I Think I'm Ready for the Thieving Ba$tards

wildcat junkie

The federal government actually gives them permits to kill so many a year.  Green energy privilege.  And there seems to be no complaint from the raptor loving community about it.

Wildcat, I've been using a bolt action .22 with those Colibri cartridges that are silent when fired from a .22 rifle.  They turn the .22 into a pellet rifle.  My only air rifle is .17 caliber and I prefer a .22 for small varmints.  Ever use Colibris?

https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220337/

They have no powder in them and claim the regular Colibris may not fire from a .22 rifle and become lodged in the barrel, but they work fine in mine.

They also have Super Colibri rounds made for .22 rifles.  They have a tiny bit of powder, but are silent when fired from a rifle.

Edited by Grouse

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Wildcat, I've been using a bolt action .22 with those Colibri cartridges that are silent when fired from a .22 rifle.  They turn the .22 into a pellet rifle.  My only air rifle is .17 caliber and I prefer a .22 for small varmints.  Ever use Colibris?

https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220337/

They have no powder in them and claim the regular Colibris may not fire from a .22 rifle and become lodged in the barrel, but they work fine in mine.

They also have Super Colibri rounds made for .22 rifles.  They have a tiny bit of powder, but are silent when fired from a rifle.

What you are describing seems similar to what used to be called CB caps, primer only .22rf ammo.

It's more than just the quietness that makes the air rifle appealing, its the cost of shooting it. After the initial investment in the compressor ($300) and SCBA tank with fitting, (about $150) I can shoot all day for little cash outlay.

Using 100 as a quantity that is easily cost visualized, 100 Crosman Premier HP pellets costs me $1.35 including tax. Beware, the "dark side" is adducting. Compare that to  About $20 for the same amount of super colibri.

Even if I go to the more expensive FX Hybrid slugs I am only spending $12.79 for 100 slugs with far superior ballistics. 

Super Colibi 20gr @ 590fps Mv, 528fps @ 100yds

FX Hybrid Slug 22gr A 800fps Mv, 684fps @ 100yds

There's also the consistency and inherent accuracy at short to moderate ranges. My chronograph readings had an extreme spread of just 4fps with a standard deviation of 1.8fps. That's hard to match with 2rf given the inconstancy of priming that goes along with the design. If you have ever shot 100yd benchrest with a 22rf, you would know the frustration involved with anything other than European Eley primed match ammo.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still use my CZ 452 American for squirrel hunting and shooting where safety zones permit, but the "dark side" is addicting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

What about the piles of dead birds (including bald eagles) under wind turbines ?   How is that legal ?

Then there are all the bird killed by domestic cats, aircraft and motor vehicles. How is that legal?

Edited by wildcat junkie

Just mentioned it as an option for those who don't want to invest a lot of cash in an air rifle if they will only use it to shoot small birds and varmints.  Super Colibri can be had for $15.00 per hundred and they are very consistent in their accuracy.  The regular Colibri rounds can be had for $10 per hundred. That may last some folks a year.  Mine do.  Just an option for anyone who can't invest a lot of money in a good air rifle and doesn't shoot them a lot.

Edited by Grouse

14 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Then there are all the bird killed by domestic cats, aircraft and motor vehicles. How is that legal?

Since it's by accident and not intentional, I would certainly hope nobody could be prosecuted for it.  I think you can shoot feral cats for that reason too, no?

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Just mentioned it as an option for those who don't want to invest a lot of cash in an air rifle if they will only use it to shoot small birds and varmints.  Super Colibri can be had for $15.00 per hundred and they are very consistent in their accuracy.  The regular Colibri rounds can be had for $10 per hundred. That may last some folks a year.  Mine do.  Just an option for anyone who can't invest a lot of money in a good air rifle and doesn't shoot them a lot.

Yes that's am viable option.

Just now, Grouse said:

Since it's by accident and not intentional, I would certainly hope nobody could be prosecuted for it.  I think you can shoot feral cats for that reason too, no?

Birds killed by wind turbine are not intentional either.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

I had a horribly mangy looking feral cat amble by yesterday. I would have shot it but my woman would have had a fit if I did that.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

What about the piles of dead birds (including bald eagles) under wind turbines ?   How is that legal 

Dang wind turbines are a menace. So ugly, like climate changers lol. As long as NYC doesn't  go under water they dont care how many birds die.

1 hour ago, Lucky118 said:

Dang wind turbines are a menace. So ugly, like climate changers lol. As long as NYC doesn't  go under water they dont care how many birds die.

I agree.  They have pretty much destroyed the skyline scenery on tug hill around Lowville, and many other formerly pretty areas of upstate NY.   In addition to the bird slaughter, they dont make any sense economically.  The value of the power that they make doesn't pay for their build and upkeep costs.  

• Like 1

Back to my bird feeders. 

Pest activity has fallen off sharply. I only put 2 "on the ground" this morning. Looks like my vigilance is paying off.

Also, desirable birds visiting the feeders has increased markedly.

I saw one of these guys just a few minutes ago.. First one I have ever seen.

x3aOilt.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

Back to my bird feeders. 

Pest activity has fallen off sharply. I only put 2 "on the ground" this morning. Looks like my vigilance is paying off.

x3aOilt.jpg

We get those rose breasted grosbeaks alot. Only use sunflower seed in the feeder. Lots of Cardinals too. They winter in Mexico and south America. They say it's the same ones that come back yearly to the same place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I agree.  They have pretty much destroyed the skyline scenery on tug hill around Lowville, and many other formerly pretty areas of upstate NY.   In addition to the bird slaughter, they dont make any sense economically.  The value of the power that they make doesn't pay for their build and upkeep costs.  

Liberal ideas are usually stupid 

2 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Back to my bird feeders. 

x3aOilt.jpg

They love grape jelly ! 

• 6 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 8:04 PM, wolc123 said:

What about the piles of dead birds (including bald eagles) under wind turbines ?   How is that legal ?

Not that sorry wining again. You can't stop progress. What about al the jobs lost shoveling horse manure out of the streets that were lost due to the invention of the automobile?

What about all of the birds and other wildlife killed by cars?

Edited by wildcat junkie