Knife edc

sbuff

For every day I keep it small, light and simple, an old well used American made "Shrade"  2 blade Improved Muskrat. I like a two blade for the simple reason of having an extra sharp blade. My main carry hunting knife is a "Western" two blade in a bit of a larger version for the same reason.

Al

2021-05-18_095300.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

I switch out between a Griptilian and a Mini Grip.

Since 2/26/93 I have never been without a good knife and a good mini flashlight in my EDC.

They do make it hard though with metal detectors and so many venues . Hats off to the St. Louis Cardinals , you can bring in up to a 4 inch blade . The Gateway Arch, which is a National Park, with an entrance with screening that revivals any airport , same thing. Guard told me “ nice Spyderco ! “ 

They do make it hard though with metal detectors and so many venues . Hats off to the St. Louis Cardinals , you can bring in up to a 4 inch blade . The Gateway Arch, which is a National Park, with an entrance with screening that revivals any airport , same thing. Guard told me “ nice Spyderco ! “ 

I fly a lot and I'm afraid I'll forget one in my pocket and have to toss it. I had to throw out a little Leatherman from my keychain once. I asked the guard if he could keep it and he said nope, its gotta go in the trash. Id like to think he got it later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had to go back into the airport, find a post office and mail myself my swiss army knife once. Had it for a long time and wasn't about to lose it.

And then there was the time I forgot I had a cigar cutter in my pocket at the Singapore airport. A cigar cutter that used to be a .44 calibre round. They were not amused.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, airedale said:

For every day I keep it small, light and simple, an old well used American made "Shrade"  2 blade Improved Muskrat. I like a two blade for the simple reason of having an extra sharp blade. My main carry hunting knife is a "Western" two blade in a bit of a larger version for the same reason.

Al

2021-05-18_095300.png

My EDC was a small, "made in USA" Imperial, very similar to that.  I found it in a $1.00 bin at the Alexander steam show in 2014.  The smaller blade was broken off about mid way (that's why it only cost a buck).

I reshaped the broken stub blade on a grinder, such that it was about 1" long, and I always kept that razor sharp.   Prior to that, my EDC's rarely lasted me over a year before I lost or broke them.

I have been carrying miscellaneous knives since mid-February of this year, when I lost the little Imperial while ice fishing up on the NW corner of the Adirondack park.  Lately, it has been a roughly 3/4 scale Buck 110 copy that my father in law brought back from China years ago.  It sucks, compared to that little Imperial 2 bladed folder.

Rumor has it, that he found my $ 1.00 knife, near the top of the stairs to his dock, up on that small Adirondack lake.  I am looking forward to getting it back, when I head up there next.

If I do, I might just see how many skips I can get out of this Asian buck.  I will guess 6 because it is nice and flat.

20210518_173622.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I fly a lot and I'm afraid I'll forget one in my pocket and have to toss it. I had to throw out a little Leatherman from my keychain once. I asked the guard if he could keep it and he said nope, its gotta go in the trash. Id like to think he got it later

Well my youngest , was told her checked suitcase was to heavy, so,she pulled out her packed day pack and brought it on broad . Inside it was a Spyderco Delica ( 3 inch blade ) and a can of pepper spray , no problem boarding . 

Places that use hand held wands Ive beat every time , I put my phone and keys in an outstretched arm , with my Spyderco behind the phone . I’ve also put it in my shoe if I’m wearing shorts , most guards are to old , lazy ,busy to wand feet, especially with low top shoes,  it’s about keeping the line moving  . Walk troughs I put it in a bag, which goes around the walk through and they do a “ bag check “ which is mostly holding it in an outstretched arm ( looking for weight of a gun ) and a quick look inside . Knife is in a collapsible umbrella.

Yes it’s a game with me .

I know a former TSA guy , he loved Christmas time , people would bring expensive perfumes that were over the ounce limit . Easy Christmas shopping ....

Well my youngest , was told her checked suitcase was to heavy, so,she pulled out her packed day pack and brought it on broad . Inside it was a Spyderco Delica ( 3 inch blade ) and a can of pepper spray , no problem boarding . 

Places that use hand held wands Ive beat every time , I put my phone and keys in an outstretched arm , with my Spyderco behind the phone . I’ve also put it in my shoe if I’m wearing shorts , most guards are to old , lazy ,busy to wand feet, especially with low top shoes,  it’s about keeping the line moving  . Walk troughs I put it in a bag, which goes around the walk through and they do a “ bag check “ which is mostly holding it in an outstretched arm ( looking for weight of a gun ) and a quick look inside . Knife is in a collapsible umbrella.
 I know a former TSA guy , he loved Christmas time , people would bring expensive perfumes that were over the ounce limit . Easy Christmas shopping ....

Where are you flying that they dont make you send your bag through an xray lol? The Olean airport?

• Like 1

Ummmm...what?!? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My gerber paraframe mini has been in my pocket pretty consistent now that I haven't flown much - similar to others here, when I fly for work often I don't use an EDC because invariably it'll get in a bag or a pants pocket unknowingly. I lost a few mini leathermans that way early on in the post 9/11 world and that made me paranoid about losing something of value.

I like the paraframe but the blade is pretty weak for it's small size even. I have a pretty bag gouge about 1/8 to 1/4" from the tip. I'm sure I can get her slicked down, but it didn't get that much abuse to warrant the "damage." IMO.

I have Benchmade Mini Bugout coming that I am excited for, but nervous to EDC...lol. Even though I bought it to EDC. Using a $150 retail EDC is way above my comfort level. I'm hoping I pay attention to it more as a result. Sort of like buying expensive sunglasses and not losing them or being wreckless.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Nomad said:

You're joking right?  If not, you are playing games with people that are trained not to play and if your scheme to elude their detection does not work, you lose whatever you're trying to hide.  So I guess - like gambling, only play with what you can afford to lose. 

Most airports make you take your shoes off and put them in a plastic bin which goes through the detector.  A few years ago, I forgot a cheap small folding knife was at the bottom of a side zipper pocket in my carry on bag.   They found it and took it.  Our flight to Orlando out of Buffalo was delayed for over 8 hours because our plane had mechanical problems and was being fixed prior to coming up to the Buffalo airport.  So I had time to go back to TSA and get my knife and take it to the car in the lot.  Fortunate to be able to get my knife back, but it was not really worth the 8 hours that were lost.

Getting back on topic, I love my Kershaw knife that opens like a switch blade; which is a cool feature.  However, the best thing about this little knife which I also use to field dress deer, is that the handle is a blaze orange color.  I got tired of searching for my knife with a brown handle when I set it down in the woods, and now it's no longer a problem. 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, Crazed98Camaro said:

Anybody have a Ontario Knife Company product? Been looking for a new EDC and didn't realize they were local to me.

So when I think of Ontario knives I think of some of the old military knives they made, I see them at auctions sometimes. I feel like there are several pilots knives floating around out there. 

I always see knives using the Ontario "Rat" as a comparison knife, I've never handled one. Just looking at a few specs, it looks like most of their folding knives are made in Taiwan, but the majority of their fixed blades are US made. 

• Like 1

I finally made it back up to my in-laws in the Adirondacks to get my little Imperial edc back.  I lost it up there while ice fishing in Ferbruary.  My father in law found it while he was putting in his dock this spring.

20210529_214817.jpg

• Like 3