What to do in/near Oxford NY

Moho81

We are camping at Bowman Lake State park over Memorial Day. Just a quick google search does not show a lot in the area which is fine but maybe there is a hidden family friendly gem that someone knows about. Anyone got any ideas? 

10 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

We are camping at Bowman Lake State park over Memorial Day. Just a quick google search does not show a lot in the area which is fine but maybe there is a hidden family friendly gem that someone knows about. Anyone got any ideas? 

Isn't that not too far from Cooperstown?

In Cooperstown, I love the Farmers Museum. But I grew up on a farm, so......  they also have pioneer era house and people "living the life" on display.  Not sure what covid has changed.    but it is a family thing for sure!   

Also, not too far away is Howes Caverns which is really awesome, great tour underground, plus they have a zip line there now too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

About an hour. Besides the baseball hall of fame is there anything else to do in Cooperstown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot in the area, especially if you have young kids.  The lake in town is beautiful.  The golf course on the lake looks nice if golf is your thing.   I've taken my kids fishing with a guide/charter and it was a lot of fun and reasonably priced.  They have old fashioned baseball games in town from time to time.  Ommegang Brewery has great beers and a nice outdoor area with food and music.  There's loads of simple family stuff in the area- mini golf, bumper cars, ice cream, etc. and Fly Creek Cider Miller is pretty cool if you're already in the area.  

• Like 2

There's a lot in the area, especially if you have young kids.  The lake in town is beautiful.  The golf course on the lake looks nice if golf is your thing.   I've taken my kids fishing with a guide/charter and it was a lot of fun and reasonably priced.  They have old fashioned baseball games in town from time to time.  Ommegang Brewery has great beers and a nice outdoor area with food and music.  There's loads of simple family stuff in the area- mini golf, bumper cars, ice cream, etc. and Fly Creek Cider Miller is pretty cool if you're already in the area.  

Wow. Day trip to Cooperstown will be on the list of things to do. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Cooperstown should be hopping that weekend. It would be very easy to spend a great day there with the family. It's not however, car friendly during the summer and it's also 60min from Bowman. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Fly Creek Cider Mill outside of Cooperstown closed last year with no plans to reopen. That area of CNY is the stomping grounds of a member here. I'm sure he'll chime in soon with good advice.

I grew up in Chenango county so FWIW . . . 

Roger's Environmental Conservation Center just west of Sherburne. Trails and nature center. Easy hiking, near the Chenango river and plenty of places to picnic. Crazy big trout in the holding ponds. Awesome place.

Grab a slice or calzone in Sherburne at Joe and Vinny's pizzeria. The real deal for 35 years. Gilligan's Drive-in is very solid for kid food and ice cream too.

Norwich is low key. On a side street in Norwich is The Northeast Classic Car Museum. Kid friendly and bitchin cool if anyone's into cars. Nina's Pizzeria downtown has been there forever and serves quality food. Pretty sure the small downtown movie theater there is still open. Mayhood's on Rte 12 between Norwich and Oxford is worth a quick stop for possible ammo.

Oxford has Hoppie's ice cream. There also used to be an all you can eat breakfast at the Oxford American Legion, Sunday mornings starting at 7:30AM. Nothing says CNY better than pancakes and sausage cooked for breakfast at the local legion.

Have a great time. Beautiful country down there.

• Like 2

Rogers conservation Center is an excellent place for the kids if you are entertaining kids. Sometimes they have a nighttime event such as birds of prey things like that . nighttime hike walks looking for owls and  it’s pretty neat for kids .oneonta  has a memorial day parade along with a Veterans Memorial  in the local park .  FYI   If you’re headed to Cooperstown like  another member said parking is terrible especially if you bring a boat and trailer good luck With that . .  All of our smaller towns such as Norwich new Berlin Morris South new Berlin Mount Upton and other areas all have something to add for the weekend .  Probably the biggest thing you’ll find going on throughout all of our towns up here it’s going to be yard sales .   If you’re into  yard sales you just may come home with a canoe ,tree stand new gun , Bow-or all of the above . 

• 3 weeks later...