Lead Ammo Ban Is Coming!

Grouse

A05728, the lead ammunition ban hunting on state land and land surrounding the NYC DEP waters is progressing fast!
It passed the Assembly's Environmental Conservation Committee on 4/27/2021, and was referred to the Assembly's Code Committee.
A5728 passed the Codes Committee on 5/4/2021 - yesterday!
This bill may go to the Assembly floor shortly for the full Assembly to vote on once it gets assigned to the calendar!
Please contact ALL NYS Assemblymembers to let them know your stance on this bill. The NYS Legislative session ends in about a month so time is critical that you make contact.
I have attached the list of NYS Assemblymembers' contact information.
If passed the effective date for this legislation is January 1 2023.
The current ammo shortage will eventually end. But the shortage of lead free ammo will not! Even before the current ammo shortage began, lead free ammo was very hard to get if it was available.
If this trend of lead free ammo shortage continues, you will not be able to hunt on state land after the effective date. This includes not being able to use rim-fire lead ammo for small game hunting. Some people are calling this a backdoor hunting ban because of the scarcity of lead free ammo.
A05728 Committee Votes:
Committee:ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION Chair:Englebright
DATE:04/27/2021 AYE/NAY:21/9 Action: Favorable refer to committee Codes
Committee:CODES Chair:Dinowitz
DATE:05/04/2021 AYE/NAY:16/6 Action: Favorable
Click on this link for details and text of the bill:
The Schenectady County Conservation Council is against this and any other lead ammo ban legislation. The NYSCC Firearms and Ammunition Committee is against this legislation and has recommended the NYSCC be against it also. A position stance is being drafted.
  • Sad 2

I already voiced my concerns with them a few months ago. Obviously they will do what they want as long as they can muster up the votes. They could care less what the voters think. They are doing what is "right" for the people:bad:

• Like 1

As I stated last summer the California model for banning traditional lead ammunition would be the Democrat's first salvo for their gun control agenda. As with California it will not stop with a ban on just state lands it will be implemented eventually state wide. California's hunting and shooting community has been devastated by the lead ammo ban. Old "sleepy Joe will be jumping on the traditional ammo ban band wagon before long for all Federal lands.

Al

• Like 2

Sounds like this law would prohibit the use of any lead ammo for any reason on all of the NYC watershed land in the Catskill region.  I wouldn't even be able to target practice on my own land with a .22, or any gun using any of the thousands of rounds of target ammo I currently have.

"Prohibits the use of lead ammunition in the taking of wildlife on wildlife management areas, state forests, forest preserves, state parks or any other state-owned land that is open for hunting and on land contributing surface water to the New York city water supply."

14 hours ago, Nytracker said:

happened  to know where there's about 300 lbs of lead ... and molds  for a good share of what I shoot ... guy can cast some pretty sweet bullets .

You are absolutely right, I did some casting years ago with a Coleman stove and a old kitchen pot. I got out of it because cast bullets were so easily available at not a lot of cost, it just was not worth the trouble for me back then. That was then and this is now, things are going south in a hurry and the old Boy Scout saying of "being prepared" is not lost on me.

Picked up a new furnace, couple of new molds and some hard alloy lead ingots so I am pretty good to go as far as handguns and muzzleloaders.

Al

2021-05-10_091745.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2