No gobbles

Liquidonyx

Quick question for the crew.

How long will you sit without hearing anything before you move? This morning I hit the woods well before light and sat quietly, never heard a gobble. I sat until about seven then I decided to move  and go looking for a bird, no luck.

There was an obnoxious owl that was calling from the second I stepped out of the truck and continued most of the morning. I thought that might have had someone to do with it.

My struggle here has been even finding birds to roost the previous night. I’m spending time going in “cold Turkey” hoping to get lucky.

I know these are probably rookie mistakes, but it seems like time in the woods is time in the woods and you can’t kill’em from the couch...lol

I definitely appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Liquidonyx said:

My struggle here has been even finding birds to roost the previous night. I’m spending time going in “cold Turkey” hoping to get lucky.

I know these are probably rookie mistakes, but it seems like time in the woods is time in the woods and you can’t kill’em from the couch...lol

Is there birds in the area? Fresh sign? 

I like to sit for about a hr after fly down if I'm not hearing anything.  Then I start looking. 

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Is there birds in the area? Fresh sign? 

I like to sit for about a hr after fly down if I'm not hearing anything.  Then I start looking. 

I believe so, the leave in the area were roughed up and I found a Turkey feather in a clearing a few hundred yards away from where I set up. I didn’t see much of anything this past Sunday, minus the porcupine. 

1 hour ago, Liquidonyx said:

I believe so, the leave in the area were roughed up and I found a Turkey feather in a clearing a few hundred yards away from where I set up. I didn’t see much of anything this past Sunday, minus the porcupine. 

Let's see what next weekend looks like.  Maybe we can manage a hunt at the farm.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Liquidonyx said:

You have a great attitude. You got hunting rule #1 right but hunting rule #1a states "You can't kill em if they ain't there." Go find some turkeys! Preferrably see a tom and make a plan to kill em. You have 2 weeks left. I'd also be scouting for next year if I was going to hunt the same place. Put the walkin shoes on and hunt around your place. They can be killed anytime in May if you find em. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...