Best Socks?

Pete Collin

This may seem like an obscure topic, but it is important to me.  Do any of you have favorite socks for doing lots of walking in the woods?  I work outside, with lots of walking.  for years the absolute best socks in the world were Bass Pro Shops' Red Head brand.  They are thick, but soft.  I wore them summer and winter because they cushion your feet and prevent blisters.  Before they came around I would often double up on socks for a day in the woods, which makes you go through your sock drawer quickly.  I am ready to order another batch, and I noticed that the RedHead socks didn't get good ratings on Cabela's own web page.  Turns out, like everything else, people complained that they cheapened the manufacturing process, and the ones they sell today aren't as good.  

So what other socks out there are worth getting for long days of walking off-trail?

I saw this question asked on this forum sometime ago, and got turned onto "Darn Tough" socks. Since then, I've pretty much replaced my whole sock drawer with Darn Tough. They are super comfortable, come in a variety of weights, and are made in the USA (Vermont). A little pricey, but they have a lifetime guarantee. So far, I haven't been able to wear them out. 

• Like 3

It absolutely pains me to say this but Dicks/F&S have a merino wool house sock for $10 that is out of this world nice for the price.

I try to avoid that place but for the cost, they have been awesome. Not something I'd wear in July, but Oct through early spring...yep!

Forget about anything cotton...comfortable for casual wear, but it matts down, keeps your feet damp and cold.

Here is another shout out for Smart Wool. Merino wool socks, which is a long fiber wool. Wears like cotton for comfort. I used to wear them daily year round. A properly sized and fitted shoe/boot (fitted with the sock you are going to wear with it) doesnt need a thicker sock for comfort. They have a medium wt/ hiking sock that is my favorite.They arent cheap, but you will fall in love with them.

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

darn tough - I have had several sets replaced if they wear out.   They are warm, comfortable and not overly bulky.

Just about every day I wear DT socks.....by far the best I've ever worn.

These are my favorites by far . I have two, pair they were great at work as they fit in my uniform boots ,as they’re fairly thin but incredibly warm !

I’ve worn those two,pair for years upon years  maybe ten , if They were still made I’d buy a dozen pairs .

C4AA7F55-A72C-4D09-A559-439F6EFD29E3.png

I love the Smart Wool socks.  I have a few Darn Tough and some of the models don’t fit me right, there are too tight on the front part of my foot where it meets my ankle.  I have a few other pairs and they are ok, but those one model just don’t feel comfortable.    Smart Wool has been good every time. 

I also bought a 6 pack of cheap wool blend socks at Costco and dam if those are not the most comfortable and durable for every day use.  I think it was 20 bucks for the 6 pairs.  If they get gummed up with sawdust or prickers, I don’t feel bad tossing them.  Plenty warm and comfy too.  

• Like 1

I have 2 pairs of Darn tough hunting socks and they are great. I noticed that they are very similar to the Smart wool ski socks that I wear skiing so I started wearing my ski socks hunting and they are great as well. Now I have several pairs of socks I can wear skiing or hunting!

Warm weather or cold weather, toe socks. lol :mosking:

I bought a few pair of toe socks when I started working large shooting matches, walking all day long. My feet stayed dry and blister free. My feet are always drier and always cleaner at the end of the day when I wear them. I've had occasion to wear them for extending periods of time , work related "state of emergencies", where I ended up wearing them several days straight without being able to take them off. Yeah my feet still smelled, but my feet were miles less stinky and nasty than they would have been with regular socks.

I have some regular toe socks, and in recent years have bought many pairs of these wool liners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW7RHEY

Turkey hunting in the spring I wear them under regular socks. Deer season I wear them under heavy wool socks. I have dozens of polypropylene sock liners that I never wear anymore since I started buying these.  Warm, dry, clean, blister free. I've sold a bunch of hunters on them on shooting/hunting forums. (I get lots of PM with questions as no one wants to ask openly lol)

Yes, your hunting buddies may laugh at you and will question your manhood, but they are great. lamo

If they weren't a so expensive, and more importantly a big pain in the butt to put on compared to regular socks, I wouldn't wear anything else.

Edited by cas

The simple answer is Darn Tough. I've worn them for years, and have even had occasion to send a couple pair back - after many seasons of wear and tear. The lifetime warrantee is well-named. No issues, but there was a nominal shipping fee, maybe three or four bucks. 

But Darn Tough is an oversimplification, since they make so darn many flavors. For summer, in my 3/4 boots, I hike in the Coolmax micro crew mid weight mostly, although I also like the Hunter micro crew midweight. In the fall, I switch to the Hunter over the calf heavyweight under my Muck boots, and I stick with that through spring. I also like the men's light hiker and hiker 1/4 midweight with some cushion if I'm wearing Anhu or Merrill type low cut hiking sneakers. Cowboy boots get a lighter version of the OTC mid cushion hikers. 

Yes, I have a problem. 

• Like 1