finger lakes is a wonderful area to hunt fish and entertain guests at your house. 10 years ago it would be nothing for me to drive up on a Friday night get in at 3 am cath a few winks then go out muzzleload for the day. Leave Sunday afternoon. I JUST LOVE IT! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, First-light said:

6 hrs.....yes 6 hrs. I've had camps in the Catskills in the late 80's but sold. Finger lakes is a wonderful area to hunt fish and entertain guests at your house. 10 years ago it would be nothing for me to drive up on a Friday night get in at 3 am cath a few winks then go out muzzleload for the day. Leave Sunday afternoon. I JUST LOVE IT! 

I live in the fingerlakes region and can’t find land 

8 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I live in the fingerlakes region and can’t find land 

I had a bidding war with my neighbor months ago over a 68 acre parcel. It went up to 125 K he won. I was just looking into another parcel across from me and just found out it was sold. If you can find it buy it!

I am lucky in that I can get to my camp year round...sometimes in the winter I need to hike in though, it is about 1/2 mile off the county road. When we bought it we had a one hour travel circle to ensure we could get up more frequently...especially just for day trips, etc. I have ten acres but am pretty much surrounded by state and county land. 

I have monday off and am going up sunday after work. As it is a rustic camp up on blocks, the drains are susceptible to frost heave and each spring I need to patch em a bit. I drain the water system (collect water into a couple of gravity fed food grade 65 gallon drums) in the fall, and open the valves to start collecting again end of april or so. I also need to place an order with a local quarry for crushed limestone, as this spring we are putting in a stone walkway so we dont fall on our butt every time it rains (camp is slightly down hill) and spring/fall.

The camp is fully insulated except for the floor...I am spray foaming that this summer. Due to limited water and the somewhat improvised septic, difficult to turn into a full time residence, even if I wanted to. If I did, I wouldnt have a refuge. 

• Like 1

My camp is more rustic, no insulation, running water, woodstove, propane lights/fridge and lots of rocks making it unable to even think about a septic system or shallow point driven.

That being said, it remote enough and has state land on three sides.

Stay well fellow big woods group and black fly season will be upon us soon enough....

On 5/7/2021 at 8:07 PM, Nomad said:

That’s dirt cheap ,2K an acre must be scrub land .  My land in the finger lakes area , I wouldn’t even reply to that offer , triple it maybe . 

Seasonal road no electric. Not scrub land either but very long and narrow.