America's Most Ineffective Deer Management Program

Grouse

3 hours ago, Belo said:

The topic came up because Steve is not a brand for guns and ammo, he's a brand for hunting. My point is that that a call on semi-auto rifles doesn't affect hunters. I never said it doesn't affect the 2nd amendment.

You're now the second guy here in addition to phade who is hunting waterfowl with rifle and also promoting shooting running deer.

This place is funny. No wonder why the numbers keep dropping and dropping.

SEMI AUTO SHOTGUNS ARE SEMI AUTO TOO....Chernin calls for a semi auto ban, guy....not just scary black rifles, semi auto! Apparently you've never let a Benelli bark at some geese or ducks, or a Remington 1100 on a buck.

To say a ban on semi auto doesn't impact hunters is such a disconnect it's mind boggling. 

Why are deer drives less common? Shrinking property size and access....not because of your view on ethics. That's for dang sure. Also because of the evolution of going after mature deer being more paramount, along with hunter density...cough cough, meateater is against hunter recruitment, too. 

Barf.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're wrong. The article is here and every question I asked referenced rifles. I've shot plenty of winged critters, and referenced where I own a semi-auto shotgun myself, so go barf somewhere else and enjoy your meateater shotgun, you've given more money to them than I have and yet your hardon against Steve rages on.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/01/17/anti-gun-democrats-purchase-of-meateater-could-pose-big-problems-for-hunter-focused-company/

Peter Chernin, an anti-gun Democrat who called for a federal ban on semi-automatic rifles, purchased a controlling stake in the popular MeatEater, a hunter-focused entertainment and lifestyle company.

Hey, if you want to think that rifles used in a literal term doesn't apply universally to an anti-gunner, I don't know what to tell you. He isn't anti semi-auto rifle....he is anti-gun. (emphasis on the gun, part)......

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Belo said:

You're wrong. The article is here and every question I asked referenced rifles. I've shot plenty of winged critters, and referenced where I own a semi-auto shotgun myself, so go barf somewhere else and enjoy your meateater shotgun, you've given more money to them than I have and yet your hardon against Steve rages on.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/01/17/anti-gun-democrats-purchase-of-meateater-could-pose-big-problems-for-hunter-focused-company/

Peter Chernin, an anti-gun Democrat who called for a federal ban on semi-automatic rifles, purchased a controlling stake in the popular MeatEater, a hunter-focused entertainment and lifestyle company.

It's a rifle....bolt action no less. Phew.

47 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Chernin also signed a petition backed by a Michael Bloomberg-funded gun control group demanding a federal ban on semi-automatic weapons.

you're right, but did you check that out? It does NOT call for a ban on semi-autos, just assault weapons. (also retarded as they use the word clips) So our mags are safe :)

https://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/guns.pdf

Listen guys, i'm not arguing gun control with any of you. We're all on the same side, but I WILL defend a guy who I believe has spent his life helping our sport. I don't believe there is any evidence at all that Steve is anti-2a or that his investor has influenced that at all.

Phade you poked at BHA and TRCP. Yes those organizations are pro wildlife and pro land. They advocate for the expansion of government public land. That is not always popular with conservatives who believe we should give the land to the states or drill for oil on them. Land conservation is also generally pro-environmental regulation which is also anti-republican for some reason. So yeah, you can consider their efforts to be shady because their political views are different than yours, but that doesn't mean they are anti-hunter, green decoys or whatever you want to call them.

If the left wasn't so looney in most other areas I'd probably vote democrat because of their environmental stance. It's sad that this is a divisive issue at all, especially among hunters and anglers. 

Edited by Belo

So..............Back to the original thread. I worked on the Cornell University campus from 1979 until my retirement in 2009. I watched the campus deer population explode and it was mostly because of societal changes. Back in the day, deer were hardly ever seen on campus and then usually in the dead of night or during the rut. Dogs on the other hand, were every where. As long as they didn't bite anyone they were allowed to run free. Students would bring them to class and leave them outside to play with the other pooches. Eventually, the policy changed and dogs had to be on a leash, often tied to campus landscape while the folks attended class. The CU Grounds Department successfully advocated for the removal of such dogs and the deer took over the landscape. By 2008 the sterilization program had started and 130+ class bucks were visible tending does for hours at a time on campus lawns!  I honestly believe that a program of harrassing the deer population with dogs would have significantly reduced the campus deer population.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, Belo said:

The topic came up because Steve is not a brand for guns and ammo, he's a brand for hunting. My point is that that a call on semi-auto rifles doesn't affect hunters. I never said it doesn't affect the 2nd amendment.

You're now the second guy here in addition to phade who is hunting waterfowl with rifle and also promoting shooting running deer.

This place is funny. No wonder why the numbers keep dropping and dropping.

When did I say Anything about hunting waterfowl with a rifle? Shotguns are semi auto also. As far as shooting running deer goes, I have no issue with it when done in the right circumstances. I have taken multiple running deer over the years. 

Rinella promotes firearms, he is a brand for guns and ammo. 

20 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

When did I say Anything about hunting waterfowl with a rifle? Shotguns are semi auto also. As far as shooting running deer goes, I have no issue with it when done in the right circumstances. I have taken multiple running deer over the years. 

Rinella promotes firearms, he is a brand for guns and ammo. 

As I posted and linked to several times now, the quote from Cherin and the petition that he signed never called for a ban on semi-autos. Just on semi-auto rifles. That is the devils advocate that I was playing and this whole thing spiraled way out of control and I somehow began arguing an opinion I don't believe in myself, simply because a man I admire in Steve Rinella was called out.

So much so, that when I realized a few of my calls had reached their 3 year limit and I could no longer separate the reeds, so I placed an order ;)

IMG_0548.thumb.jpeg.1dec8355ef5a01a9d0efecd45bdf15c2.jpeg

• 2 months later...